PDA

View Full Version : Smudges on my games.

mutha_ucka
12-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Hello all, I have been having problems one games with my 360 lately and it only happens to whenever I play NHL 08 and no other games. However my brother says he's having the same problems with him system but it's with Lost Planet and NHL 08. We are both getting freezing during games, and sometimes the "Disc Unreadable Error". I have noticed when I take the disc out to see if it is scratched, it is not, it does however have something that looks like smudges on them. I would clean it and then the smudges would come back. It is obvious the system is doing something to the discs.

Can anyone enlighten me on what's causing this and if and how I can fix it.

Thanks in advance

GamerSince'76
12-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Welcome to XBA. The best Xbox 360 gaming site on the internet.

As for the unreadable disk issue. This is what MS has to say about it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909819

As for the smudges, I never heard of that being a problem. IMHO call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and tell them about both problems.

mutha_ucka
12-25-2007, 09:51 PM
yeah it looks like the dvd player or the laser itself is leaving smudge like imprints on my brother and my games. like i said though for me it is just NHL08 that's giving me this problem. at first i thought it was the game and i got it exchanged, but the new one is also doing it now, and it's doing it on my brother's system also.

these smudge like imprints sometimes are usually like a ring around the disc, it seems like the laser is too powerful and burning or melting the dye on the disc, if that makes sense or even possible. but you can wipe the smudges off, pop the disc back in and the game would run again for an undetermined amount of time.

Ainokeatoo
12-26-2007, 01:41 AM
>.> You do know you are able to see the data that is put onto the disk right? If you hold it in the light you will see the ring around the disk that is the game it self. If it's the same ring i'm thinking about. Also, it's most likely the game, not the disk, the game. If it doesn't happen to any other disks you have then it's most likely the game.

GamerSince'76
12-26-2007, 01:44 AM
There was a story a while back about Blu-ray discs rotting. Maybe it is the disc since it doesn't happen with any other games.

Ainokeatoo
12-26-2007, 01:57 AM
There was a story a while back about Blu-ray discs rotting. Maybe it is the disc since it doesn't happen with any other games.

I thought that to, but my friend has a similar problem *just the game won't play at all* but it's only one specific game so i'm guessing it's the game not the disc.

mutha_ucka
12-26-2007, 11:32 AM
for my brother and I it's happening on different games.

my bothers system:

Gears of war
Lost Planet
NHL 08 (my copy)

my system:

NHL08....so far (my copy also, which has been exchanged for another and still the same problem)

All other games are running fine at least for me anyways, I can play my copy of Gears of war and Halo3 and all my other games for hours on end and I would never get the error or the smudges. I also heard that Halo3 when it first came out did the same thing.

So, now I don't know what to think, is it certain games, or the system or certain games with certain systems, cause I know that not all the systems are made with the same internals.

I'm thinking about just returning mine and exchanging it for another.

GamerSince'76
12-26-2007, 12:44 PM
for my brother and I it's happening on different games.

my bothers system:

Gears of war
Lost Planet
NHL 08 (my copy)

my system:

NHL08....so far (my copy also, which has been exchanged for another and still the same problem)

All other games are running fine at least for me anyways, I can play my copy of Gears of war and Halo3 and all my other games for hours on end and I would never get the error or the smudges. I also heard that Halo3 when it first came out did the same thing.

So, now I don't know what to think, is it certain games, or the system or certain games with certain systems, cause I know that not all the systems are made with the same internals.

If you can exchange you console that's a good idea. I've been reading about consoles on a daily basis for the last 7 years and I've never heard of this problem (smudges on games). What color is it? Does it smell like anything?

mutha_ucka
12-26-2007, 04:16 PM
i never noticed the smell but it is like a greyish or white color. either way the areas of the disc affected is not reflective anymore but it wipes of like there was something spilled on it and it dried. i know it sounds strange. maybe if i remember and it happens again i can take a picture of it and post it here.

Mendo
12-26-2007, 09:10 PM
This might be a long shot but it could be possible that one of your discs were dirty with something and when you put it instead the spinning cause it to spray the inside of your system.

I know that sounds weird but it happened to my original xbox and its the exact same problem your having. And it would explain why both your xbox's have the same problem.

Try exchanging your system for another or if you cant do that see if there is a way to clean the inside. Should clear up that problem.

mutha_ucka
12-26-2007, 10:42 PM
no it is not dirty, nor is it scratched. trust me i've looked many times to see if it was something i did, if anything i am putting more minor scratches on it just by cleaning this smudge like stuff every time i get the error. i dont think it has to do anything with the system overheating, cause the times that the error happens we have never played the game for more than an hour. but we can play other for hours with no problems, like today we were playing marvel ultimate alliance gold edition for at least 6 hours with no problems at all.

just a note, both of our systems are always laid flat and not standing up, which i dont think it has anything to do with the problem. i still think that possibly some of the systems lasers are calibrated a little too strong, and it might at times be melting the dye on the dvd so to speak.

or maybe because the dvd drive consists or mechanical components, and as we all know moving mechanical components need to be greased and it's a possibility that there is excess grease on these components and it might fly onto the discs due to it spinning at a high rate of speed.

if that makes any sense.

Mendo
12-27-2007, 10:41 PM
I dunno if the xbox has that much grease to begin with but i was thinking more of something in your house thats near your xbox that could have spilled on it? Or just maybe really dusty.

Either way, best of luck trying to fix your xbox. Its ironic to me cause now my nhl 2007 is getting the dirty disc thing too... I think its from scratches though.

mutha_ucka
12-27-2007, 11:56 PM
there is nothing spilled on it on either of our games or systems. we don't eat or drink anywhere near these systems. besides this happens when the disc is in the drive, so unless i have magical powers that i know of and every time i take a drink of something, some of it somehow magically disappears from my mouth appears onto the disc instead then maybe that's what's happening, cause that's the way any liquids would get on these discs at all.

Variation-XBA
12-29-2007, 01:31 AM
Smudges = fingerprints and general maluse of the disc.
those rings occur when the system is moved while the disc is spinning, hence a little grinding action (user fault as well)

So you need to be more clear, cause you say smudges, I think greasy finger paw prints.

GamerSince'76
12-29-2007, 02:08 AM
there is nothing spilled on it on either of our games or systems. we don't eat or drink anywhere near these systems. besides this happens when the disc is in the drive, so unless i have magical powers that i know of and every time i take a drink of something, some of it somehow magically disappears from my mouth appears onto the disc instead then maybe that's what's happening, cause that's the way any liquids would get on these discs at all.

Do you have flies on your windows even in the winter?

j\k. I'm overtired. That was lame humor and I think I'm the only one who gets it. (laughs probably will).

If you can exchange your console then IMHO do it. If not then give Xbox Support a call.

mutha_ucka
12-29-2007, 11:35 AM
alright i am starting to get a little frustrated here. i understand when people say it usually the users fault and smudges mean finger prints. let me just say that when you buy a game and remove the packaging, take the game out by the edges, hence no finger prints and then put it in the system to play and then get the error, that is NOT user error. i don't know if these are smudges or not, i'm just saying to me it looks like smudges and it wipes off like it. to me scratches don't wipe off with your shirt or a clean cloth or what have you. and i don't understand why people almost seem like they keep insisting on having stuff spilled on it. the game comes out of the case and into the machine, i dont pour pepsi on it before it goes int he system.

i understand what some people are saying when, if the system is moved it could cause scratching. but the system is never moved, it stays where it was when i first bought it and it hasn't moved since, why i would need to move it when a game is in or when your are playing it is beyond me. set the system where u want it, turn it on and play, that's all there is to it. system it not moved or being moved.

GamerSince'76
12-29-2007, 01:49 PM
alright i am starting to get a little frustrated here. i understand when people say it usually the users fault and smudges mean finger prints. let me just say that when you buy a game and remove the packaging, take the game out by the edges, hence no finger prints and then put it in the system to play and then get the error, that is NOT user error. i don't know if these are smudges or not, i'm just saying to me it looks like smudges and it wipes off like it. to me scratches don't wipe off with your shirt or a clean cloth or what have you. and i don't understand why people almost seem like they keep insisting on having stuff spilled on it. the game comes out of the case and into the machine, i dont pour pepsi on it before it goes int he system.

i understand what some people are saying when, if the system is moved it could cause scratching. but the system is never moved, it stays where it was when i first bought it and it hasn't moved since, why i would need to move it when a game is in or when your are playing it is beyond me. set the system where u want it, turn it on and play, that's all there is to it. system it not moved or being moved.

Not sure why you would get frustrated with anyone here. We are not Xbox Support but we are trying to help.

You say you were thinking about returning your console. Why not do it instead of getting "frustrated" with members here? Then again you never stated why you refuse to call Xbox Support so I'm not expecting a reply.

mutha_ucka
12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
I know people here are trying to help, and I am appreciative of that, I'm just saying that people who keep making suggestions about something I might have done when i already stated i never, like spilling liquids on my 360 system or games before i put them into the 360, or like saying its a user problem why discs are scratched because i was probably moving the system while the system is on. Which I am sure some people have done.

The reason why I haven't contacted Microsoft support yet is because I read on other forums that their support were giving people who have called in before the run around or answers like what I am getting here. Like it must be the users causing these problems. That is why I am getting frustrated because i thought others out there are experiencing the same problems as me and might have some solutions.

GamerSince'76
12-29-2007, 08:25 PM
I know people here are trying to help, and I am appreciative of that, I'm just saying that people who keep making suggestions about something I might have done when i already stated i never, like spilling liquids on my 360 system or games before i put them into the 360, or like saying its a user problem why discs are scratched because i was probably moving the system while the system is on. Which I am sure some people have done.

The reason why I haven't contacted Microsoft support yet is because I read on other forums that their support were giving people who have called in before the run around or answers like what I am getting here. Like it must be the users causing these problems. That is why I am getting frustrated because i thought others out there are experiencing the same problems as me and might have some solutions.

Fair enough. That makes sense. Personally I did a Google search a few times trying to come up with something. I found nothing on this that would explain what's going on.

mutha_ucka
12-30-2007, 09:11 AM
might i mention though is that what i perceive as a scratch or smudge might be how others see it. so maybe what i am experiencing is a scratch. but to me i think its a smudge cause i can wipe it off like one. so unless it happens again, which i am trying to recreate the problem, i am going to take a picture and post it.

Variation-XBA
12-31-2007, 12:00 AM
Goodluck getting a picture of that to turn out.

Your saying its a smudge, then its not, cause it doesnt wipe off, so then its a scratch. If a disc is scratched when you get it, you go to the store and get another, if its after playing a long time, then something is either wrong with someone holding the discs, or the system being moved when playing.

mutha_ucka
12-31-2007, 09:03 AM
OH MY GOD... see what I mean.... if you read my previous posts. i said i "think" it's a smudge, doesn't mean that it "is" a smudge, that's what i perceive it as, cause it "Does" wipe off. never did i once said i couldn't wipe it off. to you or anyone else, you might think that it's a scratch.
for example: a clunking noise to you in your car might sound like a thumping noise to me.

The disc was "not" scratched when i bought NHL08 "brand new", this is also my second copy, after getting the problem with the first NHL08, i went and got it exchanged for another "brand new" one and the problem came back.
"this was the problem to begin with"

I always take care of "holding" my discs. when they're not being played it's in their respective cases, and i always handle them at their edges and almost always i always take a quick glance at the discs for dust and dirt, smudges, and scratches before putting it into a system.

How many times do i have to say the system has practically not been moved since we got it. why would i have the need to move the system if the system is running or when playing a game. "The system is not moved while a disc is in there and turned on!"

Let me ask you a question, do you move your system around while playing a game? Or how about when playing a movie in your dvd player and all of a sudden feel a need to get up and feel a need to move the dvd player from one place to another while the movie is playing?

And for those who want to know, i am trying to fix my brother's system, whose warranty has already run out and whose system is worse than mine cause this problem happens on more games than mine. My system, only NHL08 is affected and mine still has warranty so i am exchanging it when i get home from my vacation.

Variation-XBA
12-31-2007, 10:57 AM
I read your post clearly, Im just trying to tell you, but you wanna get all snippy so, I dunno what else to offer for you for advice. If you can manage to get a pic, then maybe that'll help I guess.

GamerSince'76
12-31-2007, 04:46 PM
OH MY GOD... see what I mean.... if you read my previous posts. i said i "think" it's a smudge, doesn't mean that it "is" a smudge, that's what i perceive it as, cause it "Does" wipe off. never did i once said i couldn't wipe it off. to you or anyone else, you might think that it's a scratch.
for example: a clunking noise to you in your car might sound like a thumping noise to me.

The disc was "not" scratched when i bought NHL08 "brand new", this is also my second copy, after getting the problem with the first NHL08, i went and got it exchanged for another "brand new" one and the problem came back.
"this was the problem to begin with"

I always take care of "holding" my discs. when they're not being played it's in their respective cases, and i always handle them at their edges and almost always i always take a quick glance at the discs for dust and dirt, smudges, and scratches before putting it into a system.

How many times do i have to say the system has practically not been moved since we got it. why would i have the need to move the system if the system is running or when playing a game. "The system is not moved while a disc is in there and turned on!"

Let me ask you a question, do you move your system around while playing a game? Or how about when playing a movie in your dvd player and all of a sudden feel a need to get up and feel a need to move the dvd player from one place to another while the movie is playing?

And for those who want to know, i am trying to fix my brother's system, whose warranty has already run out and whose system is worse than mine cause this problem happens on more games than mine. My system, only NHL08 is affected and mine still has warranty so i am exchanging it when i get home from my vacation.

If it wipes off = smudge.

If it does not = scratch.

From what you describe. It is a smudge.

Just to clarify the 360 can scratch discs when the console is not being moved. The Dutch TV show Kassa proved that.

Link:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Microsoft-admits-scratch-problem-with-Xbox-360.html

If you brother lives in the same house is you and has the same problem as you (and worse), I would say it is something environmental. Maybe excessive humidity. Is your 360 near a heat register or cold air vent?

Like I said from the beginning. If you can exchange your console, IMHO do it. If not call Xbox Support. I understand your rationale for not doing so but we all seem to be stumped here. I did several internet searches and found nothing on this issue. It is obscure to say the least.

If you call and MS tries to blame you then ask for a Tier 2 Supervisor. This thread has devolved into a debate. If it were me I would be spending my time talking to MS and politely demanding they do something about it rather than posting here about it. Obviously you are more than welcome to do so but that won't get you a replacement console. If my car is broken I may discuss it on auto forums but ultimately I would need a mechanic.

Since I came back (to XBA), I have seen members go out of their way to help others. It's not that people aren't trying to help, we are powerless to do so. The only people that can resolve this is is Xbox Support. Call them. I would be interested in hearing what is causing this.

mutha_ucka
12-31-2007, 05:36 PM
thanks for the suggestions, i think that's what my brother will have to do is to call in and see if they'll do anything about it. the problem with his is the initial 1yr warranty just ran out this month. mine on the other hand is still valid.

no heater or air vents in the house that are near my brother's console. and air isn't humid at all.

hmmm... i just read the article from the link you provided me, very helpful, that basically describes what we're experiencing and about the petition for a recall on systems made during certain times. any idea if the recall is in effect?

also a friend told me about microsoft now providing a 3 yr warranty for the consoles because of all the problems people are experiencing. any truth in this? if yes, then do you know if it's for people who already purchased the systems like my brother and myself or for recent newly purchased systems only?

GamerSince'76
12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
thanks for the suggestions, i think that's what my brother will have to do is to call in and see if they'll do anything about it. the problem with his is the initial 1yr warranty just ran out this month. mine on the other hand is still valid.

no heater or air vents in the house that are near my brother's console. and air isn't humid at all.

hmmm... i just read the article from the link you provided me, very helpful, that basically describes what we're experiencing and about the petition for a recall on systems made during certain times. any idea if the recall is in effect?

also a friend told me about microsoft now providing a 3 yr warranty for the consoles because of all the problems people are experiencing. any truth in this? if yes, then do you know if it's for people who already purchased the systems like my brother and myself or for recent newly purchased systems only?

Here is the official warranty:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/resources/warrantyupdate.htm

Unfortunately it just covers the RRoD for 3 years and everything else for one year but if your warranty just expired maybe they will still help you. Worth a try.

Variation-XBA
01-02-2008, 12:16 AM
There never was or is a "recall"

The 3 RROD is preotected for 3 years from purchase, regardless when you got it, even if launch day.