PDA

View Full Version : Not exacty a faceplate but still worth a look

moltenluv
11-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Ever since GH III came out when I search eBay for faceplates I also get guitarplates (I don't know what else to call them) in my search results. This is the first really good custom that I have seen. I know that this isn't exactly related to this forum but it makes me wonder what they could make with a faceplate. This is really well done. Oh yeah its eBay item number 130177259437 and it is completely hand pained no stickers or anything like that!

http://i13.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/c6/af/5fa8_1.JPG

cheezymonkey999
11-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I dont have guitar hero yet, so i havent bought any of these kinda plates. I actually think im gonna never get any becuase if i start then ill have a new addiction and itll take away from my current one...

cin84_12
11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
That looks great. Did you find any others?

moltenluv
11-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I have seen a few other customs out there but none of this caliber. Somebody really needs to recruit this person and have them start making custom 360 faceplates. Spacey I nominate you! Even if I did have GH III I don't think I would be into the guitarplates that much. I guess they just don't appeal to me.

faceplates = :hump:
guitarplates = :sleeping: (except for this one which totally rocks)

Nato King
11-29-2007, 04:13 PM
yeah I have seen alot of those guitarplates but I am really looking for a guitar hero faceplate.

cheezymonkey999
11-29-2007, 04:29 PM
im suprised they dont have one in stores... ida bought it and i dont even have the game.

SpaceGhost2K
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
I made a Guitar Hero III faceplate as a prize in a local launch tournament.

And guitar facepaltes count as much as the others. It'll just be a while before there's any "collections" out there to show off. We'll alter the database to handle them, just not right at the beginning.

Eddie_the_Hated
12-11-2007, 06:09 PM
it makes me wonder what they could make with a faceplate.

It's a very slick mod to be sure. It would be interesting to see if they're as diverse as they are talented, because (this of course being one man's humble opinion) that style of paint job wouldn't seem to work on pieces with smaller dimensions (aka, faceplates).

moltenluv
12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Well the custom orange guitarplate didn't sell the first time around but the seller has relisted it plus they have a new one up. Check it out, eBay item 130183312332 or click here (http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-PAINTED-GUITAR-HERO-CONTROLLER-FACEPLATE_W0QQitemZ130183312332QQihZ003QQcategoryZ122517QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://i8.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/cc/53/7c02_12.JPG

Ry
12-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Nice, Im thinking about getting one, but are those for the wireless one? they dont look like my guitar

SpaceGhost2K
12-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Smokin'.

Yeah, he/she needs to be making faceplates fer sure.

moltenluv
12-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Well I invited them to join us here and they told me that you already had done so.

Dreadog
12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
I`m the guy painting these guitar hero faceplates. I am planning on painting up a few Xbox facer plates. 1 Halo faceplate and probably 1 Bioshock faceplate to start. I do these in between painting my regular jobs ( motorcycles, cars, etc.). If anybody has any questions about a faceplate they would like painted or questions about painting one themselves just ask. I`ve been custom painting for 10 years, I do airbrushing, pinstripping, murals, 24 karat gold and sliver leafing, and the size of these faceplates isn`t an issue I can get very detailed. Everything I paint is done with automotive paint so I can get pretty elaborate. If anyone would like to check out some of my other work I have an online portfolio at pinheadlounge.com/Dreadog, I update it regularly with work I`ve done.

Ry
12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Dreadog, do you have them for the wired guitar??

SpaceGhost2K
12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
I can't even imagine what a faceplate from you would cost. If you have some cost estimates with a couple of ideas what you'd get for that cost, PM me please.

Elite-Concepts
12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.pinheadlounge.com/view.php?image=21905&cind=20

this 1 is awesome dreadog how is that done just airbrush or, is it hard to colour blend and all that with an airbrush because i have no idea how it works lol

Dreadog
12-15-2007, 11:59 AM
I`ll let ya in on my trick for that, thats a regular picture frame that I used and took spray adhesive and glued some fancy foil type wrapping paper to the back piece of the frame then pinstriped the back of the glass. That was just something I put together with stuff I had around the house.

Nato King
12-15-2007, 12:14 PM
I`m the guy painting these guitar hero faceplates. I am planning on painting up a few Xbox facer plates. 1 Halo faceplate and probably 1 Bioshock faceplate to start. I do these in between painting my regular jobs ( motorcycles, cars, etc.). If anybody has any questions about a faceplate they would like painted or questions about painting one themselves just ask. I`ve been custom painting for 10 years, I do airbrushing, pinstripping, murals, 24 karat gold and sliver leafing, and the size of these faceplates isn`t an issue I can get very detailed. Everything I paint is done with automotive paint so I can get pretty elaborate. If anyone would like to check out some of my other work I have an online portfolio at pinheadlounge.com/Dreadog, I update it regularly with work I`ve done.

Welcome Welcome Welcome to XBA here you can express your self and many ways. I for one am a new faceplate collector. If there is anything that the staff here can do to make your stay better just PM us we are always here to help.

Elite-Concepts
12-15-2007, 10:59 PM
I`ll let ya in on my trick for that, thats a regular picture frame that I used and took spray adhesive and glued some fancy foil type wrapping paper to the back piece of the frame then pinstriped the back of the glass. That was just something I put together with stuff I had around the house.

what exactly is pin stripping then, do you do that with an airbrush as well then or... sorry if i sound like a complete noob asking this as its some impressive work and wouldnt mind giving this a go myself if i knew how haha

Dreadog
12-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Its ok, Pinstriping is done with a brush designed just for pinstriping those thin lines you see on the panels. There are many different knids of pinstriping brushes but the best and most common are made by Mack brushes, there called sword stripers because of their shape. I usually use a 00 brush the numbers if the brush indicate the size, how much hair the brush has. They start at 000 and go up to 4. The higher the number the more paint and thicker of a line you`ll get. This is a whole different art than airbrushing, and like I said in my reply to you about airbrushing, pinstriping takes lots and lots of practice to get a steady hand and consistent lines. If pinstriping is something you`d like to seriously like to try and learn, let me I`ll give you the tips and tricks for picking a brush and how to maintain it!

Elite-Concepts
12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
yer i would definatly like to learn, is it an expensive hobby, so u drew it all three hand, wow thats impressive, i thought maybe it was a template because it looks really simerical :| cant spell lol

~EC

SpaceGhost2K
12-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I have an airbrush that was a gift. I will start practicing with it once Christmas is over. I doubt I could ever pinstripe. Too much caffeine. That is, unless you WANTED a pinstripe that looked like a seismograph.

Dreadog
12-16-2007, 03:33 PM
It can get expensive, but not right in the beginning. All you need to start practicing is a can of sign painters paint like ONE SHOT lettering enamel. I don`t know how availible it is in the UK, but there have to be sign painters in the UK or order it off the net. Then a pinstriping brush, probably a Mack 00 would be a good start, and a bottle of mineral oil to store the brush. The mineral oil keeps the hair from drying out and getting brittle. Terpintine to thin out the paint and make it workable, lacquer thinner to clean the brush in, a couple of glass jars for the mineral oil and lacquer thinner. And last but most important a couple of books or videos on how to pinstripe.

1. sign painters lettering enamel
2. A brush, Mack 00 sword striper
3. Small bottle of mineral oil, available at most drug and grocery stores
4. Terpintine
5. Lacquer thinner
6. 3 glass jars
7. pallettes, you can use glossy magazine pages in a pinch, but I use 4x6 photo paper.
8. popcicle sticks or tongue depressors, to stir the paint. Hobby shops would have that.
9. Books or videos on how to pinstripe
Then start pinstriping anything you can get your hands on, its not going to be easy at first. But keep at it and keep practicing the more you practice the better you`ll get, and its not like riding a bike if you stop doing it, you`ll lose it.

Dreadog
12-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Anybody can pinstripe, I`ve seen old timers that have been pinstriping for 35 years and their hands shake so bad you wonder how they can even hold a brush. Then they pick it up and the shaking stops and it looks like their hand is on a track when they move, its crazy! You just train your self to do it, I drink caffeine all day long. When I first started my hand shook and the more I did it the more steady my hand got!

SpaceGhost2K
12-16-2007, 03:49 PM
You keep painting like that, you'll be shaking a LOT of hands.

I'd like to commission a plate from you in January. Pencil me in if there's room. Heck, write it in pen.

Dreadog
12-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah no problem, just let me know what you want and I`ll paint it up!

Elite-Concepts
12-16-2007, 04:38 PM
how much does ur plates cost drea, btw where did u get the faceplate for guitar heroes because i cant find them in england, well blank 1s anyway

SpaceGhost2K
12-16-2007, 05:49 PM
how much does ur plates cost drea, btw where did u get the faceplate for guitar heroes because i cant find them in england, well blank 1s anyway

They sell a variety of preprinted GHIII faceplates here for $14.99. You'd just take one of those and repaint it.

Wait a second, you're in England? I need to place an order with you, LOL!

Elite-Concepts
12-16-2007, 05:55 PM
haha whats the order?

Dreadog
12-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I`m charging $65 plus $10 US for the ones already made up. If you want one custom made it would depend on how elaborate you want it. Heres a peak at the one I`m working on now. Its another Les Paul style face plate in chrome with the artwork painted right on the chrome with the ONE SHOT lettering enamel I mentioned earlier and painted with different size lettering quills.

moltenluv
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Ok I found another custom guitarplate. This is a Halo 3 themed one. eBay item 320203293603 (http://cgi.ebay.com/Halo-themed-Guitar-Hero-3-Faceplate_W0QQitemZ320203293603QQihZ011QQcategoryZ122517QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

http://i10.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/cf/d8/a3c2_1.JPG