PDA

View Full Version : I've left a man... for a girl.

SpaceGhost2K
12-16-2007, 02:15 AM
There's a website called modchipman.com. I don't recommend the site for mods because I'm anti-mod, so let's not even go there.

Anyway, I used to shop there for faceplates when I needed one that was clear or if I needed one with the DVD bezel and eject button.

But they had this weird ordering system. Plates were $19.99, $16.99 if you bought 3+, and they went down from there. Well they put them on sale for $9.99 which wasn't bad. I'd put on in my cart and sure enough, $9.99. I'd put two, and voila, $19.98. I'd put THREE, and suddenly they were $16.99 each because the sale didn't override the quantity discount. I never got responses back by email, had trouble getting my card to work online, and when I got a guy, he never had the answer and had to ask the boss. He couldn't override the qty. discount issue so I only bought plates from him in twos.

Pretty ridiculous, but it was the only way I could meet my needs for these two issues.

Anyway, someone was talking about decalgirl.com in the xbox forums, about whether they should allow links to the site since they also have mod stuff (tho all of the links were about skins and not mods). Then I read about them again in that facepalte quality article someone linked to here. Anyway, I checked out the site, and they had a five pack of clear plates. Five different colors and only one crystal clear plate (the other four were tinted). They were on sale for $30.00 but there was no sign of extra parts. I emailed decalgirl about the pieces and emailed modchipman at the same time about some plates on their site that also did not have the extra pieces (some did, some didn't). To do THAT, I had to register at a different site, just to ask them a question.

Within a few hours I had a reply back from decalgirl that they did indeed come with the extra pieces. They also asked if I knew that replacing the eject button required opening the box, which was nice of them to MAKE SURE I HAD ALL OF THE INFORMATION I MIGHT NEED. This was a few days ago. I still haven't heard back from modchipman. I ordered two sets of five plates, which with shipping came to $75.00 for ten clear plates with DVD bezels and eject buttons.

I'll let you know when they get here, but even before they're here, I can tell you that I'm done with modchipman.

gameking28
12-16-2007, 02:27 AM
F*ck modchipman. I've had problems with them for a long time.
The first time I had ever heard of decalgirl was in that thread you referenced, but I've heard nothing but good things since then.
Sounds like you traded up Spaceghost. ;-)

GamerSince'76
12-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Clever topic title and nice to see modchipmoron lose the business. If everyone modded the industry would die.

I went to a company that modded to have my original Xbox put into a clear case. The guy asked me twice if I'm sure that I didn't want my console modded at the same time. He admitted he never swapped a case before.

He did a good job but the case looked like crap. Instead of saing Xbox or nothing it said something goofy like XCM or something which was the case manufacturer. Ended up immediately selling it. It looked bad.

SpaceGhost2K
12-16-2007, 03:05 PM
I have been thinking about putting my Xbox into a Millenium Falcon and my Gamecube into an AT-AT. I won't go online with either.

That's VINTAGE Falcon too, BTW.

gameking28
12-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Have you seen the pictures of the ones that have been done? They turn out pretty amazing.
http://tomatostick.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/falcon-xbox1.jpg?w=344&h=248
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/images/2005-07-14/gamecube.jpg

SpaceGhost2K
12-16-2007, 03:47 PM
I bought the "plans" for the Falcon one, and then ran into the guy online who actually made it. He said that some guy took his pics, made a pdf file, and that's what I bought. He said he'd help me with it if I decide to do it.

Elite-Concepts
12-16-2007, 05:38 PM
where could i learn how to do something like this?
just bought an elite now so got my old 360 that i could do something like that with? I would be really interested in making something like this, would you sell the plans space?

~EC

SpaceGhost2K
12-16-2007, 05:42 PM
The guy who sold the "plans" didn't have the rights to. It's just the other guy's picks with some gibberish "directions." PM your address to me and I'll just email them to you.