PDA

View Full Version : Move your MP3 collection to Xbox

Scav880
03-06-2002, 09:30 AM
Here's the deal: Microsoft wisely decided to allow Xfans the opportunity to rip their own music and create their own soundtracks for use whilst playing games on Xbox. It also means you can compile your favorite soundtrack for chilling to when you're all Xboxed out.

Why rip music to Xbox?
By installing a nice fat 10gig (I know, I know it's 8gig!) hard-drive into Xbox, Xfans can board to Bob Marley and the Wailers, blast around Tokyo at 140 MPH whilst grooving to Plácido Domingo or waste some bad dudes whilst rocking to Linkin Park.

How do I rip music to my Xbox?
To rip music to your Xbox, you simply need to insert the original audio CD into the CD-Drive on your Xbox, head over to the audio menu and copy your fave tracks to the folder of your choice.

How do I rip MP3 tunes to my Xbox?
Alternatively, if you're like 98% of the video-game public, you'll have 1 or 2 MP3's on you're PC (I thought I had a lot on my hard-drive - 3Gig's worth, until someone mentioned he has 46Gigs of MP3 audio....) and you'd like to put them on Xbox - right?

To accomplish this task you will need some software and some CDRW's. I personally use Nero (http://www.ahead.de), but other packages that are upto the task include Easy CD creator from Roxio (http://www.roxio.com) and Windows Media Player included with Windows XP

On the CDRW front - note this means Compact Disc Read and Write - not CDR - Compact Disk Recordable (write once only). The brands that we have used successfully include Verbatim, TDK and Memorex, but most brands you pick up from Best Buy, Soundtrack or Dixons are upto the task.

Simply use the software above, dump the tunes to CDRW and place into your shiny black box - bring up the copy manager screen on Xbox and rip those tunes to your hearts content.

For more information on ripping tunes to CDR and CDRW, creating VCD movies that play on your DVD player head over to our sponsor magazine: http://www.connectedhomemag.com

Thanks!
Scav.

AlBoogy
03-06-2002, 09:33 AM
Hey scav, did you JUST get your xbox?

Ninja Scroll
03-06-2002, 09:45 AM
Why would I want to go through all that just to rip music?
Sounds to be too much trouble!:eek:

FpS_PhReeK
03-06-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Scav880
Here's the deal: Microsoft wisely decided to allow Xfans the opportunity to rip their own music and create their own soundtracks for use whilst playing games on Xbox. It also means you can compile your favorite soundtrack for chilling to when you're all Xboxed out.

Why rip music to Xbox?
By installing a nice fat 10gig (I know, I know it's 8gig!) hard-drive into Xbox, Xfans can board to Bob Marley and the Wailers, blast around Tokyo at 140 MPH whilst grooving to Plácido Domingo or waste some bad dudes whilst rocking to Linkin Park.

How do I rip music to my Xbox?
To rip music to your Xbox, you simply need to insert the original audio CD into the CD-Drive on your Xbox, head over to the audio menu and copy your fave tracks to the folder of your choice.

How do I rip MP3 tunes to my Xbox?
Alternatively, if you're like 98% of the video-game public, you'll have 1 or 2 MP3's on you're PC (I thought I had a lot on my hard-drive - 3Gig's worth, until someone mentioned he has 46Gigs of MP3 audio....) and you'd like to put them on Xbox - right?

To accomplish this task you will need some software and some CDRW's. I personally use Nero (http://www.ahead.de), but other packages that are upto the task include Easy CD creator from Roxio (http://www.roxio.com) and Windows Media Player included with Windows XP

On the CDRW front - note this means Compact Disc Read and Write - not CDR - Compact Disk Recordable (write once only). The brands that we have used successfully include Verbatim, TDK and Memorex, but most brands you pick up from Best Buy, Soundtrack or Dixons are upto the task.

Simply use the software above, dump the tunes to CDRW and place into your shiny black box - bring up the copy manager screen on Xbox and rip those tunes to your hearts content.

For more information on ripping tunes to CDR and CDRW, creating VCD movies that play on your DVD player head over to our sponsor magazine: http://www.connectedhomemag.com

Thanks!
Scav.

I knew that.

PhReeK out!

Spaztic
03-06-2002, 10:44 AM
....yeah....isn't this covered in the instruction book?

Snoopy7548
03-06-2002, 03:28 PM
i just didnt know u could rip mp3s to the xbox, i thought u could just rip audio tracks, i have a question, do the mp3s keep the id3 tags when u rip them? cause i dont wanna have to rename my 1000+ mp3s if i rip them to my xbox

LynxFX
03-06-2002, 03:59 PM
Actually you can't rip mp3 files to your xbox. At least not in their native form. Don't just start copying loads of mp3s to a cdrw and expect the xbox to see them because it won't.

First you need to convert those mp3s back into a cd audio format or wav format. Most burning apps will do this for you now but if not you can find free software to do it at download.com. Then you burn the cd as an audio cd which the xbox CAN actually read.

Snoopy, you will have to rename your music files once they are copied to the xbox.

Razor70
03-06-2002, 04:02 PM
Does anyone know how many songs one can get on the Xbox before running out of room? I just wondered because I want to do alot of songs on mine but don't want to take up all my space. I wonder how many blocks a normal 4:00 song would take up? If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks Guys!

Batman2372
03-06-2002, 04:51 PM
Remember guys, the Xbox technically only plays WMA's.... it will rip CD Audio and convert them to WMA files.

Now I may be wrong on this, but the Xbox won't convert an mp3. That leaves with you with the option to convert your mp3's... (I think someone has already said this)

I know I won't be doing this (I have 10G of mp3's), I don't think the time involved is worth it.

Snoopy7548
03-06-2002, 06:07 PM
its such a pain, having to rename every song and sh*t

The Terminator
03-06-2002, 06:13 PM
But right now, not enough games use custom soundtracks to make it worth your while...