PDA

View Full Version : 360 Red Lights of Death

CallOf2
12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Woo!!! Hooo!!! Bet you haven't seen a post on these in a while. I bought a console at launch been through 3 already since then this is going to be my 4th. I don't need any help with anything I just want to vent on what a POS product microsoft has released. This console I have now has been working like a champ for over a year and a half then all in one day the games started to freeze, did every thing Xbox support said to do for that then immediatly after that my system got into the holiday spirit and decided to show its three pretty red lights. But thats not what I am extremly POed about and I am supprised I haven't found more posts on this. When I bought a console at lauch with out HDMI out put I didn't really care because it wasn't available so not big deal. Even when they released the Elite after I bought my console offering the HDMI output I still didn't really care because I wasn't going to pay that much for a console. But now they release all consoles with an HDMI output I start to get POed. So what everyone that bought a POS system at lauch that most likely broke in a week gets punished for being loyal to Xbox and buying one at launch now gets crapped on and doesn't get an HDMI output. Which even that doesn't really piss me off that much its the fact that now this console takes a dump and I specifically asked the Xbox support person that helped me if I can get a console with HDMI output and they said NO. I am going to be with out my console now for over a Month (Thanks Holidays) and for the 4th time mind you and they can't give me my HDMI. Now before you say ohh get VGA you can get 1080 with that my TV doesn't have VGA it has composite and HDMI. So yeah sorry I just needed to vent a little and just wondering if anyone else out there is upset about this and if so we all need to start contacting MS directly asking were our HDMI is especially if you have a console that shows up with the ring of death now that HDMI consoles are readily available.

mattgame
12-31-2007, 10:30 PM
I had one just crap out on me too. I now have an elite. I am happy. I don't really mind that they breakdown as long as I don't have to pay for it.

CrazyCougar
12-31-2007, 11:08 PM
I believe I have had 6 consoles go bad in my household since my first one in January of 06. (3 are currently working in my house right now. 2 premiums and 1 elite.) And I was quite frustrated at the fact that MS wouldnt cover them at first, but glad to see they reworked their warranty. So I know your frustration.

Yes, it does kinda suck for the early adopters of the 360. BUT that goes for any piece of hardware. When you buy something electronic and take it out of the store, there is always something newer and better coming along. Just the nature of the business. So I would have to disagree with the HDMI arguments many seem to want to try and raise. It has no validity.

l Maximus l
01-01-2008, 03:19 AM
I've never shared this in all my time of owning an XBox 360....so, here goes:

I bought a launch 360, and while it doesn't have HDMI inputs, it has been running strong...never have seen the red lights of death......it's an animal!

Ainokeatoo
01-01-2008, 03:58 AM

I bought a launch 360, and while it doesn't have HDMI inputs, it has been running strong...never have seen the red lights of death......it's an animal!

XD sadly Maxipads, you and I are the small minority of launch consoles that still work. xD.

GamerSince'76
01-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Just wondering if I'm seeing this right. The topic title is "360 Red Lights of Death" and the poll is about HDMI?

I think I'm sober now.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
01-01-2008, 08:13 PM
mine crapped out on me last holiday, the **** that pissed me off... was that everyone decided to get me nothing but games for xmas... but yeah i been there... i dont mind that it brakes down its a meachine .., as long as i dont have to pay... and last year when mine broke down they where trying to get me to pay... and then microsoft passed that rule of just allowing all repairs to be free even after the waranty.. so yeah i know how u feel dude i went without gears last year from nov 29th to jan-3rd/07 almost didnt make it. and since we are all venting wats up with the retards at microsoft 1800 4my xbox
seriously nothing against hiring people from over seas but it really annoys me when they cant even understand what im trying to say and they just repeat some crap from a manual and u can tell there reading it... if you dont believe me call without having a problem and youll see wat i mean when they try to help you out .. the freaking electronic command voice thing they got helps more than the actual employees...

CrazyCougar
01-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Outsourced call centers will never know a thing about the product you are calling for. Unless you get a person that owns the product you are calling about and has a little knowledge of it. They do not work for the company that outsourced the work, nor do they ever really have any first hand knowledge. Hell, half of the people in Xbox support probably couldnt even point out a 360 or original Xbox if they saw one in a store.

Xbox support is a huge example of this. I remember calling in once and describing a problem I was having with my gamertag on my original Xbox. I couldnt get it to work on the original, but it worked fine on the 360. Well the support guy told me that I should try putting my gamertag profile on a memory card and transferring it over to my original from my 360. When I questioned him on how I would do this, he then went on to tell me to save the file on the memory card on the 360, then plug the memory card into the Xbox. When I told him the memory cards were completely different between systems, he argued for a bit...then finally said "Really??? I didnt realize they were different.". Oh dear lord help us!!!!

Variation-XBA
01-02-2008, 12:21 AM
It sounds like a blog imo....

Anyways, yes, the early ones had some issues, though if you compare to other sytems within their first year, it was better than they were by more than double (launch ps2's anyone?)

MY launch one was fine all teh way until I got my Elite, and I know Max has his launch one as well, so it's not like its everyone, its just that you only hear negatives

CrazyCougar
01-02-2008, 12:26 AM
It WILL be ALL launch consoles in time.

The negatives??? When you pretty much have more than a 50% failure rate, you are definitely going to hear negatives. Lets face it..MS put out a piece of JUNK!!!! At least they had the balls to SORTA admit it and change up the warranty. It still doesnt change the fact that the 360's over the first year to year and a half of launch were/are complete and utter garbage machines.

Kudos to those machines that still run from launch day, but their time will come soon enough. Its a guarantee and its inevitable.

Variation-XBA
01-02-2008, 12:32 AM
Awesome attitude~ <3

CrazyCougar
01-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Why should I candy coat Microsofts disaster??? Isnt it better to tell the truth than to lie? I love the 360 and its library of games, but to sit here and say there wasn't/isn't a problem is insane. Its either denial or major fanboyism. I dont know which, so pick one. Models before the new chipset are junk. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Why try to hide that fact by boasting a launch system that still works? Thats great, and glad to hear it but it doesnt change the fact that MOST old chip set systems will experience the red lights of death at some point.

I am satisfied that MS finally decided to take a little responsiblilty and change the warranty up which pretty much admitted the problem. But I am disatisfied with what I and over half of the 360 owner population had to go through before they were man enough to admit the problem.

Ainokeatoo
01-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Kudos to those machines that still run from launch day, but their time will come soon enough. Its a guarantee and its inevitable.

Well it's like I said many times over, for my console to have lasted two years without a single problem that wasn't my fault, I think that's pretty damn good. It's running as strong as it did the day I got it and when the day it fails does come I won't be extremely pissed because I got what I payed for. A good system that lasted me quite a while. Maybe it's my luck with consoles seeing as i've yet to see my newest one give me any problems.

Ry
01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I've never had the RRoD and hope I never get it, It must suck. I feel for you all.

CrazyCougar
01-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Well it's like I said many times over, for my console to have lasted two years without a single problem that wasn't my fault, I think that's pretty damn good. It's running as strong as it did the day I got it and when the day it fails does come I won't be extremely pissed because I got what I payed for. A good system that lasted me quite a while. Maybe it's my luck with consoles seeing as i've yet to see my newest one give me any problems.

2 years without a problem is excellent. But people have to realize that this is a small minority, not the norm. Folks try to make the red light problem a small issue, when in fact its a major issue affecting MOST of the early adopters of the 360. I hope those launch consoles continue running for folks that havent had an issue, but chances are that those consoles will die at some point. Hopefully before the 3 year warranty is up.

cin84_12
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
My 360 died in early November. MS sent me a brand new one manufactured on Nov 22nd, but it doesn't have HDMI.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
01-02-2008, 12:07 PM
It WILL be ALL launch consoles in time.

The negatives??? When you pretty much have more than a 50% failure rate, you are definitely going to hear negatives. Lets face it..MS put out a piece of JUNK!!!! At least they had the balls to SORTA admit it and change up the warranty. It still doesnt change the fact that the 360's over the first year to year and a half of launch were/are complete and utter garbage machines.

I agree somewhat.., but u know what if they wouldnt of met demands for the 360 this topic would be how hard was it for you to get a 360 at launch... so i mean we all gotta understand they were trying to reach demands in a lil ammount of time, i rather that my 360 crapped out in 1 year and a few months then waiting for stores to get more in... so .. even though the red lights pissed me off and 50% of consules failed..i still had a long time with my xbox that i enjoyed and memories of playing it and if i didnt get it when it launched i would of gone a long time without playing it becuase 4 months after the launch i was sent to Iraq.so i still commend them on being able to keep reshipping and reshipping xbox after xbox's ..

Shawn-XBA
01-02-2008, 03:49 PM
I've had two of them die on me, now I have two 360's so if one goes I still have another one that I can play while the other one is getting fixed.

MXracer721
01-02-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm ready for mine to take a dump because my dvd drive is screwing up, and i think it's out of warranty by now.....bought it Dec. of '06. RRoD is 3 years, but I don't know what something like the dvd drive is?

CallOf2
01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I guess I will repost to this topic because I think my real point got lost in my venting. I know machines break, I know tech. is outdated by the time the thing hits the shelf, but to do a complete design change within a year after launch across all consoles and include HDMI when the Tech. was available before the console was originally launched. And now to still have consoles coming back for being defective and flat out refusing to give people replacements with the new Tech. is (in my opinion) absurd. Maybe I'm wrong, but I gotta think that people can atleast see my point and why I"m pissed. Like I said I'm not even mad that I don't have it now. If I wasn't sending my console in for them to have it for 3 weeks and just send me a different one anyway I wouldn't be mad about it, but I am mad about the fact that they flat out told me they wouldn't send me one. Thats my two cents. :whistle: not trying to start an :argue1: ment

Variation-XBA
01-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I know tech. is outdated by the time the thing hits the shelf, but to do a complete design change within a year after launch across all consoles and include HDMI when the Tech. was available before the console was originally launched.

The HDMI hardware 'tech' wasn't available at launch, It wasn't even available until the Elite launched much later, so that argument is null.

CallOf2
01-03-2008, 02:26 PM
The HDMI hardware 'tech' wasn't available at launch, It wasn't even available until the Elite launched much later, so that argument is null.

Sorry sir you are mistaken. If that tech. was not available then why did the HDTV I purchased 8 months before launch have HDMI inputs??? Hmmm... Curious. Not trying to be a smart A$$

CrazyCougar
01-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah HDMI input has been readily available for a few years now. Its more a fact of the matter MS wanted to beat Sony to the punch and put out the console before it was ready to be launched. Hence the major problems as well. Thats the one and only reason HDMI was not included in early models of the 360. Thats a guarantee.

MXracer721
01-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah HDMI input has been readily available for a few years now. Its more a fact of the matter MS wanted to beat Sony to the punch and put out the console before it was ready to be launched. Hence the major problems as well. Thats the one and only reason HDMI was not included in early models of the 360. Thats a guarantee.

And since MS beat Sony to the punch, developers are for the most part developing games on 360 then porting.......so I say w/e, at least we get the games that use our system to it's full potential.

moltenluv
01-03-2008, 05:57 PM
MY launch one was fine all teh way until I got my Elite, and I know Max has his launch one as well, so it's not like its everyone, its just that you only hear negatives

Same goes for me. My launch system was problem free but I have since upgraded to an Elite. My ex and I got our launch systems at the same time from the same store. His lasted about a few months maybe less but mine just kept on chugging along. I think he is on his 3rd or 4th 360 now. I would like to believe that my launch system is still alive somewhere but who knows :confused:

SamSmith
01-03-2008, 07:29 PM

Same here :D My launch baby has been kicking strong since... whatever the launch date was.

mattgame
01-03-2008, 08:41 PM
I still haven't gotten the box to send mines in for repair. They suck right now.