PDA

View Full Version : gamespy members, help!

No Fear 23
03-06-2002, 04:38 PM
i am thinking aobut sigining up to play halo on it and i have a couple questions. :D

1) how do u play the game? do u play halo on the computer or on the xbox console?
2) my connection may be slow which is about 45,333bps, will it be a problem for that?
3) is it really worth 20$ to sign up?

khaos2005
03-06-2002, 04:48 PM
1) how do u play the game? do u play halo on the computer or on the xbox console?

You play Xbox games on your Xbox, not your PC. ;)

2) my connection may be slow which is about 45,333bps, will it be a problem for that?

Xbox is broadband only, which I am very glad for actually. Get cable or DSL.

Last I checked it was free. It's free for me now, not sure if it has changed. If it does cost that much, I'd say that it's worth it. Xbox on Gamespy is so much fun.

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by irule23
i am thinking aobut sigining up to play halo on it and i have a couple questions. :D

Okay, first, get on-line as soon as possible!!!

Here are the answers to your questions:

Answer to #1: You play on your TV like you normally do, however, you use your computer to operate the forum. You'll see when you get on-line. Think of it like you are playing Halo in a System Link (LAN) environment but, instead you are playing people around the world and not in your living room :)

Answer to #2: Not sure, but, you definately need broadband, whether it is Cable, DSL, etc.

Answer to #3: You don't have to pay the $20. It's actually free...the only thing that the $20 does is that it will get rid of the commercial and pop up ads. If you don't mind that, then, it's free. I'm using it for free...I don't mind the ads.

If you have broadband, this is what you need to get on-line:

1. You need a 10/100 HUB (or Switch)
2. A total of three CAT 5 patch cables
3. Download the free Gamespy Arcade Software and the free Gamespy Tunnel Software. Just go to Gamespyarcade.com to get it.

This is how you hook everything up:

1. From your broadband modem, connect the first CAT 5 cable into it and the other end into your HUB - make sure it goes into the port labeled "Uplink". You will see it.

2. From Port 1 on the HUB, connect a second CAT 5 cable into it and the other end into the ethernet port on your Computer (it's the only input that it will fit into).

3. Finally, from port 2, connect the final CAT 5 cable into it and the other end into the back of your XBox.

Remember, you are playing on your TV just like you normally do. When you want to play, simply open up the Gamespy arcade software icon on your computer (the one you downloaded) and it will launch you to the on-line site. Find the XBox icon and select Halo. You will be brought into a room where you can create games or join other people's games. You will figure it out. It's really easy!!

By the way, I am a networking novice, and, even I figured this out!! So, it's REALLY easy!! :)

khaos2005
03-06-2002, 04:54 PM
By the way, I am a networking novice, and, even I figured this out!! So, it's REALLY easy!!

You're so modest Max! Even if you are really a novice, you sure are good at explaining the details. :)

Maximus is our Gamespy guru. He's what got me on there, that's for sure!

But yes, it really is simple. Nothing to it, you just have to buy a little bit of hardware. I had mine laying around though, so I lucked out.

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by khaos2005

You're so modest Max! Even if you are really a novice, you sure are good at explaining the details. :)

Maximus is our Gamespy guru. He's what got me on there, that's for sure!

But yes, it really is simple. Nothing to it, you just have to buy a little bit of hardware. I had mine laying around though, so I lucked out.

Hey, thanks for the compliment! :D I actually am a Networking novice. I just learn fast and have learned from a lot of dudes from this website. I give many kudos to our members: Lynxfx, Hugh_Jass, TheMentorsXBox, and last but definately not least: Frostberg. They actually deserve the credit! I just did what they said but, I try to explain it better for people like me can understand the first time around!! :D

No Fear 23
03-06-2002, 05:15 PM
thanks alot max! now i can kick ur ass. (if i can) :D

No Fear 23
03-06-2002, 05:24 PM
1 more question maximus, how much does the CAT 5 cost?:confused:

Xtopia
03-06-2002, 06:00 PM
I ain't max but i can answer your question: For a 15 ft. cat-5 you gonna spend 10 bux....I had to buy an 85 footer so that cost me about 35 smackers!

Xtopia
03-06-2002, 06:02 PM
Hey, I am serious! Max you have posted that same long message to help others get online soo many times! kudos to ya bro!:)

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by irule23
1 more question maximus, how much does the CAT 5 cost?:confused:

hehe...bring it, dude! I remember when I first got on-line that I thought I was a serious bad ass at Halo! Next thing I discovered is that I found my ass in a sling! But, now, after a solid month and a half and almost every day playing Halo while on-line, I can honestly say that I am the bad ass I thought I was when I started :D So, when you get on-line, look me up and I can show you my skillz :D hehe

My Gamespy ID is [XBA]-Maximus

As for the cost of CAT 5 patch cables (make sure you don't get CAT 5 crossovers, they won't work) can cost around $8 - $35 depending on how long you need for them to be. It's worth every single penny!!! Trust me!!!

You should already have one connected from your broadband modem to your computer...so, that is atleast one you don't have to buy. As for having two more, you may already have some or you need to pick them up. :)

l Maximus l
03-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by xtopia
Hey, I am serious! Max you have posted that same long message to help others get online soo many times! kudos to ya bro!:)

Hey, Xtopia! Thanks for the kudos :D By the way, now that you have a router that's all implemented and stuff, can we finally play Halo on Gamespy yet!??!

Xtopia
03-06-2002, 06:16 PM
Dude! I am in tears!! I seriously am almost crying! Last night, I was trying to disable my firewall so I could host on gamespy, and I did it successfully so I plugged in my cat-5 and I was getting ready for some online action! But, as msterrr worned me, I could no longer use the 5th port on my hub for my xbox without doing some other crap...well anyway, as some of you know, my dad works at home (he is a day trader) and uses the four computers to monitor stocks and MUST have internet access....well when i plugged in my xbox...I could no longer log on to the net! I thought it was because of the tinkering I did to remove the firewall--but instead it was just the cat-5...my dad yaked it out...while he was freaking out and said I could no longer hook up my xbox! He'll probably cool off and allow me to get back on soon...but ya never know! My gamespy days could be over! :mad: :eek: I need some seriouls conseling!:eek:

Xtopia
03-06-2002, 06:18 PM
No, but guess what? We can now play your mom over the internet? How does that work? Don't ask me. I just saw the advertisment on bedroom wall yesterday.

Okay, at first I thought you were just weird! But you have probs...all six of your posts have been about someone's mom! What is wrong w/ you! why dont you just leave xba if all you gonna do is be a moron!

techie
03-06-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey xtopia,

All is not lost. Spend a few more dollars and buy a 4-port switch or hub. The switch would be the better way to go but slightly more expensive. You can use the uplink port to connect to another switch or hub, usually port 1. Then you have to remove whichever patch cable is plugged into the port next to the uplink port since these are shared, and plug it into the new switch or hub, in one of the ports 2 through 4. This would leave 2 open ports for the Xbox to use. The reason to use a switch is to guarantee 10/100 connectivity to each port, whereas with a hub you get what you get. Do this and impress your dad with your networking know how.