PDA

View Full Version : Scracth or Smudge

mutha_ucka
01-11-2008, 04:51 PM
In a previous thread I asked a about a problem that my brother and myself were facing with our Xbox 360 Premium systems and some games. We were both getting scratch or which I presume as smudges because the can be wiped off.

I finally got a picture and this is the clearest one I could come up with since trying to take a picture of a CD/DVD and getting a small detail to show up is very difficult. Anyhow here is the picture. I anyone else getting this problem.

Notice the small lines, these are sometimes an almost complete ring around the disc, but these so called rings only happened to my brothers system when he first got it around Dec 2006, he thought it was the game discs. Now they are almost always only broken up lines now like you see in the picture. But yet, they can be wiped off like a smudge.

So my question is, is it a smudge or am I incorrect and it's a scratch? If it is a scratch then why can it be wiped off?

Thanks,
Andy

MXracer721
01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
A smudge would come off, and wouldn't damage the disc. A scratch would damage the disc. Is the disc damaged? I can't really tell from the pics.......yea there is something there, but without seeing it in person I don't know whats up with it. That's odd that you keep getting these. Does it do that to dvds too?

mutha_ucka
01-11-2008, 08:35 PM
hmmm, that's a good question, i've never actually tried to play movie dvds in my 360 before.

and no it's not damaged, i can wipe it off with my shirt and then play the disc/game again.

yeah my brother and I are the only two that I know of who are getting these.

i discussed this on another thread and for some reason people seem to almost insist that i have damaged the disc myself or that i was moving the system around while the disc is in there and running. this is not the case however.

for my brother it has happened to at least 4 different games. for me it has only happened to NHL08 and it is my second copy, i have already exchanged my first copy cause i thought it was the disc.

Ainokeatoo
01-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't know about the smudges, but what I do know is that there's a big ole finger print near the center of the disk.

mutha_ucka
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
yeah thats me trying to point out the scratches/smudges while trying to take a picture, and trust me it's not there before the disc goes into the system so it has nothing to do with the scratches.

oh yeah, should've mentioned that the scratches/smudges gives my brother and i the dirty disc error

leethal_4ce
01-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Well there is that known problem of 360s scratching games in that exact format when the box is moved AT ALL when the game is running. Meaning if you ran into the room or you have really loud base it could potentially wreck the disc. Wash it off with warm water and some soap, then take better care of your discs. I move mine from case to 360 and back and my discs (ALL of them) look fresh off the press.

Variation-XBA
01-12-2008, 02:46 AM
What you've circles are scratches, which are generally from when teh system is being moved while the disc is spinning (Yes, I know you say you didnt move it, but someone could have). I also see a big nasty ass fingerprint, so....

mutha_ucka
01-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Both of our systems are not even hooked up to surround sound so no loud base while playing, no one runs in the house or even near the systems at all. And no one moves or has moved the system since we've gotten then and set them up especially when the system is turned on. And if anyone one other than us who could've moved them, my brother and I would know since no one else in the house plays the system, and they would have to walk directly in front of us to do it while we were playing.

We do take care of our games, especially me, I do exactly as leethal says. the games come out of the case and directly into the system, if they're not being played they go right back into their original case. i always handle at the edges. My system also does this only to nhl08 and it has already been my second copy.

that finger print like i said earlier was from me trying to take a picture of the scratch/smudge. sooo....what you're saying Variation is that my finger print, (which are never on my discs when it goes into the system cause i always check first) are causing these scratches/smudges? you said they are scratches, but what i am trying to say is that if these are scratches like you said then how is it that i can wipe them off?

Ainokeatoo
01-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Sometimes they look like they're wiped off but they're still there and you really can't see it, get yourself a disc cleaning thing it's only a couple bucks and should fix any scratches. Now, onto moving the system, the disc can be scratched when you move it even if it's turned off *I know this to be true because I scratched my beloved oblivion that way T-T* so if the disc is in there take it out before moving it, other than that I don't know your problem.

mutha_ucka
01-13-2008, 03:08 PM
yeah i see what ur saying about moving it with the disc inside even though the system is turned off. but i don't move it at all, even when the system is turned off, my brother and my systems are hooked up in way where we want it and we have no reason to move it at all. the only times is is touched at all is when we change discs/games.

i think i will invest in disc cleaning kit.

i've also read last night on llamaa.com i believe that they came out with a fix for the scratching disc problem. supposedly the discs are scratched when the discs are spinning and for whatever reason the discs will sometime be tilted or spin on an angle within the disc tray and thus will touch the dvd lens.

anyhow the fix is supposed to be some sort of pads (foam i think) where you will attach to the upper dvd player housing in a way to minimize the tilting. also if the tilting thing happens again, instead of the disc possibly touching the lens the edges of the discs will only touch the pads.

this seems like the only fix for my brothers system for his warranty just ran out.