PDA

View Full Version : trying to recreate "xbox white" out of a spray can

loyalty
12-17-2007, 03:10 AM
I've "shaved" off the memory card doors and controller sync button on a spare faceplate i had, but after repainting to hide the fiberglass and bondo, i realized that the paint i thought looked pretty close to factory white was way off. since i'm going to resand and now remove the usb port door, anyone know of a spray paint that's a little closer to xbox white? much thanks in advanced.

here's a pic for reference
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/jeremywyatt/finalfaceplate.jpg

SpaceGhost2K
12-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I've "shaved" off the memory card doors and controller sync button on a spare faceplate i had, but after repainting to hide the fiberglass and bondo, i realized that the paint i thought looked pretty close to factory white was way off. since i'm going to resand and now remove the usb port door, anyone know of a spray paint that's a little closer to xbox white? much thanks in advanced.

here's a pic for reference
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/jeremywyatt/finalfaceplate.jpg

Yeah, that's a toughy. I can't tell you how many cans of green I went through before I found one to use for Master Chief. Of course it doesn't help that every picture of MC was a different shade of green.

FlawIe55
12-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Im not sure about the paint, I'm actually looking for some white also.

but as for the bondo job, Its pretty sweet. Be sure to post a pic when you get the other door bondo'ed.

Not sure how useful it would be to me, as I use the big door all the time, but the idea is great anyhow.

loyalty
12-17-2007, 11:37 PM
thanks. yeah i never use mine. the only time i'd ever have to pull off the faceplate would be if my controller wouldn't sync for some reason

cheezymonkey999
12-18-2007, 11:10 AM
CRAP... im doing that on 2 faceplates i have... Im covering the power ring though too. I thought i was the only one.

Elite-Concepts
12-18-2007, 11:47 AM
what do you use to cover the buttons up?

cheezymonkey999
12-18-2007, 07:21 PM
I used this modeling clay... but it started to shrink and crack. So then i used a few coats of elmers glue to smooth things out. Now im sanding them, and am gonna paint them with this cool rock texture paint i just got. I think they are gonna look pretty sweet.

FlawIe55
12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
CRAP... im doing that on 2 faceplates i have... Im covering the power ring though too. I thought i was the only one.

post a pic of the power button one too, that will look pretty cool. Be real nice for a custom paint job too.

loyalty
12-18-2007, 08:35 PM
i used fiberglass and bondo (a throwback from my car audio days)

cheezymonkey999
12-18-2007, 08:44 PM
ive never used fiberglass or bondo... If i had any i definitly woulda used that instead. I just painted one of the plates and its looking pretty good. Not perfect over the power button though. Ill sand the other one down more. When i get a chance ill post some pics.

loyalty
12-18-2007, 08:47 PM
bondo is pretty handy, it even filled the little wavy lines by the sync button, and i'll use it again to fill the little dots over the usb door