PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of scanning the serial number when buying an xbox?

Bladefire
03-04-2002, 02:22 PM
Does Microsoft use the information somehow, or do the retail stores keep track of them independently?

What would happen if you bought an xbox online or something that turned out to be stolen(meaning the serial number was never "registered" as being purchased) , and you tried to get a service plan(or something like that) with MS. Would that cause problems?

Odd questions, I know, but I'm mostly just curious.

JJaX
03-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Why is grimace purple?

Bladefire
03-04-2002, 02:32 PM
gotcha

Ninja Scroll
03-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Well scanning console is nothing new. I just bought a GameBoy Advance on Saturday and on the back of the box it insisted that the sales associate scan the GBA even though there is a bar code on the bottom of the box.

They do this so they know which system was sold, when, where, ect.
Also for other reasons as well.;)

Ninja Scroll
03-04-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by JJaX
Why is grimace purple?

JJax, what with you sunshine!?:confused:
Every week you change personalities and *****?
What's going on man? Ninja's concerned about one of his xbox brotherens.:(

Bladefire
03-04-2002, 02:45 PM
Is this information cross referenced with MS in any way?

Someone I know thinks they may have bought a stolen xbox, but they're not sure.

Think the retailer might report the serial number as "stolen or missing" to MS?

JJaX
03-04-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

JJax, what with you sunshine!?:confused:
Every week you change personalities and *****?
What's going on man? Ninja's concerned about one of his xbox brotherens.:(

Heheh well im am LocO MaN @_0

wweomaniac
03-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Thet don't scan the Serial #, they scan the UPC code. The SN is the # beneath your XBOX.

UPCs are used for stores to keep track of their products and see which ones are doing well and which arent. They are mainly used to just keep track of items.

They probably have some use for MS, but I dunno. I think that all the information put into the store's database gets sent to another independent company after for studying. I dunno.

JJaX
03-04-2002, 03:25 PM
tell your friend hes just being paranoid. I wouldnt even think twice about the matter again.

Bladefire
03-04-2002, 03:26 PM
Thet don't scan the Serial #, they scan the UPC code. The SN is the # beneath your XBOX.

Usually when buying consoles, don't they scan both the UPC and the Serial?

Bladefire
03-04-2002, 03:40 PM
tell your friend hes just being paranoid. I wouldnt even think twice about the matter again.

my thoughts exactly

LynxFX
03-04-2002, 03:40 PM
They scan the serial number so it shows up on your receipt. It helps them out for inventory and for possible returns later on. No biggie.

Razor70
03-04-2002, 04:23 PM
Actually I work for the local Wal-mart in the electronics department and when we sell a video game system we have to scan the UPC and the Serial Number. Just to let you know that when the Serial Number is scanned through our system it does send information to the company (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft) and let's them know when the system was sold. When we have a return we have a 800 number to call and when we call it it can tell us exactly when the item was purchased and where. That way we know if it has been passed the 90 day return mark and would have to be sent in for repairs. Also, it shows up on the receipt and if the serial number on the box and the system do not match then we cannot take it back. That's Wal-marts policy anyways..I don't know about other companies though.

AvedisZ
03-04-2002, 06:13 PM
Hey Bladefire, what the heck is you sig pic? Nasa's new proton cams?