PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Under Fire on Dr. Phil

Dr_J
01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
http://drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/4201/?id=4201&null=null

“I love playing video games as much as I like eating food. I’ve been a loyal customer to Xbox Live and Xbox 360. Now it’s gotten worse with the racial slurs, the name-calling and the bullying online,” Terry complains.

Terry shares some taunts he receives from other gamers. “I’ve been called ‘monkey,’ or ‘Are your hands greasy from eating all that chicken?’ ‘I’m going to put a lynch on your door,’” he says.

The father of three fears that the virtual threats will become reality. “I’ve had to stop my children from playing online, my 10-year-old daughter, my 13-year-old son, and even my 5-year-old son. He asks me, ‘Daddy, why can’t I play online with you? I want to play that,’ and I say, ‘No.’ He goes, ‘Why? Are they going to call me names?’" Terry reveals. "I think that’s sad for a 5-year-old to know that.

“I called Xbox Live. I gave them all the information they needed to know, and they told me before they can do anything, take any kind of action, there has to be 10 complaints filed against [the other player],” he continues, incensed. “That’s like you coming to my house, robbing me, and I call the police. Are they going to tell me, ‘Well, if that guy comes back to your house 10 times, we’ll come out and do something about it’? I think that’s disgusting. I think Mr. [Bill] Gates needs to change that rule, and I think it needs to be changed immediately.”

ll Mista GT ll
01-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Big deal. You don't like it, don't play online. People are really dumb. You'll never stop people from being stupid on Live.

SGT TrunkMonkey
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
exactly, people like that are stupid, i mean you cant shelter your kids from everything and if you try you will seriously screw them up. Dont like it, Dont play
:bang::bang::bang::bang:

CrazyCougar
01-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Thats what the feedback system is for as well as the mute button. Yes, there are plenty of idiots who like to speak tough and throw racial comments around. I report everyone one of them when I run across them. Will it make a difference? Well, if enough people complain about a person pertaining to comments they make, it will decrease the idiots by one. Yes, you'll have another new idiot come along and make the same comments. Repeat cycle and rinse.

I cant stand folks that feel degrading another online due to the way they talk, sound, or play a game. I have even heard friends on my own list do it, and I usually leave the room without saying a word. So word to the wise XBA members....say something out of line and you see me leave, expect to be reported. No place for out of line comments racial or not racial.

I have taken my sons mic away and muted the voice on Live for his 360 until I feel he is old enough to handle it. He is 10, and I can see him being influenced by immature teenagers and immature adults. Some may call it trashtalking, but in all honesty, there is no place for it period. If you dont have something nice to say, then dont say it at all is how I feel.

GamerSince'76
01-08-2008, 11:24 PM
MS should be more proactive against racial slurs. I once reported a guy that bragged about his racist gamertag. It was spelled backwards. They did ban him but the rep chuckled when he realized what the name was. Very unprofessional.

Variation-XBA
01-08-2008, 11:42 PM
All this is is a directed attack, that's all. You could take out "Xbox LIVE" and throw in "internet", "chat room" or any other online service and it would be the same argument. The only thing about this is that in general, many more younger people are exposed to it thus hear it. But like Cougar said, don't like it, then mute your mic and give bad feedback.

CrazyCougar
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Yup, its the way of the online world. Its been that way for years, since the days of early IRC chatrooms on Pirch32 or mIRC. Its not going to go away anytime soon either. Unfortunately.

Xbox Live Man
01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
& the strange thing is, a majority of all this comes from squeally 12 year olds on games they shouldn't be on.

Ainokeatoo
01-09-2008, 03:16 AM
I honestly guess terry never heard of something called chatrooms or the internet, I agree with crazy up until the trash talk, I mean, that will never stop, the racial slurs are not needed but it won't ever stop. I myself don't necessarily talk unless i'm talked to or some guy on the other team talks **** before the start of the game and I kick their ass, then I talk ****. And those who've played with me can attest for that, I hardly even talk at all.

It's the immature *******s, but really, insults over LIVE really should be overlooked or ignored because it has no meaning. People say that to piss other people off, I really don't think this should have been taken to the television and just talk about Xbox live because in reality there are immature *******s on anything that can connect to the internet.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah,,,.. how about just go with it and make fun of the other player i get a lot of heat for my name being Hoodraised- people love to pick at it im not a part of the solution im a part of the problem at that point i just go right back.. i've always grown up in a enviroment that if you dont defend yourself then your the target.. so man up son!! lol and go back at them... they call you that you call them this most of the time the people saying anything like that are immature turds who's nutsack havent even dropped...
however.......
your alternative solution to xbox live is this turn off the sound on the headset.. it will dilute the gaming expirience but atleast youll be playing instead of canceling.. someone robs your house by the way is a physical act of violence someone saying something you dont like is the price you and i and everyone pays for freedom... of speach.. and im not against you i wish racism wasnt around ... but it is sooo... adapt..

HaZarD SFD
01-09-2008, 02:13 PM
I was in a room once and it was probably some southerners as it was a south accent.. but wow they were the most racist bunch on XboX Live I have ever heard. I am jewish and make jewish jokes i.e "Why did the concentration gas chambers have 11 holes in each vent? jews had 10 fingers" Yeah its racist but its kind of funny..

But yes if you dont like hearing what people are saying then turn off the headset and speakers for the voices or mute the person.. its easy.. they also stay muted if you meet up with them again.. great feature.

SamSmith
01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
It's the internet as a whole not just xbox live, but since it is a paid-service, and controlled... there should be something done about it. Racial slurrs used against others, attemtping to belittle and insult + anything else should result in an automatic ban from the service... at the very least, as suspension.

People should be afraid to act like idiots. That's the one thing I hate about the internet, losers lapping up the anonymity. These people are sad ****s, as consumers we shouldn't have to deal with them.

Whisper
01-09-2008, 08:10 PM
I still want my right to be an *******. I agree, suspend and ban people that curse and insult.. in E - T games.

As for M and AO games, anything goes, and it should stay that way. We should also be banning accounts that do not adhere to the ratings on the games. A 10 year olds family shouldn't have the right to whine about their kid being called a ***got mother ****er if they are playing Halo or Call of Duty. I believe you will hear that language in war, just check out the videos from Iraq/Afghanistan on the internet.. very clean language there eh? So you're training your child to shoot and kill hundreds of people.. but you don't want him to curse while doing it?

A legit M or AO gamer knows how to use the mute button, and knows how to defend themself against an idiot.

CrazyCougar
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
There is no place for degrading another through the use of vulgarity in words. Someone wants to drop the F-Bomb on me and call me things that cant be said in public without a cringe WILL get reported.

There is no place for that crap online, period. As I said before, if you dont have something nice to say to someone than dont say it at all. Unfortunately there are too many people online without any kind of morals or manners whatsoever. I dont go online and say that crap, and I certainly dont want to listen to it either.

l Maximus l
01-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I never even use my mic unless I know people I'm playing with.

Soda Jones
01-10-2008, 01:20 AM
If you're in an M or above game, expect M or above language. No matter the content, it's free speech, grow some thicker skin.

CrazyCougar
01-10-2008, 06:39 AM
I still cant agree, whether the game is M or not. There is no place for that language while playing a game, or anywhere in this world for that matter. I think its utterly ridiculous that games now contain that very language as well that was once frowned upon by all to be said in public. Pretty bad when the whole world's morals are going to hell, literally.

Will it ever go away? No. If I could go into a game without hearing the F-Bomb dropped one time I would be shocked. Anymore, it seems like its a common word used. But this discussion isnt so much about the swearing. Its more about the racial and derogatory comments that are made. If you want to insult people, then you should find another medium to display your immaturity.

HaZarD SFD
01-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Happend again last night in COD4... This was quite the racist room again.. I
do notice it alot more lately then before.. Mostly its the little teeny bopper kids that have no one around.

Whisper
01-10-2008, 10:59 AM
I still cant agree, whether the game is M or not. There is no place for that language while playing a game, or anywhere in this world for that matter.

Now you just sound like a church-going evangelicist that successfully creates diamonds in their rectum.

Kasumi'sHairbow
01-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I barely use my mic.As for the raciel slurs and the other things that's just a little man/woman trying to feel better after they get sent flying across the arena.

FatBox
01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I never even use my mic unless I know people I'm playing with.

Same here, what's the point? All people ever do is talk **** and yell on Xbox Live, whenever I go into Social games on H3 I just turn off voice so I can't hear anybody. Same with COD4, if I'm not playing with friends I don't wear a mic, simple as that.

CrazyCougar
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Now you just sound like a church-going evangelicist that successfully creates diamonds in their rectum.

So vulgarity and cursing should be the norm and acceptable? It is not acceptable when it makes other uncomfortable or degrades them. Its immature, period. I'm not talking about small word swearing, but more so the F-Bomb, and racial slurs as being totally unacceptable.

I do have faith in the Lord. Thanks for noticing. Unfortunately this society has gotten away from morals that were always the norm for a society many moons ago. Let alone do people even care about the ten commandments or the Bible for that matter. Just sad. I am not perfect, but I do know whats right and wrong, and this crap you hear online is just wrong.

Video games such as Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto throw all morals out the door and I think its just pathetic. Yet so many video gamers accept it and put the behavior of the game on a pedestal. Too bad for those that put on blinders when it comes to this material. Just too bad for them.

Whisper
01-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Re-write the constitution and then you can have vulgarity and cursing banned for good.

Microsoft and game companies have done all they should have to do. They have a ratings system that should keep the children away from games that would draw the 'vulgar' crowds. They also have a mute, block/ignore, player review system, complaint system, and the best part of all, the microphone is not mandatory to sign up.

If you want games like Saints Row and GTA to be gone, again, re-write history. We are allowed to say and do things on this side of the world, and we don't blow eachother up over here.. I think this freedom of speech and expression thing has worked out great. As for the disappearing morals.. well people were getting stoned, insulting & killing eachother long before video games were even on the radar. Nothing has changed, people just have more exposure to it thanks to the internet.

SamSmith
01-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Just wait until GTA online comes out of the bag if you think this **** is bad =/

mattgame
01-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Big deal. You don't like it, don't play online. People are really dumb. You'll never stop people from being stupid on Live.

If you don't like it don't play online. That's how you see it hunh? So my children who are black, who run the risk of being called all types of ******s, shouldn't play because they don't like being called ******s? **** you and I mean it. I take serious offense to your statement and anybody elses statement who takes that attitude towards this situation. I tell ya I don't mind. I'm bigger than that and I know for a fact that none of those pussies who says that online would say it in my face. Just like I know nobody here would talk that tough shat to my face or call me a ******. But my children shouldn't have to go through that. I shouldn't have to explain to my 6 year old or my 12 year old, or my 14 year old why these people call them ******. I wish one time I could get to the one that called my son a ****** so much and clowned him so much that he refused to play anymore until I talked to him. I would beat his punk ass to death!

CrazyCougar
01-11-2008, 03:01 PM
No one should have to listen to this stuff regardless of age, gender, orientation, etc.... Its utter immaturity on the parts of those partaking in the comments and excessive language. I am still trying to figure out when it became kewl to use the F-Bomb every other word. Or to degrade someone intentionally. As far as I can remember, that was always considered bullying.

Matt, I agree with you 100%. If I could have a 10 seconds with one of these punks online, young or old, who think its kewl to throw racial slurs and swear every other word to a kid in the room, they probably wouldnt be able to use their jaw anymore. And for the kids using the language, they only get it from all the older idiots on Live saying it first. And they should all be taken to the woodshed! We know what thats about Matt.

Just wait until GTA online comes out of the bag if you think this **** is bad =/
My point exactly. A game like this shouldnt even have a chance in hell in this society, yet people will covet the game with open arms. What morals?

laughs
01-11-2008, 03:45 PM
I think Terry needs to grow a set.

Ainokeatoo
01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
But seriously you two, I agree with both crazy and matt, but honestly, where don't you go that you don't hear a racial slur or racism in any manner? The anonymity of the internet will never stop until it will be necessary to attach your picture and IP address to everything you do. There really is no use in fighting something that is damn near impossible to win.

However much I agree with you crazy, and you matt, there's just basically no way, as of right now, that anything will be done. It's pure and utter bullcrap but, let the idiots be idiots. I mean, I went into a room, didn't turn on my mic, didn't say a single fricken word, not a single word, I didn't even touch the button to turn on my mic, and I was called nearly every name in the book. There's really nothing else to say than to grow some thick skin, some really thick skin.

GTA will be online?... The newest one? GTA4?

Foques
01-11-2008, 04:35 PM
i find it funny that when you are being called Cracker or white @$$ its not a big deal.. but a man of color to be called a Ni#@$, then its becoming a horrific tragedy. i'm sick of it.

Ainokeatoo
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
i find it funny that when you are being called Cracker or white @$$ its not a big deal.. but a man of color to be called a Ni#@$, then its becoming a horrific tragedy. i'm sick of it.

Blame your ancestors, if the white man *this being a historical reference so don't start with the hate rep* hadn't tried to bum **** basically every other race then there wouldn't be this problem. White people call themselves crackers because for some reason they think it's funny, I personally don't really give a damn. It seems people here on the mainland make more of a deal when it comes to racism than back in hawaii. I mean, you'd think that U.S. being one of the most racially diverse countries that they'd really not care about racism *to a certain point* yet it's ass monkey backwards. Deal with it foques if you're sick of it you're better off just killing yourself or stay isolated in a room full of padding, because it won't really ever stop.

mattgame
01-11-2008, 04:56 PM

**** you too! Nobody said that. So are you tellin me that you hear more cracker than ******? I have never heard it unless it was in defense of being called ******. My kids don't call nobody nothing and I don't condone it anywhere against anybody. So I'm sick of you! You would be one of the ***s who would call a six year old a racial slur. And I would be the one who bust your ass if I saw you. Oh, and I'm not just poppin **** on the internet, I can back mine up!

Ainokeatoo
01-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh god >.>;; See what you did to Matt, jesus christ, calm down peeps. Whoosa deep breaths come on, in and out... We love you matt. :) :cheers:

mattgame
01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Oh god >.>;; See what you did to Matt, jesus christ, calm down peeps. Whoosa deep breaths come on, in and out... We love you matt. :) :cheers:

It's not for me man it's for my kids. Like I said I don't care, I know how people are but I hate that my kids can't just play the game and have a good time without racism. I told a guy once that my 6 year old was playing and he did chill out. However, everybody isn't like that. And Rec, Max and Gamer can attest to this fact, we would rather you confront us, do anything to us, but DO NOT DO IT TO OUR CHILDREN!

Ainokeatoo
01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Of course, that's a maternal instinct, but what i'm saying is, you really can't turn on the television these days without hearing about it. You can't send your kid to school expecting them to not hear it or have it directed at them. You just can't, I mean, I understand your point matt, but the best thing to do is to just take the mic away, especially from your six year old. You and I both know a six year old has no real business when it comes to talking on LIVE. I mean, it's just *******s that come online and think it's funny to throw out racial slurs, i'm sure your twelve year old and fourteen year old both know how to mute. And I'm sure your fourteen year old can ignore it *hopefully*.

The internet, in this modern day and age, is used for things you normally can't do, kinda like an RPG I mean, most of the time you don't make your character look the same way you do right? Or do the same things you do. The internet is a place where most people think they can do things they normally can't, and that's true in some sense. But at the end of the day matt, you can only do so much. It will never entirely stop, which sucks but people are stupid, a person is smart, people are not.

ScorpionX
01-11-2008, 05:35 PM
So vulgarity and cursing should be the norm and acceptable? It is not acceptable when it makes other uncomfortable or degrades them. Its immature, period. I'm not talking about small word swearing, but more so the F-Bomb, and racial slurs as being totally unacceptable.

I do have faith in the Lord. Thanks for noticing. Unfortunately this society has gotten away from morals that were always the norm for a society many moons ago. Let alone do people even care about the ten commandments or the Bible for that matter. Just sad. I am not perfect, but I do know whats right and wrong, and this crap you hear online is just wrong.

Video games such as Saints Row and Grand Theft Auto throw all morals out the door and I think its just pathetic. Yet so many video gamers accept it and put the behavior of the game on a pedestal. Too bad for those that put on blinders when it comes to this material. Just too bad for them.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x291/xxchicagogirlxx/NobodyCares.jpg

mattgame
01-11-2008, 05:37 PM
I know damn well it won't stop and my 6 year old only plays with me. Halo3 and he's damn good. Yet that's just the thing, I'm not gonna not let him play because of a few idiots. I leave games when it's outrageous. My anger came from the non-chalant attitude of some of my XBA brethren.

Ainokeatoo
01-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I know damn well it won't stop and my 6 year old only plays with me. Halo3 and he's damn good. Yet that's just the thing, I'm not gonna not let him play because of a few idiots. I leave games when it's outrageous. My anger came from the non-chalant attitude of some of my XBA brethren.

Don't, not, let him play, just don't let him play with the mic, I mean, him being as young as he is and trying to talk on LIVE is only going to make it worse. We're very different I suppose, I've been on LIVE since I was fourteen and even back then there were *******s. I guess racial slurs don't affect me as much, seeing as, not only do I come from a racially relaxed area, but it cracks me up when they confuse me for something i'm not. Most of the time really though, it's normally because i'm winning that they start *****ing.

My non-chalant attitude comes from how I was raised and where I was raised, I mean i'm not going to go off the handle with racial slurs or what not. I was just raised where the color of your skin didn't matter *although it did play a part when your attitude came up*. I had a lot of black friends, and I called them what they called each other no harm done. I had a lot of white friends, I had a lot of asian friends. So really I'm socially racially mixed is the best way to put it. Basically, it just doesn't affect me, yes it's a problem and it sucks ass that there is this problem, but what can you do other than whine and moan about it, and that accomplishes nothing.

ALSO I wasn't trying to disrespect ya or anything matt or crazy, I love you both, just saying what I thought.

mattgame
01-11-2008, 06:15 PM
I wasn't upset with you at all. I applaud you brother. I was upset at the response if you don't like it don't play. My kid is fascinated by the fact that you can talk on the mic. I'm not gonna take that from him. I usually just LAN in my house but when he sees me online he asks to play. Honestly, it doesn't happen much, the n bomb, but when it does it is annoying. You are the truth man and thanks for your support.

Ainokeatoo
01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
I wasn't upset with you at all. I applaud you brother. I was upset at the response if you don't like it don't play. My kid is fascinated by the fact that you can talk on the mic. I'm not gonna take that from him. I usually just LAN in my house but when he sees me online he asks to play. Honestly, it doesn't happen much, the n bomb, but when it does it is annoying. You are the truth man and thanks for your support.

Oh of course matt, I mean I myself don't have kids and don't plan to for a while, but I see your point and it affects me as well, I honestly hate it as much as you do, it just doesn't affect me on the same level. Keep on keepin on matt :) :cheers:

GamerSince'76
01-11-2008, 07:26 PM
I can't help it but find myself shocked that this kind of information and posting is being not only condoned, but rewarded here..
I find myself ignoring majority of the posts made by the OP just because i am tired of being exposed to that kind of material.
:(

So a video of someone vomiting in a coffin is bad...

But calling a kid or anyone a ****** is OK? To have respect for the dead, you have to have respect for the living.

CrazyCougar
01-11-2008, 08:09 PM

We said racial slurs...That pretty much sums up any race that is being downcast in a statement.

Aino, I didnt take offense to anything you said either. I have the same feeling that Matt has at the careless, non-chalant attitude towards a problem that can be tackled by each and everyone of us. But most dont have the desire, or the care.

Do I think swearing and racial slurs can be wiped off the face of the earth? No. Its here and we'll hear it of everyday life unfortunately. But on Xbox Live something can be done about it. You hear or see something inappropriate then report that person or persons immediately. Every single person can do their part. But unfortunately more choose to just brush it off and accept it as the norm in online gaming than to take action for what is right. Its alot easier to say, oh just get thicker skin, and move on. Each and everyone of us can do something about it if we so choose to.

I think Scorpions post a few posts back pretty much sums up the attitude I just mentioned. I would have to say one word comes to mind. Gutless.

leethal_4ce
01-12-2008, 02:03 AM
There's always gonna be stupid people. The best you can do is unplug your mic when you are offended, or just mute the person. Then you don't have to listen to them.

And what DOESN'T go under fire on Dr.Phil. He's a scumbag.