PDA

View Full Version : Shields or No Shields (Halo)

J98GT
03-05-2002, 12:37 PM
Just wondering how you guys prefer it, and why . . .

I like no shileds, because 1 shot with a sniper rifle will take anyone out, and 1 head shot with a pistol. With shields you just end up running around eachother blasting away til one of you dies. Doesn't take as much skill IMO. No shields rewards good aim and strategy.

No flames, just give me good replies.

Xtopia
03-05-2002, 01:17 PM
aight...just a suggestion...not trying to a jerk! but we have a 3d shooter forum which is pretty much a halo forum...put anything this thread in there.

J98GT
03-05-2002, 01:19 PM
Oops, I thought I did. Can someone move it for me?

I'm not a newbie, I just don't post that often.

Spaztic
03-05-2002, 01:21 PM
I prefer shields

because even with shields one shot to the head w/ a sniper rifle will kill you!

JJaX
03-05-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by J98GT
Just wondering how you guys prefer it, and why . . .

I like no shileds, because 1 shot with a sniper rifle will take anyone out, and 1 head shot with a pistol. With shields you just end up running around eachother blasting away til one of you dies. Doesn't take as much skill IMO. No shields rewards good aim and strategy.

No flames, just give me good replies.

Lets not talk about lack of skill round these parts. Besides if you did have skill you would know that 1 sniper shot can kill a shielded foe.

*PoP!*

I think playing with out shields takes aways from the strategy. Its hard enough playing a DM with pistols because once your in site of a good player and he shoots first your gonna die. (i cant imagine having fun with 1 shot 1 kill with pistols)

If you play with out shields your gonna be looking at the respawn screen fot like 90% of the match. Ill pass.

Plus the halo marines arent agile enough for it to be fuhn. I can understand playing like this if the moved around like UT models. But the halo marines are slow and easy targets. Think about it, you took a bullet, You need health, Your not gonna get it because a grenade will flush you out for an easy kill.

I think playing without shields means you lack the skills to stay agressive towards your opponents so there shields cant charge.

J98GT
03-05-2002, 01:29 PM
Maybe I just prefer 1 shot kills from my old Goldeneye and Perfect Dark days (Noone in my whole apartment building could beat me at Goldeneye when I was in college) . . . I just don't like long drawn out fire fights, they aren't as much fun as sneaking up on someone and putting a bullet in their head. The other day I was playing with shields. I threw a grenade and it blew up RIGHT under my opponents warthog. He ended up staying alive and running me over. That is BS. Oh well. I figured I'd probably be outnumbered on this one.

JJaX
03-05-2002, 01:47 PM
Maybe I just prefer 1 shot kills from my old Goldeneye and Perfect Dark days (Noone in my whole apartment building could beat me at Goldeneye when I was in college) . .

I threw a grenade and it blew up RIGHT under my opponents warthog. He ended up staying alive and running me over. That is BS. Oh well. I figured I'd probably be outnumbered on this one.

Well in goldeneye and perfect darek we played like that as well. but you where able to strafe quickly around corners (while aiming, You know what i mean) So its ok. But in halo, your body is exposed so things wouldnt pan out as well.

And when your slamming warthogs with grenades, move out of the way after the grenade blows up and finish them off in the air with a pistol or shotgun.

l Maximus l
03-05-2002, 01:57 PM
I like Shields...and agree with Jjax that it is part of the over all strategy. No shields is fun to play every once in a blue moon...

And, yes, one shot in the head with the Sniper kills an opponent regardless if the shield is all the way up or gone.

Even close encounters takes skill...rarely do I lose a close encounter, especially if I have a shot gun. One shot in the head = dead. Running around in circles isn't applicable...the person is dead before they can make a half circle.

The Terminator
03-05-2002, 01:58 PM
I personally feel you move waay too slow in Halo. And there should definately be a dive button. The slow moving rate increases the ease at which you can pull off sniper headshots, which technically should be for only the elite, and not so much moderately easy for everyone. And another thing, I believe that there are some weird bounding box errors. Sometimes, I'll fire a sniper shot through someone's head, and it does nothing, other times, I'll hit the top of their chest, and it ends up killing them in one shot when they had full health and shields...

l Maximus l
03-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by The Terminator
I personally feel you move waay too slow in Halo. And there should definately be a dive button. The slow moving rate increases the ease at which you can pull off sniper headshots, which technically should be for only the elite, and not so much moderately easy for everyone. And another thing, I believe that there are some weird bounding box errors. Sometimes, I'll fire a sniper shot through someone's head, and it does nothing, other times, I'll hit the top of their chest, and it ends up killing them in one shot when they had full health and shields...

Well, did you know that you can turn up their speed in the game options menu?

Also, I find it strange how you know they had full power and you only hit them once with the Sniper rifle in the chest. I have never seen that after playing hours upon hours of Halo. So, that is kinda strange. I must say, however, yesterday, I killed two people with one shot of my Sniper rifle and it when through both of their heads! It's because the bullet continues even after it hits the person...it was my first time doing that! :D

JJaX
03-05-2002, 02:33 PM
And another thing, I believe that there are some weird bounding box errors. Sometimes, I'll fire a sniper shot through someone's head, and it does nothing, other times, I'll hit the top of their chest, and it ends up killing them in one shot when they had full health and shields...

I think:

A) You need glasses, because the hit detection is beautful in halo (polygons dont lie) A head shot, is a head shot.

B) Your friend was lying about the full health thing, He probaly had like 3 bars and took a bullet in the chest killing him.

l Maximus l
03-05-2002, 02:35 PM
I like the use of shields...but, I can't stand the use of g@ydar

J98GT
03-05-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

I must say, however, yesterday, I killed two people with one shot of my Sniper rifle and it when through both of their heads! It's because the bullet continues even after it hits the person...it was my first time doing that! :D

I did that for the first time this past weekend! one shot "doube kill" That rocks! And while I agree with alot of the points given here, but I still prefer no shields. I wish there was some way to "pop out" from a corner or dive or something. I was the master at doing that in PD.

And, yes Radar is for complete losers. There should be no debate on this one. Sometimes when I play other people's games, I don't realize its on and I can't figure out how they know where I am all the time. Then I realize they are losers and play with radar.

l Maximus l
03-05-2002, 02:57 PM

I did that for the first time this past weekend! one shot "doube kill" That rocks! And while I agree with alot of the points given here, but I still prefer no shields. I wish there was some way to "pop out" from a corner or dive or something. I was the master at doing that in PD.

And, yes Radar is for complete losers. There should be no debate on this one. Sometimes when I play other people's games, I don't realize its on and I can't figure out how they know where I am all the time. Then I realize they are losers and play with radar.

Actually, diving would be a pretty cool addition...I never really thought of that while playing Halo. Great idea! As for Radar...I think it's like training wheels for newbies...so, I can understand why they might use it...but, I like Halo soooo much better without it, of course :)

monkeyman
03-05-2002, 04:29 PM
shields because its fun if your playing without shied right when you respawn you probably would die right away

ands it harder if it was no shield it would be way to easy

The Terminator
03-05-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

I think:

A) You need glasses, because the hit detection is beautful in halo (polygons dont lie) A head shot, is a head shot.

B) Your friend was lying about the full health thing, He probaly had like 3 bars and took a bullet in the chest killing him.

Actually, this was not an online game, this was a 4 person split screen game, so I knew what his health was. And I know that it was hit, b/c

A) the sniper target went red and
B) The white bullet trail went through his head.

He was standing still also, so don't give me this "You Suck! that's why" BS.

Legolas
03-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Shields because then it's more realistic and you can you can actually use skill and let it reload etc so the true L337 players will prevail.

JJaX
03-20-2002, 12:39 PM

Actually, this was not an online game, this was a 4 person split screen game, so I knew what his health was. And I know that it was hit, b/c

A) the sniper target went red and
B) The white bullet trail went through his head.

He was standing still also, so don't give me this "You Suck! that's why" BS.

When did i mention online??? Your a fruit and you make up lies.