PDA

View Full Version : MLB 2k8

Slowride
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Lets get a list of people here who are picking this game up. From what I've read it looks like it's going to be ****ing sweet!

I preordered it, although despite my best attempts gamestop is refusing to let me have it until tomorrow. Oh well.

I'm thinking we should coordinate some XBA tournaments. Maybe have our own playoffs.....we'll figure something out. Mattgame stop being a punk and get it for xbox!

List update:
Slowride (ChampTTU)
CrazyCougar
mattgame(reaperofsouls)....although he's *****ing out and getting it for the ps3
SilentFatality
WillyV2

CrazyCougar
03-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Without a doubt I will have this one tomorrow around lunchtime, or so thats what the gamestop guy tells me! Go O's!!!!!!!!!!

Slowride
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
My Braves will crush you!

mattgame
03-03-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm getting it.........................for the PS3.:nightmare

Slowride
03-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm getting it.........................for the PS3.:nightmare

.........you better explain yourself!

Shawn-XBA
03-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Without a doubt I will have this one tomorrow around lunchtime, or so thats what the gamestop guy tells me! Go O's!!!!!!!!!!
I didn't know you were an Orioles fan. Go O's!!! :cool:

I might pick this one up, but its going to be a month or two. Just don't have the money right now. :(

Ry
03-03-2008, 09:42 PM
The only baseball game I've played was for the Wii, are they good for the 360? Im not much of a baseball fan, but I like to play catch:D

WillyV2
03-04-2008, 04:50 AM
Slowride, you can count me in. I plan on picking it up sometime this week. I've been looking forward to it, for a while now.

CrazyCougar
03-04-2008, 06:02 AM
Slowride, I think its safe to say that most teams will crush my O's! LOL! Not only the Braves.

SilentFatality, been an O's fan since a wee little lad. My grandfather used to do the team laundry back in the 70's and early 80's so I got to meet alot of my alltime hero's including a guy called Cal Ripken Jr and some other guy named Eddie Murray. Good ole Memorial Stadium.

CrazyCougar
03-04-2008, 07:35 PM
I guess one word can sum this game up after playing it for the past 6 hours.

Disappointing. Not bad, just disappointing.

Shawn-XBA
03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
SilentFatality, been an O's fan since a wee little lad. My grandfather used to do the team laundry back in the 70's and early 80's so I got to meet alot of my alltime hero's including a guy called Cal Ripken Jr and some other guy named Eddie Murray. Good ole Memorial Stadium.
Yeah, I've been an O's fan all my life as well. Grew up watching Cal Ripken Jr. I got to meet him after a game down here, his last game ever played in Tampa. Got his signature on a few posters. Such a great guy. I used to live 3 blocks from Memorial Stadium. :cool:

mattgame
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM
I guess one word can sum this game up after playing it for the past 6 hours.

Disappointing. Not bad, just disappointing.

I'm so disappointed I'm taking mine back and getting MLB the Show.

WillyV2
03-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm so disappointed I'm taking mine back and getting MLB the Show.

What's wrong with it? I've been waiting for a good baseball game to play...

mattgame
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
First off the graphics are actually not as good as last year. The framerate slows to damn near a crawl. The batting sucks because you can't control conact or power swing. I swear to God the first thing Joe and the other guy said was the exact same line from last year about why can't people bunt or some shat like that. The name s on the players are unrecognizeable and they could be 60 feet away from you. I did like the throwing and the pitching to a certain extent. Remember, I'm playing the PS3 version but I hear it's pretty much the same thing for the 360. It's going back tomorrow.

CrazyCougar
03-05-2008, 01:22 AM
I guess the best way to sum it up is that 2k7 made progress in the issues that 2k6 had. Freezing, laggy, framerate issues, bad commentary, etc... Well, now that 2k8 is here, it seems they regressed back to the issues that plagued 2k6.

As matt said, the throwing meter, pitching mechanics are great. I love them. My complaints are not about the mechanics of the game, but more so the regression of its playability.

To give one example of bad commentary...I blasted a 450 foot homerun...Then Joe comes around and says "That a run, he did it the hard way though...and in the ball park homerun." I kinda chuckled it off..Then it happened again, and again, and again with each passing homerun. BTW, the game is a homerun fest on normal difficulty. I hit back to back to back to back homeruns with the Orioles then skipped a batter, and hit 2 more home runs back to back. If ya know anything about baseball..that aint happening! LOL! Now I will disagree with matt on the contact and power complaint a little. Its all about seeing the pitch, taking your step perfectly, and then either pushing the stick up completely or just letting it go back to the middle. But the devs said you wouldnt be able to pull low and outside pitches into moonshots anymore, they lied.

WillyV2
03-05-2008, 05:05 AM
First off the graphics are actually not as good as last year. The framerate slows to damn near a crawl. The batting sucks because you can't control conact or power swing. I swear to God the first thing Joe and the other guy said was the exact same line from last year about why can't people bunt or some shat like that. The name s on the players are unrecognizeable and they could be 60 feet away from you. I did like the throwing and the pitching to a certain extent. Remember, I'm playing the PS3 version but I hear it's pretty much the same thing for the 360. It's going back tomorrow.

Your going to get MLB 08: The Show instead?

CrazyCougar
03-05-2008, 06:20 AM
Since he has a PS3, I think that would be his best option for video game baseball this year.

Slowride
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
2k8 is our only option I believe. I wasn't OVERLY impressed with the game, nor terribly disappointed. I'm going to give it a few more days before I make my judgement on it. Basically, as of right now I suck at it. I'm not use to it. This is the first baseball game i've owned since tecmo baseball and ken griffey jr baseball for the game boy color. Although I have enjoyed playing 2k7 on my friend's ps2....atleast I think it is 2k7. It's 2007 whatever it is.

I didn't spend much time with it last night. I get home from work pretty whipped some times. Maybe this weekend I can dig in more.

mattgame
03-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Your going to get MLB 08: The Show instead?

Yes. I love baseball. The best baseball games I played was MLB 01 for the playstation and the last baseball game that EA made I think it was MVP Baseball 2005. I liked last years 2K offering even with the super outfielders who could rob you of about 3 homers a game. But this is not progress. This is going backwards. I'm disappointed and I really want my money back but I'll settle for a trade and MLB The Show.

Slowride
03-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I've never tried to trade in a game i've opened, do you get a straigt up trade? Because if so I might consider doing it for army of two.

How long do you have to do this? I purchased from gamestop.

Not Orange
03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I really enjoyed the new pitching style for the most part. However, there are many problems with the game. The laggy play and slow frame rate offline is very annoying. It's also hard to read the coach's card you can pull up with the bumper to make subs. I tried to play a game online last night, and it froze. I got back in the lobby, and a guy said in the chat that his did the same thing. I just hope there are updates available in later dates. Its the only baseball game on the 360, so i'll have to settle for it. I guess that's what 2k sports had in mind when they made it.

mattgame
03-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I've never tried to trade in a game i've opened, do you get a straigt up trade? Because if so I might consider doing it for army of two.

How long do you have to do this? I purchased from gamestop.

If it's out of the wrap then it's gonna be a trade. No matter how long.

Slowride
03-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I know, but I was wondering if you bring it in soon enough they'll let you trade the full value of the game.

After playing through a whole game my impression is as follows: The game is solid. I'm catching onto the new mechanics. The problem, and it is glaring, is the framerate. There really is no excuse for this in a final product. Hopefully they issue a patch soon that can fix this problem.

mattgame
03-05-2008, 08:30 PM
They didn't last year. It actually seems worse this year. Yeah, you would think that if you brought it back the next day you could get fullvalue but no sirree.

Update: I bought MLB The Show, and it is leaps and bounds better than 2K8If the Show had the immersion that 2K8 has it would be the best baseball game ever.

Not Orange
03-07-2008, 11:02 AM
When I try to accept a challenge online, my box totally freezes up. I haven't been able to play an online game yet. Anybody else having this problem?

Slowride
03-07-2008, 11:09 AM
I haven't tried it on live yet since I still suck at it.

CrazyCougar
03-07-2008, 12:48 PM
I haven't tried it on live yet since I still suck at it.
Dont, its not worth it...LOL. IF you do get into a game it takes almost 2 hours to play due to the lag, etc... UG! Love this game, but it is plagued by major issues.

RockTheCasba
03-08-2008, 01:12 PM
wow another terrible baseball game from 2k. this is so bad ha wow just wow

Slowride
03-08-2008, 01:48 PM
I was on the 2k boards and saw that they are currently working on a patch for the framerate issue.

CrazyCougar
03-08-2008, 03:37 PM
They said the same thing for 2k6...Exactly the same thing. And they said they were working on patches for hockey 2k6 and 2k7...But nothing ever came about. I wont hold my breath until I see it actualy come about.

mattgame
03-08-2008, 05:23 PM
There is no reason for a game to be worse than it was the year before. This is an outrage!:mad:

DozertheDozaria
03-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the info guys... I was somewhat interested in a new baseball game. With what you're saying I'm going to pass on this one...

Thanks again...
:cheers:
Dozer

Nato King
03-09-2008, 05:01 PM
We just put the achievements up for this game.

Click Here (http://www.xboxaddict.com/product_profile/1543.html#achievements) to check them out.

Slowride
03-09-2008, 08:37 PM
We just put the achievements up for this game.

Click Here (http://www.xboxaddict.com/product_profile/1543.html#achievements) to check them out.

Thanks dude!

Bigwig
03-10-2008, 12:06 AM
They said the same thing for 2k6...Exactly the same thing. And they said they were working on patches for hockey 2k6 and 2k7...But nothing ever came about. I wont hold my breath until I see it actualy come about.

The NHL 2k8 patch fixed the framerate online. The NBA 2k8 patch fixed a lot of little issues. The CH 2k8 patch was huge. The game went from good to best sports game this gen.

CrazyCougar
03-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Stilll have to remember one thing. This company is about to be bought out in 2 months. So what motivation do they have to support this title. My past experiences with 2K games have been horrible on the 360, so I wont give them an ounce of credit until they prove otherwise.

I didnt play 2k8 hockey as they lost me after 2K6 and 2k7 and EA gained a new hockey fan. And basketball...well lets just no thanks..LOL!

WillyV2
04-04-2008, 09:42 PM
I still want to give this game a try. If it's that bad I'll just go back to 2K7, I guess.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Stilll have to remember one thing. This company is about to be bought out in 2 months. So what motivation do they have to support this title. My past experiences with 2K games have been horrible on the 360, so I wont give them an ounce of credit until they prove otherwise.

I didnt play 2k8 hockey as they lost me after 2K6 and 2k7 and EA gained a new hockey fan. And basketball...well lets just no thanks..LOL!

u know i use to love the 2k seriese on the dreamcast, i dont know what happened to the 2k seriese, after the dreamcast they just all went down.

CrazyCougar
04-04-2008, 11:18 PM
The NHL 2k8 patch fixed the framerate online. The NBA 2k8 patch fixed a lot of little issues. The CH 2k8 patch was huge. The game went from good to best sports game this gen.

If I remember correctly for 2k6 hockey, how long did it take for the patch to arrive? It was long enough to just put the game away and never think about it again wasnt it? I know MLB 2k6 had the same issue of a patch taking forever or not showing up altogether.

mattgame
04-05-2008, 08:50 PM
If you have a PS3 MLB The Show is the best bet trust me. Do you still get robbed for about 3 homers a game? LOL!!!

CrazyCougar
04-06-2008, 08:46 AM
No that has all been tweaked and the game of MLB 2k8 is the best damn game I have ever played for a baseball game. Unfortunately at this moment its hard to recommend due to some playability issues especially with online. If the patch fixes these issues I would highly recommend this game over any other baseball title ever including The Show.

Now there is a patch coming for the PS3 as well so again if that fixes the issues on the PS3 I would hands down say this game bloows The Show out of the water in gameplay and reality. The Show is pretty to look at but button baseball is so 3 years old.

CrackinBacks
04-09-2008, 05:25 AM
If I had the extra cash I would buy a PS3 and The Show 08.....I vowed after playing MLB 2k7 I wouldn't get 2k8, and I didn't. Glad I kept the 60 bucks, but it is dissapointing to not be playing baseball on the 360. Just wish EA wouldn't have started all this exclusive license crap....mabey we'd be playing MVP 08, which was the best baseball game (MVP 05) IMHO. I'd even take NCAA baseball on the 360....lol.

CrazyCougar
04-09-2008, 06:34 AM
Yeah MVp 05 was an awesome game. Loved it completely. Now that the patch has arrived I have to say that MLB 2k8 sits right up there with MVP 05. I absolutely love the game offline. If someone is looking for online play, well that may be a different story. Supposedly a title update is coming and a complete server upgrade to eliminate the issues with online lag and playability though.

Fingers crossed.

WillyV2
04-18-2008, 09:59 AM
I ordered it from Ebay and it came today. I played it a bit and I have to say I'm enjoying it so far. I'm getting a little bit of a handle on the games techniques - fielding, throwing, pitching. I'm still getting a feel for batting though, not the strongest hitter. Haha. In between my Call of Duty playing this weekend I'll be playing this.

I didn't experience the game before the patch but there is no framerate issue for me, it's damn near perfect. I however seen videos of the lag and choppy gameplay from before, I'm glad I didn't play through that..

CuartoDePuto
04-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Yeah, the hitting was the toughest part for me to get down, but once I got the rhythm of swinging I started putting runs on the board. I ended up reading this hitting tips topic (http://2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166723) at the 2K boards to get it down. Milledge and Nick Johnson are my best hitters, though I occasionally get a bomb from Wily Mo Pena towards the US Capitol building. :cool:

CrazyCougar
04-23-2008, 08:41 AM
Just a heads up guys. The new roster update is available for download now. I checked my Orioles and not a lot of changes, but a few.

mattgame
04-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Just a heads up guys. The new roster update is available for download now. I checked my Orioles and not a lot of changes, but a few.

You from Bmore?!! The Wire FTW!!!!

CrazyCougar
04-23-2008, 07:53 PM
About 60 miles north of Balitmore in Pennsylvania. My grandfather used to launder the Orioles uniforms in the 70's and early 80's. So I had plenty of good times at Memorial Stadium and got to meet a bunch of my Oriole Heroes from that era. Murray, Palmer, A Young Ripken, etc..

I have so much Orioles memorabilia packed in boxes, I could probably make a ton of money if I sold it on ebay. But no thanks, fan til the day I die and all that stuff has sentimental value.

Black and Orange til i die!!! And for God's sake Angelos!!! Sell the damn team to the Ripkens already!!! GEEEEEZ!

mattgame
04-24-2008, 07:01 AM
About 60 miles north of Balitmore in Pennsylvania. My grandfather used to launder the Orioles uniforms in the 70's and early 80's. So I had plenty of good times at Memorial Stadium and got to meet a bunch of my Oriole Heroes from that era. Murray, Palmer, A Young Ripken, etc..

I have so much Orioles memorabilia packed in boxes, I could probably make a ton of money if I sold it on ebay. But no thanks, fan til the day I die and all that stuff has sentimental value.

Black and Orange til i die!!! And for God's sake Angelos!!! Sell the damn team to the Ripkens already!!! GEEEEEZ!

Murray stuff? Jim P stuff?! Do you have a Brady Anderson hypothermic needle? lol They had a great team back then man. Eddie was one of the most intimidating dudes I ever seen playing baseball.

CrazyCougar
04-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Funny you mention brady....I have a funny story about him...

Few years back I was sitting in the bleachers beside the bullpen. Elrod Hendricks was the pitching coach at the time and he would sit there and chat it up with folks throughout games. I happened to be the one sitting right beside him and talked with him throughout the game.

Anyhow, the game was against the Royals. Mike Sweeney I believe came to bat and blasted one to dead center. (Where we were sitting.) The guys in the front row stood up to catch the ball, so i didnt even bother and continued sitting in my seat (in the second row.) The ball hit there hands and landed in my lap...LOL! Well, since it was a visitor homerun the chant to throw it back started. UG! My first ever homerun ball and I really didnt care if it was hit by the other team! LOL!

Elrod could see I was struggling to decide whether or not to throw it back. He leaned over and said, "Make them happy and throw it back. I got you covered." So adrenaline pumping, I stood up and threw the ball back as hard as I could without even really looking where I was throwing... The ball missed Brady's head by about 2 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap, I almost killed Brady Anderson! LOL!

Elrod came over shortly there after and handed me a baseball. It was signed by all the ptichers and himself that were in the bullpen at that time. That was pretty kewl. And I was quick to tell Elrod to tell brady I was sorry and didnt mean to almost hit him! LOL! Little did I know he was pumping steroids so it probably wouldnt have hurt him!

CuartoDePuto
05-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Dude, love The Wire! But Netflix won't ship me discs, someone is hogging them in my region. :mad:

Anyone else still playing this? I just got through the All-Star break, and I've been creeping towards first place as I've been mastering the control stick style of hitting and pitching. No way I can go back to the old style at this point, I love it.