PDA

View Full Version : How Dumb

GamerSince'76
11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Microsoft screws up INQ's Xbox 360 repair
Updated Vole nicks PSU, box and chrome accessories

By Dean Pullen: Tuesday, 20 November 2007, 8:58 AM

WE JUST KNEW it wouldn't go smoothly.

Shortly after our Xbox 360 went to the mass-grave of RROD failures, when playing the mediocre Halo 3, we sent it off to Microsoft for our free repair.

We packaged it nicely. Dusting off the original retail box from mothballed storage, we carefully placed the 360 in, coupled with the PSU and a substantial amount of original packaging.

We also left the chrome 360 plate on the DVD drive - this was a Core unit which we had customised with a chrome DVD tray to make it appear to be a Premium SKU - Core units were the only consoles available in shops on day one.

We finally received our repaired 360 unit back in the post today. But things were slightly amiss.

First, the console came packaged in a cardboard box. Gone was our original retail box and packaging, instantly removing a substantial amount of resell value.

Secondly we noticed our beloved chrome DVD tray had disappeared in favour of an original off-white plastic plate. The swines!

Most importantly though, our heavy, expensive Xbox 360 power supply was nowhere to be seen.

Microsoft, having written off a billion dollars obviously needed to recoup as much money as it could on each console repair, and so has resorted to filching INQ property!

Lastly, and possibly the most humorous part of this debacle, is the fact that the console wasn't correctly repaired.

The Core unit had been suffering from an intermittent RROD, which is what we had specified in the repair form to Microsoft.

Instead, they've 'repaired' the DVD drive, which, though bloody noisy, never gave us any problems.

Microsoft, if you're reading this, please return our items as soon as possible. ยต

*UPDATE
While a lot of people have said that MS asks not to send cables and accessories back, they (if our memory serves us correctly, anyone with the full correct text should email us) don’t explicitly state the PSU – which is a fundamental part in the operation of the console, so you might believe you need to also send it back.

We've found some readers send in HDDs with their consoles and quite often get these back fine. We're also sure that with some poking we'll also get our PSU back from customer services. Also of note is that we never had a box sent to us, nor were told we were going to get one, thus the use of original packaging.

The bigger point made by this article is that Microsoft ignored the description of the fault – an intermittent RROD problem – and replaced a non-faulty DVD drive. We suspect our 360 will simply fail once again further down the line. We also note that you cannot re-apply for another repair via the Microsoft support website.

Link:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/20/microsoft-screws-inq-xbox-360

They send in the original box and power supply and then whine about it. Total dumbasses. They say "most importantly" describingthe missing power supply then go on to say that's not the most important thing.

CrazyCougar
11-21-2007, 08:07 AM
They sent in the power supply, original packaging and the faceplate as well. MS specifically says when you call in the repair, to only send in the unit and no accessories. What morons. I am glad MS stuck it to them.

HaZarD SFD
11-21-2007, 08:22 AM
They sent in the power supply, original packaging and the faceplate as well. MS specifically says when you call in the repair, to only send in the unit and no accessories. What morons. I am glad MS stuck it to them.

I sent mine in with PSU and the Video cables.. I got all mine back but best
buy let me get a new one off shelf and take it home as my Xbox was totally
farked.

Yeah MS does imply to not send any accessories with it.

Hmm.. My XboX does sound like its going to take off when its running a game.
Is that normal?

CrazyCougar
11-21-2007, 08:25 AM
My previous 360's were extremely loud, but the refurbished one, my elite, and my son's 360 currently in the house are all quiet as a mouse. I couldnt believe the difference when I started one of these most recent 360's.

l Maximus l
11-21-2007, 09:15 AM
I have a launch 360, never been refurbished, and it sounds like there are mini jet packs are going to pop out of each side and it's going to take off out of my window. Other than the loud noise, it's rock solid... the audio from gaming completely buries the sound coming from the 360, so, all is good in the Maximus household :)

Reclaimer
11-21-2007, 12:43 PM
I have a launch unit too and it really sounds like it's going to launch into high orbit around Uranus..

The Inquire = retards.

I know for a fact there is a statement about not sending anything but the actual 360. They don't need a PSU.
So they talk smack because they got served?
It's their own stupidity at hand.

Anyway.. except for three random lock ups, I've never had a major problem with my 360.

Except for a friend of mine who bought a used unit from Gamestop and it was broken.. never booted up.
Exchanged one that put up 4 red lights on boot up.
Exchanged it for on that had DD errors.

Got his money back and finally just bought a brand new Elite.
Lesson learned? Don't buy a used 360.

Ainokeatoo
11-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I have a launch 360, never been refurbished, and it sounds like there are mini jet packs are going to pop out of each side and it's going to take off out of my window. Other than the loud noise, it's rock solid... the audio from gaming completely buries the sound coming from the 360, so, all is good in the Maximus household :)

:) we're in the same boat maxi my launch xbox still has yet to break down on me :)