PDA

View Full Version : November NPD's: Microsoft Mops Up

GamerSince'76
12-13-2007, 11:29 PM
November NPDs: Microsoft's Reaction

While it was always going to be tough for Sony to put a good spin on the latest NPD figures, for Microsoft, things were a little easier. The 360 kicked the PS3's ass, a 360 release topped the software sales charts and two Microsoft first-party titles (Mass Effect & Halo 3) made the top 10. And aside from a failed attempt to gain "victory" for the month by citing "most dollars spent" (sorry MS, we count numbers sold, not dollars spent), that's exactly what they focused on.

Xbox 360 - Consumers voting with their wallets, Xbox 360 winning this holiday
Fueled by the greatest holiday lineup in video game history, consumers spent more holiday dollars on Xbox 360 consoles, games and accessories than any other platform in the month of November according to NPD.

#1 in Game Sales: Four of the Top Ten Titles are on Xbox 360, compared to three on the Wii and two on the PS3.

Xbox 360 holds the #1 title with "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" (Activision), selling nearly 1.5 million units on Xbox 360, compared to 444,000 units on the PS3.

#1 in Total Revenue: Xbox 360 leads in total revenue with $763 million compared to $587 million for Wii and $364 million for PS3 according to NPD.

#1 in Game Quality: Xbox 360 delivers the highest-rated games lineup this generation, with 6 out of the top 10 rated games through the end of November according to Metacritic, the world-wide authority in entertainment reviews.

Link:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/npd/november-npds-microsofts-reaction-333834.php

Way to go MS. It's going to be a very merry Christmas !!!!!!!!!!

bloodlines
12-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Well it would be kind of easy for Microsoft to make more money then Sony. I mean we have to pay for EVERYTHING...but the game sales are pretty self explanatory. Nobody wants to play online when it hasnt been developed to its full potential. Anyway Sony makes consoles for the long haul. Expect the ps3 to be around a long time, even after the new systems come out.

GamerSince'76
12-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Well it would be kind of easy for Microsoft to make more money then Sony. I mean we have to pay for EVERYTHING...but the game sales are pretty self explanatory. Nobody wants to play online when it hasnt been developed to its full potential. Anyway Sony makes consoles for the long haul. Expect the ps3 to be around a long time, even after the new systems come out.

True in one way that MS makes us pay for everything. My Play & Charge kit uses two Sanyo rechargeable batteries in a nice case with a nice cord that either glows red or green at whim. It has nothing to do with the battery charge. It unreliable. So I pay $30 for a Play & Charge kit that has rechargeable batteries (which MS advises not to use) that would normally cost me $10.

Having said that, why do people put up with a high console failure rate and overpriced proprietary add ons? The games. You want to play the best console games, you need a 360. Sony claims that the PS3 is futureproof. That's good because in the hereandnowproof they are getting their ass kicked.

SpaceGhost2K
12-14-2007, 01:38 AM
Sure, MS could say that more money was spent on MS stuff, but that's just if you're looking at hardware (consoles) and software (games). That's not even counting accessories or LIVE subs/MS points.

bloodlines
12-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Here and now is just the pasts future. (hehe) And the past just repeats itself, so if MIcrosoft don't realize what they got here with this lead and put the nail in the coffin, they are gonna be surprised when sony gets a jump on them. I mean think about it, would you ever had thought that they would sell that many PS3's at that price point?

Variation-XBA
12-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Selling systems is one thing, but no one else (even the Wii), can touch 360's attatch rate which is a huge deal

Unreal
12-15-2007, 02:52 AM
Here and now is just the pasts future. (hehe) And the past just repeats itself, so if MIcrosoft don't realize what they got here with this lead and put the nail in the coffin, they are gonna be surprised when sony gets a jump on them. I mean think about it, would you ever had thought that they would sell that many PS3's at that price point?
I dont have the link but you do realize the Sony dropped the price of the system (40gig model) for November. The price is also one of the downfalls to Sony's new system. Which is one of the reasons I don't own one. That and most big 3rd party games are on the 360 as well. O.T. Good to see MS doing well.

bloodlines
12-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeh I know and people also don't realise that a lot of systems were sold at the higher price range. I think the price was its only downfall at launch. I mean they would have sold more at the November price at launch because people would buy them just because they're from Sony. But anyway I'm not going say anything more on the subject, this is Xboxaddict afterall, and bias is kind of a given.

GamerSince'76
12-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeh I know and people also don't realise that a lot of systems were sold at the higher price range. I think the price was its only downfall at launch. I mean they would have sold more at the November price at launch because people would buy them just because they're from Sony. But anyway I'm not going say anything more on the subject, this is Xboxaddict afterall, and bias is kind of a given.

Besides a ridiculusly high price of $600, there were comments from Kutaragi that must have been inspired by a bong. Add to the fact that Sony has lost most of their exclusives combined with half assed ports and you don't have bias. You have consumer logic.

bloodlines
12-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I feel you, but seeing as how the developers say its harder to develop for the PS3 maybe the porting is the main cause of the PS3's "slacking." Anyway, I could really care less. I got my 360 and there is no way I'd be paying for a PS3.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
12-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Who would even want a PS3, im not even trying to bash them but honestly wat do they have to offer. I cant see myself buying one cause id know for a fact it would be collecting dust.. xbox features so much more.. better games better online and now its even spuding into the world of texting outside of the world of xbox live,rent movies etc.. .., and if they keep putting awesome games like mass effect , halo,cod4 , gears etc.. PS3 wont stand i chance .. and im not being consulist i also own a wii and i see wat they offer but cmon i couldnt even have fun with the psp i got for xmas last year ... sony is always gonna be around they have tv's etc... they have fuel to keep going , but towards quality in gaming there done the big boy took over XBOX FOR EVA!!