PDA

View Full Version : Apple to make video game console?

Wreckless
03-05-2002, 08:40 PM
I found this:

http://www.pcvsconsole.com/news/news.php?id=729&filter=1

Has any one seen this/heard about this?

For people who are lazy:

Today, ZDNet posted a little rant about Apple Corporation becoming a possible video game console maker sometime in the future. One quality that makes Apple a possible competitor is their very good operating system called OS X that is based on Unix. Another quality that Apple possesses is its ability to capture the home user’s attention with innovative home computing products. Since Apple loves challenging Microsoft with its own “hip” versions of the same products, perhaps Apple will make an “Ibox” to compete with Microsoft’s XBox. Apple hasn’t made any announcements on this yet but keep your eyes peeled on the console industry. It’s a market that seems to be getting more and more competitive every year. Now that’s food for thought!

Yesterday, I told you that my vision of the "next big thing" is a new home-computing architecture that grows up from a game console. And I promised that today I’d name my choice for the company best able to make this a reality.

It’s Apple Computer, the only company with all the skills--and the incentive--needed to make this happen.

Over the past five years, Apple Computer has become an even more marginal player in personal computing. (Of course, it looks like personal computing itself has become pretty marginalized lately, at least if hardware sales are any indication.)

APPLE NEEDS something to spark some growth, and while its strategy today is more solid than it has been in years, the company still can't overcome its biggest problem: Windows is already in most of the places Apple wants to be. If Apple is to grow, it needs to find something new--and that's what I am offering.

The next big thing won’t be a single item, though I’ve already described it as a game console that takes over the home. People are looking for ways to improve entertainment and communications, perhaps bringing things like computing and home automation along for the ride. This will likely require multiple devices, from multiple vendors, all working together.

Sorry 'bout the length!

monkeyman
03-05-2002, 08:42 PM
crazy so much competition in the end microsoft will come out shinning:D

ISTA MISTA HI HO!!!!

http://newtown.hi-ho.ne.jp/raibo/raidersei/image/agency/cm/kouyou.swf

Davidjazzman12
03-05-2002, 08:44 PM
:eek:
LOLOLOLOL
if apple made a console it would problaby suck!!!
hahaha its trying to compete with microsoft? hahahaha:eek:

zeek39
03-05-2002, 08:45 PM
I hate apple.....

Wreckless
03-05-2002, 08:49 PM
The name might be the "Ibox".
Sound fimilar?
Just because you switch 1 letter doesnt make your console as powerful.
This is just soooo lame of Apple>

Afro Aura
03-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by zeek39
I hate apple.....
come on I like the Apple it's got to be the easiest computer to work with, but saying that I'm using a every day PC hahaha

zeek39
03-05-2002, 09:19 PM
OOOHHHH I love you British people you can see through things .... har har har

I'm so happy! :) :) :)

Heyyoudvd
03-05-2002, 09:22 PM
If Apple made a game consoles, technologically, it would be far superior to Microsoft's console (Xbox or Xbox 2) but would probaby lack the devlelopers, so it won't be as good.

That's exactly how the computer industry is. Technologically, Macs are more powerful than anything Intel or AMD can make, and OSX is better than any OS microsoft has (even though XP is good), but just like Macs don't support very many games, Apple probably won't won't get very many good developers.

That's my 2 cents.

Rock2
03-05-2002, 09:42 PM
please not another console!!!!!!!!!

preetz16
03-05-2002, 10:00 PM
:rolleyes:
Some of you people are so stupid. To have a good argument you must have things called "warrents". Now I don't mean to insult some of the people on this site, but for others I'm sure that I've all gone over your head. But anyway, for future reference, if you want to make a point, a warrent, or a reason, is somewhat nessessary. If there is no warrent for the claim you make, you really just come out sounding like an idiot.
On the power issue...most of those who think that machine power is what makes a console great are those who think that Pentium 4s are faster than G4s because they have higher megahertz. It's easy for some people to drop a couple terms and act like they know a lot about computers when they really have no idea what they're talking about.
And, oh god, don't get me started on those of you who say Apple is copying Micro$oft. I'd say (given the conclusion that they are 'copying' Micro$oft, and that under this interpretation Micro$oft is just as guilty for 'copying' sony) that by now they probably have the right to do so. I don't have anywhere near the time to list the hundreds upons hundreds of features that Micro$oft blatately ripped off of Apple. Please, let's try to act moderately intellegent here...
:rolleyes:

~Paul Reetz

goingwreckless
03-05-2002, 10:53 PM
it probably lag like the computer software

FlyBoy
03-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Just reading the title to this post makes me laugh hysterically!!!:eek:

GokuX
03-06-2002, 12:16 AM
I thought they came close to entering the game market once before with a console called "Pippin." They probably did take some interest in MS's successful jump to the market. They'd be foolish not to. The Xbox is basically the last console I'll be buying for years to come so if Apple brings something out I'll be passing on it. It could be good though.

FpS_PhReeK
03-06-2002, 12:21 AM
I worked in a computer lab for a couple years while I was finishing my Masters degree, and we had like 30 Mac's and 30 Dell's there was always a line for the Dell's just after dinner,,, I never recall seeing the Mac's filled up. They just seem to run slower and have more problems with freezing up.... not traits that I would find valuable in my console.

Check this out:
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=74875

No need to thank me, good luck tring to sleep after seeing that.

PhReeK out!

Razor70
03-06-2002, 12:56 AM
It's the late 70's all over again! hehe.....Didn't Apple try this once before with computers and/or OS systems? I tell ya, if Microsoft does something..then Apple will be right there afterwards. We should have all known.

Hugh_Jass
03-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Apple makes consumer products with good interfaces.
The XBOX already has a great interface and any idiot can hook it up. How much easier can it get?

Apple has NEVER had a good track record with gaming.

I doubt they would dilute their focus in this manner.

GokuX
03-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Does Apple really have the financial capacity to launch headlong into the gaming market? I mean they'd have to dump a ton of money to be able to even think of competing with the likes of Sony, MS, and Nintendo. Plus I think the last thing people really want is another console for at least 3 or 4 more years. Apple suffered those huge losses years ago, but I know they've recouped for the most part and retooled, but I thought they still had some financial struggles ahead of them.

RudedogX
03-06-2002, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Razor70
It's the late 70's all over again! hehe.....Didn't Apple try this once before with computers and/or OS systems? I tell ya, if Microsoft does something..then Apple will be right there afterwards. We should have all known.

Hate to break it to you, but as I recall, MS stole Apple's OS idea and changed it before either company was fully established. Jobs was foolish in thinking that they could trust Bill Gates with his ideas. MS came out with the same idea, but 2 or 3 months before Apple. So, no, Apple did not follow on the coattails of MS then, they were just duped. Also, I hate Macs/Apples, so even if another console were to come out (especially if it was Apple made product), not only would I not buy it, but I'd be shocked if it had very good developer support.

Spaztic
03-06-2002, 10:22 AM
I think apples timing is very bad if they are considering a new console. The market is fully saturated and if they do have a gaming system, I am pretty sure it will fail due to little to no developer support. Bad idea, Bad timing, Bad computers!

Xboxderekman
03-06-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Wreckless
I found this:

http://www.pcvsconsole.com/news/news.php?id=729&filter=1

Has any one seen this/heard about this?

For people who are lazy:

Today, ZDNet posted a little rant about Apple Corporation becoming a possible video game console maker sometime in the future. One quality that makes Apple a possible competitor is their very good operating system called OS X that is based on Unix. Another quality that Apple possesses is its ability to capture the home user’s attention with innovative home computing products. Since Apple loves challenging Microsoft with its own “hip” versions of the same products, perhaps Apple will make an “Ibox” to compete with Microsoft’s XBox. Apple hasn’t made any announcements on this yet but keep your eyes peeled on the console industry. It’s a market that seems to be getting more and more competitive every year. Now that’s food for thought!

Yesterday, I told you that my vision of the "next big thing" is a new home-computing architecture that grows up from a game console. And I promised that today I’d name my choice for the company best able to make this a reality.

It’s Apple Computer, the only company with all the skills--and the incentive--needed to make this happen.

Over the past five years, Apple Computer has become an even more marginal player in personal computing. (Of course, it looks like personal computing itself has become pretty marginalized lately, at least if hardware sales are any indication.)

APPLE NEEDS something to spark some growth, and while its strategy today is more solid than it has been in years, the company still can't overcome its biggest problem: Windows is already in most of the places Apple wants to be. If Apple is to grow, it needs to find something new--and that's what I am offering.

The next big thing won’t be a single item, though I’ve already described it as a game console that takes over the home. People are looking for ways to improve entertainment and communications, perhaps bringing things like computing and home automation along for the ride. This will likely require multiple devices, from multiple vendors, all working together.

Sorry 'bout the length!

Stupid macs... Always trying to be cool, they will never sucseed. PCs all the way, (xbox in the lead)

yall
03-06-2002, 10:37 AM
Um... do you guys know who basicaly owns apple right now? Microsoft. They would'nt allow Crapple to produce a console, plain and simple. Also, on a side note, when comparing speeds of G4's vs. Pentiums, you have to realize the processors are very different. The apple is a RISC processor, whereas Intels/Athlons are CISC. No one wants to work with RISC because its too difficult to program. The RISC processor may be faster, but it has to do multiple instructions just to do what a CISC can do in one instruction, so the the speed advantage is lost.

Chr0nik
03-06-2002, 11:26 AM
Maybe they will call it the MacBox. :D

If this comes true they will fail, they can't compete against MS,

they should have learned their lesson with the PC business.

CyberBOMB
03-06-2002, 11:34 AM
Oh my god, if they cant even sell their computers how can they sell video game consoles.

If this is true its time to take apple out back and put 2 to its head.

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 12:17 PM
Well, let's see...we already have the best of the best known as the XBox....

And, other systems we have on the market are the:

1. LameCube
2. PoS2

~~~and now: (drum roll please)~~~

The Crapple!! :D

Storm
03-06-2002, 12:22 PM
LOLOLOL The crapple. Wooooo! That was good.

But come on...the PoS2? :confused:

Even though its collecting dust...I still love it. :p :p hehe

GokuX
03-06-2002, 01:39 PM
I must say OSX is pretty nifty. They were probably all set to release a game console powered by the OSX kernal a year ago and were gonna call it the Xbox. Then MS announced the Xbox and Apple is like "Oh shoot what are we gonna call it now dangit." After several weeks of intensive focus groups and research: "Well heck we just can't think of a name for this danged console now that MS took Xbox," "We can't just throw an I in there somewhere cuz we've already used our quota of I names for the year." "Oh well let's just scrap the whole project and release another round of colored Imacs to make up the financial losses."

wweomaniac
03-06-2002, 04:24 PM
ahhhh lol. I think that I will stick with the XBOX.

Doesn't Bill gates own a big part of Apple too?? In 1994, I'm pretty sure he bought a bunch of shares worth of Apple from Steve Jobs. I remember seeing him at some apple convention announcing he had bought ****** shares of apple corp. And I'm pretty sure he has a lot of those shares.

So I bet he'd be pretty ****ed off to see one of his companies compete against his corp.

darianX
03-06-2002, 04:41 PM
Ol Stevie boy must be hittin that pipe pretty hard to put something out like that. Good God...we all know how many fine games come out for the Macintosh, just IMAGINE all the wonderful titles we'd see if they pump out a console that looks like a vase or something...

Hugh_Jass
03-07-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX

Hate to break it to you, but as I recall, MS stole Apple's OS idea and changed it before either company was fully established. Jobs was foolish in thinking that they could trust Bill Gates with his ideas. MS came out with the same idea, but 2 or 3 months before Apple. So, no, Apple did not follow on the coattails of MS then, they were just duped. Also, I hate Macs/Apples, so even if another console were to come out (especially if it was Apple made product), not only would I not buy it, but I'd be shocked if it had very good developer support.

Do some research on XEROX PARC. Apple & MS both stole their ideas from PARC.