PDA

View Full Version : USB Keyboard

kerrycorcoran
02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Just got my xbox 360. Sometimes while playing Rock Band I want to send a quick message to a friend (when they hop online). Using the controller to type a message sucks.

I have a spare USB keyboard. Can I plug the keyboard into any open USB port (on the Xbox)? If I wanted to type a message would the Xbox automatically know to accept the keyboard input? Would I have to back out of my game first?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Kerry

Ry
02-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Nope, keyboard works, I have a usb keyboard pluged in the back usb port, about the internet cord, dont need to get out of a game, just type.

kerrycorcoran
02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Well, I plugged in my USB keyboard and powered on the Xbox 360. The green light on the keyboard flashed on/off and the Xbox started normal. When I attemped to use the keyboard (just hit caps lock on/off to see if it repsonded) nothing happened. I tried to type a message, nothing. I tried plugging the keyboard into alot USB ports; same results. I plugged the keyboard back into my computer and it works without issue.
Any ideas?
Kerry

Dr_J
02-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Just get the Chat Pad:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360messengerkit/

Ainokeatoo
02-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Well, I plugged in my USB keyboard and powered on the Xbox 360. The green light on the keyboard flashed on/off and the Xbox started normal. When I attemped to use the keyboard (just hit caps lock on/off to see if it repsonded) nothing happened. I tried to type a message, nothing. I tried plugging the keyboard into alot USB ports; same results. I plugged the keyboard back into my computer and it works without issue.
Any ideas?
Kerry

That's odd, the lights won't respond when you press caps lock and what not, but you should be able to at least type. It doesn't do anything at all you say? That's weird, seeing as mine does the same as yours yet it would allow me to type...

Ry
02-06-2008, 07:25 AM
I dont think you can use caps on the dashboard, Only in a message, I will get a video of mine after school and post it.

JackTheWhack
02-06-2008, 08:43 AM
The last time I checked, Microsoft only wants Microsoft Only keyboards. I had one but now use it for my laptop, but its a Microsoft USB Keyboard that worked awesome. But now I use the Chat Pad, its the best thing I've invested in for the 360. Definitely worth checking out if the Keyboard doesn't work.

*Whack*

kerrycorcoran
02-06-2008, 02:41 PM
I dont think you can use caps on the dashboard, Only in a message, I will get a video of mine after school and post it.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it!

Kerry

Ainokeatoo
02-06-2008, 02:48 PM
The last time I checked, Microsoft only wants Microsoft Only keyboards. I had one but now use it for my laptop, but its a Microsoft USB Keyboard that worked awesome. But now I use the Chat Pad, its the best thing I've invested in for the 360. Definitely worth checking out if the Keyboard doesn't work.

*Whack*

I don't like the chat pad, it really looks like something that IMers would like, I can't move my fingers around at godly speeds like most people can. So the keyboard is more my thing, I type hellah fast, I just text like a dead turtle :sleeping:

EDIT: Oh I forgot, WELCOME TO XBA enjoy your stay.

Variation-XBA
02-08-2008, 04:46 PM
The last time I checked, Microsoft only wants Microsoft Only keyboards.

Nope, not true. Ive used a few different ones before the chatpad came out.

Chatpad is amazing though, grab one if you hav the money.

JackTheWhack
02-09-2008, 10:34 AM
Yea I wasn't sure but I noticed those Microsoft keyboards worked best, but after the chatpad was released I hopped over.

*Whack*

ll Mista GT ll
02-09-2008, 10:51 AM
I have 2 Logitech wireless keyboards. I use my Logitech 510s for my 360, i just tuck it under my desk while not in use :p

Ninjermy
02-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Just get the Chat Pad:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360messengerkit/

This thing is dope!

AzsJuggler
03-09-2008, 03:41 AM
I have 2 Logitech wireless keyboards. I use my Logitech 510s for my 360, i just tuck it under my desk while not in use :p

Ditto. I've found these to be the best WKB's.

Although those chatpads look sweet....there only like 30 bucks right?

Not Green
03-10-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't have either a keyboard or the chatpad but if I were you I would just go out and get the chat pad. That way you won't have to worry about the keyboard getting in the way.