PDA

View Full Version : Gears Of War2 Details

mattgame
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Gears of War 2 Details Revealed
Look at all that juice!
by Ryan Geddes
April 8, 2008 - With the scheduled release of Gears of War 2 less than eight months away, Epic games and Microsoft are slowly beginning to loosen the information valve on the highly-anticipated sequel, first at the Game Developers Conference in February and now in the most recent issue of Game Informer magazine, which has already reached some subscribers.

A few of those magnanimous folks were kind enough to share their impressions of GI's Gears 2 cover story on the NeoGaf forums today, and we dutifully formed our impressions of their impressions, which we shall impress upon you here.

According to the article, the basic gameplay of Gears will return in the sequel. The familiar sticky cover system will be back but slightly tweaked to make it harder to hit characters hiding behind stone walls, barricades or whatever else litters the battlefield.

Many of the first game's weapons will return, and active reloads will be back with minor (undisclosed) alterations. As many Gears watchers predicted, chainsaw duels will now be part of the experience, and a smattering of new weapons will be included, too. The article specifically mentions poison grenades (oh, the multiplayer possibilities) and something called a Gorgon burst pistol. If it's anywhere near as sweet as the Boltok pistol from the first game, we'll take three.

Much of the piece focuses on Gears of War 2's technical advances, which appear to be plentiful. Gamers who followed Epic's GDC appearance will be familiar with the terms "ambient occlusion" and "soft-body physics." Yes, they'll be included, as will hordes of independently animated on-screen enemies, advanced cinematic lighting and bumped-up water effects, all part of the new newest version of Unreal Engine 3.

The GI article is thin on multiplayer details, but the mag does confirm that a re-imagined version of the Gridlock map from the first game will be back. Co-op play will return and, in keeping with current trends, will allow players to drop-in and out of games dynamically. In a change from Gears of War, the sequel will allow each player to choose different difficulty levels in a co-op game, and those choices will affect each player's experience when the team splits up.

Gears 2 will also add a difficulty level at the low end of the scale that promises to make the sequel even more approachable for casual gamers, but the higher difficulty settings will remain "truly devastating," GI says.

We still don't know much about the sequel's storyline, which Epic promises will be more fleshed-out that its predecessor, which had something to do with Emergence Day, some dudes with guns and emulsion.

Delta Squad is split up when the sequel opens, and at least four new characters will be introduced as the story unfolds. Tai Kaliso is described as a spiritual warrior; Chairman Prescott is Hoffman's dictatorial boss; Dizzy is a Stranded soldier/truck driver; and Maria Santiago is the wife of Marcus Fenix's partner Dom, who embarks on a personal mission to save her in Gears of War 2.

The forced walking scenes that masked load times in the first game have also been replaced with a new system that is apparently more bearable than watching Marcus walk around with his finger in his ear while grunting at the disembodied voice of Anya. She'll play more of a role in the sequel, too, finally getting her face in the action as an image on a video screen.

There's still a lot we don't know about Gears of War 2. Will we fight the Locust Queen? Will the active-reload downing mechanism of the Longshot rifle return? Will multiplayer remain basically the same, or will Epic go for a wildly different setup? So far, CliffyB and crew aren't doling out those details.

The only thing I need to change is the shotgun dominance if you are the host.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
The only thing I need to change is the shotgun dominance if you are the host.

did you see the trailer on xbox.com,http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/g/gearsofwar2/default.htm
its the 3rd one.. Pretty cool what there doing.

But i also hope they change to servers not host, and allow friend invites,clan matches and most importantly if you wanna quit you gotta shut ur xbox off... or allow another gamer to join quickly into a active match.

mattgame
04-08-2008, 04:09 PM
did you see the trailer on xbox.com,http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/g/gearsofwar2/default.htm
its the 3rd one.. Pretty cool what there doing.

But i also hope they change to servers not host, and allow friend invites,clan matches and most importantly if you wanna quit you gotta shut ur xbox off... or allow another gamer to join quickly into a active match.

Agreed. I used to hate gettin raped by that damn shottie!

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Agreed. I used to hate gettin raped by that damn shottie!

i still do ... :mad:

Unreal
04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
They have to make alot of changes before I commit to a second game. If they go back to the original Gears setup and change the way multi works. I might take a look when it comes out.

mattgame
04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
What? Could you please elaborate?

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-10-2008, 06:37 AM
They have to make alot of changes before I commit to a second game. If they go back to the original Gears setup and change the way multi works. I might take a look when it comes out.

I know how you feel, I felt like the game lost a lot when they took out the host, name in the menu, or even when they make it harder to locate people in your area, after they took host name out, my friends and i tried to look for each other by u know rounds,time and board, but after a while you couldn't get local players, i would play with UK before i played with my Budd from Jersey or even in Brooklyn. If one thing from the old one has to come back i hope is an easier way to allow players to play with each other..

I miss the motto that said "play together" :( cause now i cant at least in Gears anyways.

baph7772 posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gears of War is like Halo in that it's a shooter with aliens that is supposed to be the best thing since buttered bread but it isn't, and Gears is like Splinter Cell in that in almost every game on an MS console in which you can see

I hate this fan boys,sooooooo much.

ChessPieceFace
04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
I had a lot of fun with the first one in Co-OP and Multiplayer. It just seemed like when you got close to someone somehow the hit boxes were just off when you fired upon someone.

WillyV2
04-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Sounds cool. I'm not going to go out on a limb now and say it's going to be terrible or spectacular, however I will say I'm looking forward to it either way.

Unreal
04-10-2008, 03:00 PM
What? Could you please elaborate?
People glitching, the new matching system that took away playing with friends, having one weapon on a level and everybody fighting for it to get the achievements. If you took it because you were there, host booting your giving you bad feedback, host advantage got old, roddie running and getting stuck on a box or wall because you were close. Taking the host name out was a big reason alot of guys on my list stopped playing. Hence I had no one to play with so I stopped. BTW, people still stacked the teams without the host name so Epic didnt get anywhere with that change.

Mind you I havent played in forever so things might have been fixed. I can list of alot of stuff. The game was fantastic for the single player and co-op. The original multi was good but after the tweaking started, thats when the glitching, getting kicked, the ablitity to not find friends or play with them started. I like accomplishing stuff (achievements) as much as the next guy but I am at the point now that its getting old not being able to find people to play play games with.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-10-2008, 07:59 PM
People glitching, the new matching system that took away playing with friends, having one weapon on a level and everybody fighting for it to get the achievements. If you took it because you were there, host booting your giving you bad feedback, host advantage got old, roddie running and getting stuck on a box or wall because you were close. Taking the host name out was a big reason alot of guys on my list stopped playing. Hence I had no one to play with so I stopped. BTW, people still stacked the teams without the host name so Epic didnt get anywhere with that change.

Mind you I havent played in forever so things might have been fixed. I can list of alot of stuff. The game was fantastic for the single player and co-op. The original multi was good but after the tweaking started, thats when the glitching, getting kicked, the ablitity to not find friends or play with them started. I like accomplishing stuff (achievements) as much as the next guy but I am at the point now that its getting old not being able to find people to play play games with.

Totaly agree with your post, I have the same problem finding people to play with, but I've kept on playing through the bullsht, and it's gotten a lot better, glitching is harder to pull off now a days, host is still going to be the same unless they change to server which in this point i think, is not going to happen, but gears 2 sounds promising..

mattgame
04-10-2008, 08:17 PM

I gotcha. I hope the ones responsible for the game are listening. All of these sound like valid complaints and suggestions.