PDA

View Full Version : New National Past-time. Xbox Bashing???

Scav880
03-06-2002, 09:34 AM
Eurogamer wrote a standard 'bash Xbox' article today, claiming that Xbox is sinking in Japan as sales of the unit - 123,000, were less than that of Nintendo's GC launch of 175,000. Of course, Eurogamer seem to be missing the point that this is Microsoft's first attempt at cracking the lucrative video-game market, where as Nintendo have been pushing Mario, Luigi et al into the Japanese market for what, 20 years?

This kind of Microsoft bashing should be expected in such a fickle industry that see's Microsoft as the big bad giant from Redmond who are determined to buy their way into the games-market.

What these publications and so-called industry experts seem to be missing is that the Xbox division, lead by Robbie Bach and J Allard are hell-bent on creating the best console, the best games and creating the best experience for gamers. The fact that Allard and Bach work for Microsoft is irrelevent, they could just as easily be working for Nintendo, Sony or Sega, but guess what? Nintendo doesn't want to create the greatest console or the best games, they just want to continue milking the cash-cow - ie Video-Game players like you and me...

Ok, I'm getting off my soap-box now, here's the rather negative report from Eurogamer...

Xbox sinks in Japan

February 22nd has been and gone, the first day of Microsoft’s intrusion into the Japanese videogame market proper. Despite Bill Gates describing the launch as going 'super well' to CNN, Bloomberg reports launch sales of approximately 123,000 for the first weekend, approximately half the number Microsoft shipped to the region, with a software tie-in ratio of 1.59, a huge drop from the 2.4 sell-through seen in the States where bundles were almost obligatory.

Even the GameCube, launched days after the September 11th attacks and reportedly a slow-starter in Japan sold 175,000 units in its first weekend, while the mighty PlayStation 2 sold a towering 680,000 units. The biggest selling game was apparently Dead or Alive 3 with roughly 70,000 copies selling, with Genma Onimusha and Project Gotham Racing the only two games other than Tecmo’s offering to head north of 10,000 units.

Sales of the limited edition unit are said to be the most impressive, but one would expect that a lot of those went to those planning to export them, including the likes of Hong Kong-based Lik Sang and other vendors.

The Japanese launch was always going to be an interesting affair, and it seems that the Japanese public have answered in unison. One has to expect games to drive the market though, and so in the long run the prize is still there to be taken.

Nevertheless, we wait with baited breath for the product of Microsoft PR crisis talks and spin doctor meetings, which must be going on in earnest deep within the bowels of Redmond. Let’s hope it tops their November specials. Perhaps they could include contact details for the various Japanese Xbox owners

Ninja Scroll
03-06-2002, 09:39 AM
I get a kick out of new members signing up to Xbox forums and bash the system. Shows how much time they have on their hands to talk down on a console that they are a member of and dislike the system:rolleyes: .
It's all good though, just correct there errors as you have and they cant comeback with a reply without facts as you have.:)

btw, Xbox & GameCube had less than stellar launch but that does not mean the systems will fail.........in Japan that is.:cool:

GokuX
03-06-2002, 09:40 AM
MS can take bashing and turn it into major $$$ fairly easy, so it's no big deal. They have alot of haters following them around all the time. When U're at the top everyone else below U hates U.

Ninja Scroll
03-06-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by GokuX
MS can take bashing and turn it into major $$$ fairly easy, so it's no big deal. They have alot of haters following them around all the time. When U're at the top everyone else below U hates U.

Very, very well said Goku, **cough**AOL-Time Warner**cough** biggest Microsoft playa hater in da industry!:D

When your Number #1 everyone else does get jealous and bashes you at any opportunity possible, kinda like these newbie's challenging everyones role model, Ninja Jubei!:D :cool: :D

GokuX
03-06-2002, 02:00 PM
kinda like these newbie's challenging everyones role model Ninja Jubei

LOL. Keep on stunnin' Ninja.:cool:

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 02:07 PM
Goku makes an excellent point above. It's so funny when alleged "Microsoft haters" act so hypocritical due to the fact that they are some of the first people that actually utilize Microsoft developed hardware, software, and so on over everyone else!

When push comes to shove, Microsoft is always on top. I mean, who in the hell actually uses AOL? Gimme a break! If they do, it's probably their only option...but, that's about it. AOL sucks the juice out of rocks.

Microsoft will be on top regardless of the daily bashing.

~~~~XboX pRyDE!!!~~~~

Scav880
03-06-2002, 02:42 PM
Ninja Scroll... i Wasnt bashing the xbox. I just wrote wut someone in europe wrote. I was just trying to prove how ignorant these people are and they dont know wut they r talkign about. So please dont take me in a negetive sense. I love Xbox and Xbox Addict. I would never disrespect xbox addict or any of its members by bashing the system. Thanks.

Scav.

GokuX
03-06-2002, 03:20 PM
I thought he was bashing U at first too Scav but I re-read it and it looks like he was just refering to recent and past trouble makers who just came in to stir up flames. Smilebit comes to mind. Looks like he might have been complementing U as well. I could be wrong. Anyways, I understood the point of your post and know U're not hating on the Xbox so it's all good.

wweomaniac
03-06-2002, 04:36 PM
the only reason XBOX is doing so bad in Japan is because Japanese are stupid and cheap and can't appreciate change nor recognize a good video gaem console if one came up and cut off on of their small *****'.

now thats a run-on sentence. ;)

Razor70
03-06-2002, 05:12 PM
Actually I think the reason why the Xbox hasn't taken off over in Japan is the lack of games that the Japanese people like over there. Wait until the first RPG hits over there and then we will see how fast they sell. FPS, Sports and Fighting games do okay over there....but not near as good as RPG's.