PDA

View Full Version : My 17 Hour JSRF Impressions (longish)

kdorff
03-04-2002, 01:44 AM
Got JSRF this last Wednesday. Got it at Electronics Botique for $50.98 (about $1 more than I expected, but it was EB). Web sites said release was 2/26 but ALL stores stated they were getting the game on 2/27 (if they had a clue).

About me: I bought a Dreamcast about a month ago to play Jet Grind Radio in preparation of getting JSRF. I played JGR from start to finish. No, I didn't get EVERY Grafitti Soul, did get Jet on every level, but I did complete the entire game. JGR was a TON of fun.

Now onto JSRF. This game is a BLAST. I don't miss the old grafitti system AT ALL, I think the new one works JUST FINE, makes the game flow NICELY. The removal of time limit is great, more time to explore, do tricks, and check out the IMMENSE "levels" (look for those Grafitti Souls and Tapes).

Graphics are awesome, truely a notch above Jet Grind Radio -- and JGR had some great graphics.

Sounds is fantastic -- if you played JGR it is more of the same great music.

Music works well. The game says there are 30 tracks but being a fair bit through the game I am not really sure I have heard 30. Some of the songs get a little old but high quality. It think the only real improvements would have been (1) press a bunch to change songs ala Amped and (2) custom soundtracks.

Control is great, VERY much like JGR but I think it controls even a little better. The "boost" feature is nice and the visual effect is very cool. Grinding up poles and stuff is VERY cool. The extra "trick" button and "skate backwards" button are very cool. In air/rail tricks and combos are a GREAT and welcome addition.

Camera: people are dogging the game for the camera and yes, it has the SAME camera issues that existed in JGR; no better and no worse. If you played JGR and got used to the camera in that game you will be used to it in JSRF. Ocassionally with your back up to something you press the Left trigger to focus the camera you get a screenfull of black, a bit annoying, BUT that being known can be dealt with.

The game is more "flowing" than JGR, you aren't constantly popping in and out of the skating world -- you are pretty much always in it. If you want to save you have to skate back to the garage and talk to the Robot OR there are save points in EVERY level (which also let you switch skaters). VERY handy, VERY nice, GREAT addition.

Competitions OFTEN let you keep trying over and over without having to watch the competitor re-script every time you try. If you talk to the competitor again they will show you again, but you can just keep trying, which I think is cool.

The levels must be seen to be believed. They start big and get HUGE. No disappointments with any of the levels up to now -- I am on the skyscraper level.

My rating 9+/10. This game gets a BUY recommendation.

Toder
03-04-2002, 04:40 AM
there are actually 30 songs when you go to the robot you can set the garage music to any one of the 30 songs.

Snoopy7548
03-09-2002, 04:36 PM
i got the game for 52.99 at circuit city today, it was 49.99, but theres like 6% sales tax.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Plewis
03-09-2002, 11:25 PM
rented it today, and I think it is great! I am on the second level... the only bad thing to me far is that it was hard for me to get out to the first and second level because I couldn't find which exit to go through... I played for about an hour and half, and the graphics are great and I spent a lot of time just skating around jumping over cars, getting the little JSRF icon thingies I think there are only 2 on the second level... I got em both, and knocking over pedestrians... that is fun! But the camera thing didnt bother me... Overall it is a great game... worth a buy, but im broke:( trying to sell or trade a couple games online... I think i might have some good money soon... DELL AFFILIATE IN DA' HOUSE!:D

andylauck
03-10-2002, 01:33 AM
I like how people like you state your opinions about games I just hate how you people write books we all get what you are saying about the game. We just want to know if it is good or not so stop writing ten page reports on games. Thank you!
Originally posted by kdorff
Got JSRF this last Wednesday. Got it at Electronics Botique for $50.98 (about $1 more than I expected, but it was EB). Web sites said release was 2/26 but ALL stores stated they were getting the game on 2/27 (if they had a clue).

About me: I bought a Dreamcast about a month ago to play Jet Grind Radio in preparation of getting JSRF. I played JGR from start to finish. No, I didn't get EVERY Grafitti Soul, did get Jet on every level, but I did complete the entire game. JGR was a TON of fun.

Now onto JSRF. This game is a BLAST. I don't miss the old grafitti system AT ALL, I think the new one works JUST FINE, makes the game flow NICELY. The removal of time limit is great, more time to explore, do tricks, and check out the IMMENSE "levels" (look for those Grafitti Souls and Tapes).

Graphics are awesome, truely a notch above Jet Grind Radio -- and JGR had some great graphics.

Sounds is fantastic -- if you played JGR it is more of the same great music.

Music works well. The game says there are 30 tracks but being a fair bit through the game I am not really sure I have heard 30. Some of the songs get a little old but high quality. It think the only real improvements would have been (1) press a bunch to change songs ala Amped and (2) custom soundtracks.

Control is great, VERY much like JGR but I think it controls even a little better. The "boost" feature is nice and the visual effect is very cool. Grinding up poles and stuff is VERY cool. The extra "trick" button and "skate backwards" button are very cool. In air/rail tricks and combos are a GREAT and welcome addition.

Camera: people are dogging the game for the camera and yes, it has the SAME camera issues that existed in JGR; no better and no worse. If you played JGR and got used to the camera in that game you will be used to it in JSRF. Ocassionally with your back up to something you press the Left trigger to focus the camera you get a screenfull of black, a bit annoying, BUT that being known can be dealt with.

The game is more "flowing" than JGR, you aren't constantly popping in and out of the skating world -- you are pretty much always in it. If you want to save you have to skate back to the garage and talk to the Robot OR there are save points in EVERY level (which also let you switch skaters). VERY handy, VERY nice, GREAT addition.

Competitions OFTEN let you keep trying over and over without having to watch the competitor re-script every time you try. If you talk to the competitor again they will show you again, but you can just keep trying, which I think is cool.

The levels must be seen to be believed. They start big and get HUGE. No disappointments with any of the levels up to now -- I am on the skyscraper level.

My rating 9+/10. This game gets a BUY recommendation. :o :o :o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kdorff
03-10-2002, 09:56 AM
I know it sounds strange, but most people want to know more than (I Liked It, I Hated It, Buy It, Rent It). They want to know WHY I liked it or hated it. That is why I went into the detail I did in the different areas of the game. Suprisingly enough, that is WHY people put the actual numerical score at the end of a review: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY; for people to lazy or uninterested in reading the whole thing (I suppose like yourself). I PERSONALLY cannot stand 2 line reviews, they don't give me information that would help me decide if _I_ would like the game.