PDA

View Full Version : Halo is over rated! :P

zeek39
03-05-2002, 05:35 PM
Ok it's an awsome game but it is not better then lets say no one lives forever. No One Lives Forever is also a first point shooter but with much more thought and enivronments put in it. Halo is extrememly repetative both in textures and environments. I mean come on the only cool and different environment in Halo was the rainforest level. Putting snow in a map and ice is really not that much of a change. And how origional was that library level where you go up 100 floors and everything is always the same! Don't get me wrong I love halo but it's single player replay value is 0, that's why luckily you can play it online or split screen w/ friends. No One Lives Forever on the other hand always has funny and creative things put into it, and in it you travel everywhere and you see sooo many different environments.

Perhaps Halo 2 will be a bit more creative, and then again No One Lives Forever is coming out with a sequal as well pretty soon.

xfan2k2
03-05-2002, 05:41 PM
I can see what you mean, but you have to look deaper into halo. Play "Assult on the control room". You can see all the way out into the water, listen to everything in dd5.1, hop in a worthog with a buddy, and I think the graphics are amaizing. So I guess I disagree with you, but your points are reasonable.

GokuX
03-05-2002, 05:43 PM
No One Lives Forever better? Hmmm.....I think that's a matter of opinion. I thought the game stunk.

E-Xbox
03-05-2002, 05:43 PM
i totally disagree...
the game is so far above NOLF....its like
a no contest...

yall
03-05-2002, 05:47 PM
Halo is much better than NOLF. I'll admit, that some of the areas in Halo are a bit repetitive, thats the only down side. Halo has better graphics, cooler weapons, smarter enemies, the best implementation of vehicles in an FPS ever, easily set-up and modifiable multiplayer, great sound, and some humor as well. I've played nearly every FPS on the market from the Quake and Unreal pure action types, to the Deus Ex rpg oriented FPS's, and nearly every Half-Life mod too. One of the reasons that Halo is getting such accolades is the fact that a shooter has never been done so well on a non-pc platform. But it is also recieving such wonderous praise because it is a fantastic game. NOLF vs. Halo? There is no contest. (And yes I've played NOLF too).

Spaztic
03-05-2002, 05:53 PM
halo rules....we really don't need to discuss this because everyone here but you know this!

Batman2372
03-05-2002, 05:53 PM
I don't see how you can compare the two...

Okay, I love my Xbox.... love it. But there's just so much more that can be done with a PC game. The limits just aren't there for a PC that there are on the Xbox.

That being said... I still think that Halo outdoes NOLF. Multiplayer. Enough said.

SIVEL
03-05-2002, 06:05 PM
Trying to compare it to HALO is like saying EHH you know. NOLF is good but not as great as HALO. You did make a good poinjt about that silly blue light bulb though. I hated the level and it was upsetting that every floor seemed to be the same. Maybe they should have created different surroundings on other floors, but HALO is the GOD of all games so far.. Halo 2 will be the next.

NOLF.. EHH
HALO.. ****ING AWSOME

The Terminator
03-05-2002, 06:08 PM
I actually agree w/ the guy who started the thread. The 2 player co-op mode kicked serious ass. But the 4 player mp mode... it just did not cut it IMO. You move too **** slow, and they decided to include headshots, so you have slow moving ppl w/ headshots enabled, and that just equates into pistol or sniper battles. Anyone who decides to use something else just ends up dead against anyone who is any good. The weapon selection is also way too small. The character models are just too big and easy to hit. The jump is also like a slow hover. There is no way to really dodge anything, and so the good players always totally decimate everyone else, and good campers are just a pain in the ass. I'm very used to games like RTCW and Q3A, so the MP game is just too slow paced for me. Most of the time, I end up shelving the game during parties, b/c everyone gets tired of it. DOA3 is my party favorite game right now.

I am looking forward to Agent Under Fire, and Battlefield: 1942. Hopefully those games will provide some FPS multiplayer that my friends and I will really like. Halo just didn't do it in the MP department.

zeek39
03-05-2002, 06:12 PM
I'm not saying NOLF is better then Halo... it's just more creative... and Halo is over rated! :p Good game but it is not much if at all better then some of the other first person shooters

SIVEL
03-05-2002, 06:16 PM
That just blows im sorry your right. Way too slow! They have to fix that! NOW ****IT

The Terminator
03-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by SIVEL
That just blows im sorry your right. Way too slow! They have to fix that! NOW ****IT

Wtf are you trying to say?

monkeyman
03-05-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by SIVEL

what???:confused:

no way i think halo is the best game out there i love it i think it is the best fps ever

xtr0n187
03-06-2002, 05:43 AM
I think 1997's Goldeneye is possibly the best FPS on a home console. Im mean you could carry more than one gun and fire 2 simultaneously. And it had cool levels. Halo is very cool game in its own right. The vehicles are a new and refreshing idea specially how 2 players both co-operate them like a warthog. Halo as far as being the best? They could have done more with it. However i beleive this game is the flagship title for the xbox and in reaching such a accolade it is worthy of one of the better titles ever in the FPS genre.

Batman2372
03-06-2002, 08:31 AM
I like the fact that you can only carry two guns. It adds a bit of realism to the game (okay, okay.... you can't really have REALISM in this game, but you get what I mean). It's not like you could REALLY carry a rocket launcher, shotgun, lazer gun, etc and still run.

I won't say that HALO is the best FPS ever, but it definitely is one of the most fun games out right now.

The Terminator
03-06-2002, 12:02 PM
First off, lemme just say that Halo is one of the greatest console FPS games of all time, so it doesn't seem like I'm bashing the game.

The problem with Halo is its generic weapons. Name one weapon that made you think "Wow! This is cool as shiznit!" In NOLF, that laser guided rocketlauncher thingy made me think that way. The sticky bombs which would take out half the level were also really cool, b/c whenever someone threw one, everyone would run like hell, and then we'd all start laughing at whoever died. The vehicles are really cool at first, but too many times some of my friends would just put the control down and ask to play DOA3 b/c 2 guys in a jeep were kicking their asses, hard. It makes it way too unfair for ppl who don't spend hours and hours playing the game.

Another problem is that there are no "***** Guns". In almost every other FPS there was always some ***** Gun that took very little skill to use, and would help to even the playing field between good players, and unskilled ones. In Red Faction for example, the Fusion cannon was the BG.

The game is innovative. The 2 player co-op game was the most fun I've ever had on any console game, period. The single player game was cool as hell. The levels were massive, and intense. The AI was amazing, IMO. The only problem is its multiplayer, probably b/c I'm too used to Action-Quake styled games, where the action is fast paced, and bullets fly all over the place, and there is location-sensitive damage. Halo sorta slowed the pace down, and made most of the combat take place at long range, w/ sniper rifles, and not enough on medium to shortrange. And the game is too unforgiving to those that don't practice all the time. I can mutilate all my friends w/ a sniper rifle, at ranges that they can't even see me. It's no fun for them, or me for that matter. And when I don't play and just watch my friends play, whichever team finds the Jeep first immediately wins. And all of my friends were reasonably good at NOLF, but for some reason, they all suck at Halo, except for one who plays racing games alot, so he just finds a jeep and crushes everyone, except for me, I just nade the hell out of him =]

Huckleberry
03-06-2002, 12:08 PM
if you could combine some of the great things in goldeneye's mp with the halo mp, you'd get the perfect game. neither game is lacking in much...goldeneye needed system-linking mp (which, of course, wasn't possible at that point), and halo needs bots and better levels and weapons choices.

the only way you could have as much fun with a pc game would be in a lan mp, and when you figure the equipment cost for 16 computers, monitors, hubs, etc, vs 4 xboxex, 16 controllers, and a hub, well...it' no contest. halo system-linked mp is the most fun you can have without beer...right, maximus?

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by The Terminator
I actually agree w/ the guy who started the thread. The 2 player co-op mode kicked serious ass. But the 4 player mp mode... it just did not cut it IMO. You move too **** slow, and they decided to include headshots, so you have slow moving ppl w/ headshots enabled, and that just equates into pistol or sniper battles. Anyone who decides to use something else just ends up dead against anyone who is any good. The weapon selection is also way too small. The character models are just too big and easy to hit. The jump is also like a slow hover. There is no way to really dodge anything, and so the good players always totally decimate everyone else, and good campers are just a pain in the ass. I'm very used to games like RTCW and Q3A, so the MP game is just too slow paced for me. Most of the time, I end up shelving the game during parties, b/c everyone gets tired of it. DOA3 is my party favorite game right now.

I am looking forward to Agent Under Fire, and Battlefield: 1942. Hopefully those games will provide some FPS multiplayer that my friends and I will really like. Halo just didn't do it in the MP department.

Well, did you know that you can speed up the Master Cheif by going into the options section in the multi-player settings? There is so much you can change and customize that it's incredible. You can take out Pistols and Snipers if you like.

Also, people might get bored of playing Halo multi-player most likely because they are playing the same people every single time. Each person knows the other's patterns and behaviors. Try going on-line with Gamespy...get a total of four dudes and play a few games of Team Slayer, Slayer, and CTF against 4 other guys. It's so amazing and I gaurantee you will become a celebrity among all your friends every time they come over to play!

No joke...I have friends that have the XBox and other friends that don't...and my phone is constantly ringing off the hook for people wanting to come over just to play Halo on-line at my house! lol...It's almost a phenominon!! :D

But, then again, two weeks ago, I bought a brand new HDTV which makes for breathtaking visuals...so, that kinda helps, too :D

clownbow
03-07-2002, 06:17 AM
i recon halo is the best fps i have ever played

Liquid Gears
03-08-2002, 12:17 AM
Halo's not only over rated ,but too easy as well!!!

clownbow
03-08-2002, 12:57 AM
i sold my ps2 with 30 games so i could buy a xbox,
and the xbox kicks ass halo is my faverate game on it.
and i have 12 games

shererboat
03-09-2002, 09:42 AM
personally, i think halo IS da best FPS game i played, but if u disagree, to each his own right??

but if ur not happy with xboxs current FPS selection (which is halo, hahaha) be patient coz theres plenty coming out!!

including unreal championship, which i think is being released alongside with da online network??, which should satisfy the hunger of all FPS lovers!!

Alien
03-09-2002, 10:20 AM
See, having a whole arsenal of weapons is fake. Halo is real, and just like in real life, the average man could carry 2 weapons that were the size of the ones in Halo. In Goldeneye, you could scroll through like 20 weapons, and that made it unreal. I mean Halo is fake i know, but it still is real to a certain extent.

xtr0n187
03-09-2002, 02:48 PM
Halo with all the sci-fi guns and technology is real i know,lol. NASA is studying the halo right now as we speak on the hubble telescope too. And the Warthog design that came from Ford Motor Company like we all didnt know that and Lockheed Martin they made a bid on the Pelican design too. I know its all real....I live in Nevada and i see Banshees flying around all the time by Area 51...Where do you think halo got all its ideas from...ITS ALL REAL!

Englishguy
03-09-2002, 04:11 PM
your smokin' crack zeek. Don't know what game you're playing, but it aint Halo.

Alien
03-10-2002, 08:27 AM
Yeah, i see banshees, and covenant dropships flying overhead like everyday. Gets sort of annoying after a while. :rolleyes:

Not really

stilly
03-13-2002, 07:17 AM
right i'm a first person junkie, played golden eye loved it, though perfect dark was better, in that the weapons were better, and bots in multiplayer, then i played half life on the pc, blew me away, story was amazing, and the enemy ai the best ever, so i caned the fps on pc since then, and no one lives for ever, ain't in me top ten, halo looks the dogs testies, but as i get it tomorrow i can't comment on it, but having played moh, allied assault, i reckon it must on par with halo, but it kept crashing, and after a days rebooting the pc i took it back,(it coming out on the xbox was my thought anyway) and bought seirous sam 1&2, 1 played them for ten minutes and then gave up, cack with a capital c, so after i've caned halo i'll give me verdict, but the ones to beat at the moment are mod,aa, and half life, and everything i've seen on halo, seems to better them, halo dribble, dribble, and max payne was good but way too short, is the xbox version a carbon copy, or have they added extras, heard nothing about that so doubt it, i'll wait till it's cheap, cos it ain't worth £45. no one lives for ever better then halo, what a larff.

Halo Perfect
03-13-2002, 03:39 PM
If anyone actually thinks that Halo is over rated they must b on crack or something, because this is the best game out there for Xbox, and if u dont like Halo go blow yourself!

X-Factor
03-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Halo Perfect- You are the newest XBA forums member, and you already have 22 posts???

You are really getting off to a great. It took me like a month to get that many posts. Hell, you're the newest member, and I can't even call you a newbie!!:(

Halo Perfect
03-13-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by X-Factor
Halo Perfect- You are the newest XBA forums member, and you already have 22 posts???

You are really getting off to a great. It took me like a month to get that many posts. Hell, you're the newest member, and I can't even call you a newbie!!:(

hey thanks, i think, well this one right right here is my 33.

Calve
03-17-2002, 04:35 PM
NOLF VS HALO!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?
IS THIS KID ON CRACK OR SUMTHING... SOMEONE HOLD ME BACK..... BEFORE I PULL A HALO ON HIS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

stilly
03-18-2002, 01:30 AM
halo is the daddy of all fps, got it thursday, finished it sunday, the most intense game ever, wow, the grass looks real i was heard mumbling in my sleep. nothing come close to this game, bungie are gods.

UltraMuffin
03-19-2002, 03:28 PM
I'd play Goldeneye over Halo any day.
I would go as far as to say I didn't even like single player Halo. It felt like a chore to play to me. Maybe carrying a max of two weapons is more realistic, but being realistic doesn't exactly equate to fun. I found the levels in Halo to be extremely repetitive, and the wall textures of the indoor environments to be bland (I must say though, I was impressed by the grass). Everytime people act like Halo was the best game ever made, I feel queazy. What made Goldeneye so great was it's variety of environments, unique missions, cool weapons, lots of unlockable content, its seemless blend of indoor and outdoor environments. Hell, I'd rather play Doom than Halo, at least it has cool enemies.

Well, that's just my opinion, of course.

stilly
03-20-2002, 04:57 AM
well i know it's your opinion, and yes golden eye was good, but dosen't come close to halo, i found the missions exciting, the enemies very good, and as for the scenery, i spent too much time filling aliens with hot lead to dislike them, plus all the craft you get to drive, awesome stuff, then theres the mulyiplayer, but goldeneye was good in the stuff you could unlock, but perfect dark was far better in my humble opinion, and you are outvoted by thousands of halo fiends. look again at the master piece that is halo, and despair. what a game.

Halo of Flies
03-20-2002, 05:34 AM
Sure Halo was over-hyped, ALL games are over-hyped - it's called 'marketing'. That doesn't stop it from being the best FPS ever (sorry Half-life you lost your crown).