PDA

View Full Version : Xbox GamerchiX, an underappreciated resource for female gamers.

SpaceGhost2K
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
To start with, a link:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/personality/trixie/gamerchix/default.htm

I am going to post a number of things that all come RIGHT from this one page, and then I will offer some commentary in a subsequent post. I will, however, mark some parts in bold that I feel are extra-important for EVERYBODY to read (men included).

A trip to the Women's Game Conference in 2005 was the inspiration for starting a group for female gamers that was open to women and girls of any age, any location, any gaming preference, any gaming platform, and any ability. TriXie, PMS Kitty, and DirtyDiva's months of plotting and planning came to fruition in early June 2006 with a single forum post: Looking for Xbox GamerchiX.

That one forum thread generated 54 pages of responses, and a LOT of controversy. It also generated an amazing group of over 4,000 women in 30 countries: Xbox GamerchiX. GamerchiX range in age from four to 75, and enjoy playing a wide range of games.

If you or someone you know would like to meet other women to play games with, send TriXie an email at xlmail@microsoft.com. Subject should be XGX and don't forget your gamertag!

GamerchiX is NOT a clan, but we welcome women from all clans—we've got a bunch of ladies from both PMS and KSI, as well as other clans.

The XGX Manifesto

If you play games (and you're female - SG2K), you're a gamer chick. Whether you're an Xbox Halo 2 champ, play RPGs on the PC, or Mah Jong Tiles on MSN Games, you're a gamer chick.

Xbox GamerchiX don't talk trash about other women. Ever. When women stop hating on each other … we will rule the world!

Xbox GamerchiX support each other.

Xbox GamerchiX are good role models for young gamer girls.

Xbox GamerchiX are not pin-ups. We're all hot in our own unique way, but it's about the games and the companionship, not T&A.

You can be a member of any clan or group, but while you're part of GamerchiX, you don't talk trash about other gamers.

Wanna join Xbox GamerchiX? All you need are two X chromosomes! Send an email to xlmail@microsoft.com with the subject: XGX.

-----

I have met Trixie on a number of occasions. She's one of the funniest people I've met, ever. I've met DirtyDiva also on a number of occasions and find her to be a funny and caring person. I'd only seen PMS Kitty across a crowded room, but got to spend a good amount of time with her (and ALL the MVP's) at this MVP Summit, and I really had my eyes opened to this issue.

Generally speaking, girls get treated like crap on Xbox LIVE. The Xbox people at Microsoft THOUGHT they understood that, until these ladies invited them to play in an open match one night. They were literally mortified at how the girls were being treated (not to mention that a VERY long list was written out of gamertags that were almost immediately banned.)

XGX (Xbox GamerchiX) is a result of that.

SpaceGhost2K
04-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Now, the commentary.

The goal here is simple. There are many females who would likely become gamers of SOME description if they had a place to go, free from the aggression and intimidation of the hardcore gaming masses.

Maybe they want other women to play with or against, of a similar skill level, where they're not subject to trash talking and the innuendo-filled taunts of a more experienced male gaming population.

Maybe they want a place where they can find suitable co-op partners or competition for their kids.

Maybe they just have a question and want an answer from someone who shares their point of view.

Maybe they just want to get into gaming and have no idea where to start.

Now this is something you have to understand. Xbox GamerchiX is NOT a place for newbies with bewbies. There are females over all skill levels and all ages. How "good" they are is not what they have in common. What they have in common, besides the requisite two X chromosomes, is a desire to have a place that is safe, where women and girls can be themselves and encourage each other.

If you're a guy, and if you have a daughter, or a sister, or a girlfriend, or a wife, or a mom, or even a grandma, Xbox GamerchiX is a place where you would feel comfortable if they were a part of it.

---

What makes it different? How is it NOT just a "Girls Rule Boys Drool" forum?

First, you can't just be a girl, or CLAIM to be a girl, stumble into the forums and start posting stuff. You are given access to the forum ONLY when you write an email to Trixie and ask to be added as a member. Every member is added by hand. Every single one. Over four thousand so far.

Second, it is NOT a recruitment center for future Xbox customers. In fact, they make it very clear that while it is INSIDE the Xbox forums, women and girls are welcome to ask questions or discuss games from ANY platform and any type of game. Doesn't matter if it's King's Quest or Kingdom Hearts, Super Mario or Super Shrek Party, Hello Kitty or Halo. It is a place for "female gamers," NOT "female Xbox gamers."

Third, it is NOT a Public Relations, dog-and-pony show for the PMS clan. The members of PMS were so before Xbox GamerchiX was started, there are other clans who have become members, and members who have formed clans. Some of the women in the PMS clan are often called upon to give interviews because they're knowledgable and well-spoken, not because they're "exceptionally beautiful" or "exceptionally skillful" or least of all, "exceptionally brainwashed by Microsoft." They're a cross-section of girl gamers who enjoy playing as a team, and because that IS "out of the norm," they get extra attention because of it.

Fourth, it is NOT for the online players only. It doesn't even matter if the only gaming you do is Bejewelled on your cell phone. If you're a girl and you have fun playing ANY kind of video game, you need to add yourself to this community, and you need to encourage other women you know to join as well. Even if you're not a gamer (let's say that maybe your kids are or maybe they want to be and you have questions), it's a great group to be a part of.

SpaceGhost2K
04-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Four THOUSAND members out of ten MILLION LIVE subs is ridiculous. It should be ten times that. Hell, it should be a HUNDRED times that. This is a seriously underappreciated resourse for females who like games of any kind. Having talked at length to PMS Kitty at the MVP Summit, I am taking it upon myself to add a full ONE THOUSAND MEMBERS to their forum group.

---

Now for the tricky part. I'm going to write a little thing below that I would encourage you to copy-and-paste, and send along to every girl or woman you think could benefit by being a member of these forums as I described them to you:

=====================================================
||
|| There is an online forum called "GamerchiX" that I want to recommend that
|| you join. It's a place for people who like video games, but all the members
|| are either girls or women. There are people there from 4 to 74 years old.
|| Some of them are really good, competitive players and others who like to
|| play games by themselves. Some of them have been playing for a long time
|| and others are just getting into video games.
||
|| There's no cussing, no name calling, no insults, and no super-aggressive
|| gamers to intimidate you. It's a place for anyone who is a (woman/girl)
|| who likes any kind of video games. I thought you might find some friends
|| there or like to have a place to ask questions or learn about new games.
||
|| All you have to do is send an email to this address:
||
|| xlmail@microsoft.com
||
|| Put this in the subject line: "XGX MVPSG2K"
||
|| And then add your name and Gamertag to the body of the email.
||
||========================================================

Now here's the part where I bet you have a question. "Why do I have to put 'MVPSG2K' in the subject line? This is some dumb contest and you get something out of this, don't you." Actually, I knew you'd ask that. :)

I am not doing this for me and I get nothing out of it. The point of putting my name in the subject line is because I want to see what kind of an affect one person can have on the number of members of these forums. Can this thread that I'm sharing with all of you actually result in 1,000 new members to Gamerchix? I dunno. I'll certainly NEVER know without some way of letting XGX know how you heard about their forums. Even if it was from someone who heard it from someone who heard it from someone who heard about it from SG2K, that still goes back to one person's actions making a difference.

Besides putting this in this forum, I'm also going to create bag inserts for the women who work at my four local GameStop stores to pass along to their customers. I know these women well enough to know they're all passionate gamers who will be excited to tell other women about such a place. If every person who gets a flyer tells ten women and only one of them join, that's a 1:1 membership rate, where even one out of ten would be incredible.

----

One last thing, and I'll try to check back into this thread besides all my faceplate stuff... if you want to put YOUR name in the subject line, that's fine. In fact, if a lot more of "Joe" starts showing up than "SG2K," that's a good thing because it will still give everyone a way to see what works and what doesn't, so they can do what works. Right?

Ainokeatoo
04-18-2008, 01:31 AM
In all fairness, The PMS clan's female gamers aren't necessarily the nicest group of wholesome women you'd find on live. I came across a few on a number of occasions back in the days of RS and RSV many were rude and were just like guys. But I agree nonetheless, we need more girl gamers, preferably xbl gamers because >_> well, I only play on my xbox normally.

DozertheDozaria
04-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Excellent post, Ghosty... I'll be sure to pass this on if I have the opportunity.

Kudos,
Dozer

Ry
04-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Great post spacy, I agree with all of you, we NEED more GamerChiX.
Also, Mr. Ed, If that is your real name, I have a Q.

The XGX Manifesto

If you play games (and you're female - SG2K), you're a gamer chick. Whether you're an Xbox Halo 2 champ, play RPGs on the PC, or Mah Jong Tiles on MSN Games, you're a gamer chick.

Xbox GamerchiX don't talk trash about other women. Ever. When women stop hating on each other … we will rule the world!

Does SG2K infact mean SpaceGhost2K and your really a GamerChiX.:p

I will pass the message along, I dont think it will fit in an Live message, but most of the females on my list I have the MySpace/Email anyway.

I have a few questions for you.

Maybe they want other women to play with or against, of a similar skill level, where they're not subject to trash talking and the innuendo-filled taunts of a more experienced male gaming population.

Maybe they want a place where they can find suitable co-op partners or competition for their kids.

Maybe they just have a question and want an answer from someone who shares their point of view.

Maybe they just want to get into gaming and have no idea where to start.

Now this is something you have to understand. Xbox GamerchiX is NOT a place for newbies with bewbies. There are females over all skill levels and all ages. How "good" they are is not what they have in common. What they have in common, besides the requisite two X chromosomes, is a desire to have a place that is safe, where women and girls can be themselves and encourage each other.

What do you mean by start? Do they have a forums at Xbox.com? If not, why dont they start here, If anyone has the time to re-add all the GamerChiX, there could be a forum, that only GamerChix can see. They can talk, set up matches and such much like we do here. I guess thats just my point of view, Im sure EVERYONE at XBA would welcome new members, and GamerChiX, I dont think I could see anyone trash talking or hating on anyone really, Unless Ekz comes back.

BTW Space, I like the video in your sig, It's pretty badass.

SpaceGhost2K
04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
In all fairness, The PMS clan's female gamers aren't necessarily the nicest group of wholesome women you'd find on live. I came across a few on a number of occasions back in the days of RS and RSV many were rude and were just like guys. But I agree nonetheless, we need more girl gamers, preferably xbl gamers because >_> well, I only play on my xbox normally.

You're talking about two different things. Behavior in a game and behavior in a forum are two different things. If you're playing a Mature-rated game over LIVE, there's going to be some trash talking. It's the nature of the beast. BUT... the problem is that a lot of people bring that into the forums, including the official Xbox forums. The GamerchiX forums are intended to be a place where all that crap is left outside. The people who play Call of Duty 4 and the people who play Hexic 2 might NEVER play together, but they CAN be part of a forum community together: recommend games to play and games to stay away from, offer assistance to people who are afraid of online gaming, etc. They even network to hook their kids up so THEY have someone to play with. It's a good way to make sure your kids aren't playing with some pedo.

Great post spacy, I agree with all of you, we NEED more GamerChiX.
Also, Mr. Ed, If that is your real name, I have a Q.

Does SG2K infact mean SpaceGhost2K and your really a GamerChiX.:p

That just means that I added that to clarify the point and that it wasn't in the original post.

I will pass the message along, I dont think it will fit in an Live message, but most of the females on my list I have the MySpace/Email anyway.

Pass it along over email or word of mouth. They certainly want girls who are already gaming over LIVE to join, but I think a bigger goal is getting the women who have concerns about joining LIVE to become members. There are women in there who play GameCubes, Wii's, DS's, PS2's, or cellphone games only and don't even HAVE Xboxes.

I have a few questions for you.

What do you mean by start? Do they have a forums at Xbox.com? If not, why dont they start here, If anyone has the time to re-add all the GamerChiX, there could be a forum, that only GamerChix can see. They can talk, set up matches and such much like we do here. I guess thats just my point of view, Im sure EVERYONE at XBA would welcome new members, and GamerChiX, I dont think I could see anyone trash talking or hating on anyone really, Unless Ekz comes back.

"...have no idea where to start." Would you throw your grandma or seven year old daughter into the Xbox.com forums or even THESE forums? First of all, it's very intimidating to most new gamers (noobs). Add to that what being a girl, being younger, or being older, does to attract the jerks. They might stick there head in there and come out saying, "That's not the place for me and it's CERTAINLY not the place for my daughter or mom." They won't say that about XGX because it's EXACTLY the place for them, their daughters or moms. It's like the difference between Disneyland and the county fair... after dark. Sure, you could GO to the fair.... but you might not ever want to come back.

Also, your perception of "what's okay" in a forum and your mom's perception of what's okay in a forum are probably worlds apart. For the most part, XboxAddict is what I would call PG-13 where places like Teamxbox and Xbox.com are practically R-rated with gusts to X at Teamxbox.

Think of GamerchiX as a movie. It would be a G-rated movie, with everyone from Hanna Montana to Samuel L. Jackson in it. Doesn't matter what SLJ is like in other movies. In THIS one, he's G-rated and you can take your kids to it knowing he's not going to be saying stuff like "Teletubby, m*****f*****, do you speak it?"

Ry
04-18-2008, 12:55 PM
"...have no idea where to start." Would you throw your grandma or seven year old daughter into the Xbox.com forums or even THESE forums? First of all, it's very intimidating to most new gamers (noobs). Add to that what being a girl, being younger, or being older, does to attract the jerks. They might stick there head in there and come out saying, "That's not the place for me and it's CERTAINLY not the place for my daughter or mom." They won't say that about XGX because it's EXACTLY the place for them, their daughters or moms. It's like the difference between Disneyland and the county fair... after dark. Sure, you could GO to the fair.... but you might not ever want to come back.

Also, your perception of "what's okay" in a forum and your mom's perception of what's okay in a forum are probably worlds apart. For the most part, XboxAddict is what I would call PG-13 where places like Teamxbox and Xbox.com are practically R-rated with gusts to X at Teamxbox.

Think of GamerchiX as a movie. It would be a G-rated movie, with everyone from Hanna Montana to Samuel L. Jackson in it. Doesn't matter what SLJ is like in other movies. In THIS one, he's G-rated and you can take your kids to it knowing he's not going to be saying stuff like "Teletubby, m*****f*****, do you speak it?"I gotcha now.

Ainokeatoo
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
You're talking about two different things. Behavior in a game and behavior in a forum are two different things. If you're playing a Mature-rated game over LIVE, there's going to be some trash talking. It's the nature of the beast. BUT... the problem is that a lot of people bring that into the forums, including the official Xbox forums. The GamerchiX forums are intended to be a place where all that crap is left outside. The people who play Call of Duty 4 and the people who play Hexic 2 might NEVER play together, but they CAN be part of a forum community together: recommend games to play and games to stay away from, offer assistance to people who are afraid of online gaming, etc. They even network to hook their kids up so THEY have someone to play with. It's a good way to make sure your kids aren't playing with some pedo.

When I meant acting like guys, I meant the idiots who just sit there and spew nonsense every which way, not just trash talk. Yes girls can be like that as well -_-;; to tell you the truth, I was appalled.

cadetchik
05-13-2008, 05:42 AM
Gamerchick right here, I am a part of Gamerchix

:D

SpaceGhost2K
05-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Gamerchick right here, I am a part of Gamerchix

:D

Awesome. Want to share about any of your experiences there?

Enamelized420
05-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Great Post spacey, we do need more women in the community. I'll be sure to pass the info on to some that I know of. I've been encouraging my fiance to get joined up but she's just not big on forums etc, but I think I'm wearing her down... lol

I'm sure w/ the word getting out you should be able to assist w/ the additional 1000 w/out a problem.....

moltenluv
05-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah I am part of GamerchiX too. I heard about it when it first came to be and registered right away but honestly I don't ever go to the forums. I did at first and posted a little bit but that was it. I dunno maybe I am antisocial?

Anyway I must agree that I have had so many horrible Xbox Live experiences because I was a girl that I actually very very rarely play online anymore and when I do I usually don't even bother to use a headset. The last games I played online (and I mean really played not just casually played to get a few achievements) were Prey and Burnout Revenge. Those were the two experiences that made me stop using a headset and limited my online playing. I was either really good at Prey online or everybody else just sucked but anyway I was majorly kicking some butt when out of nowhere I get this horrible spewing of hateful remarks thrown at me including death threats against me and my family. Seriously it was really bad and kinda scary too. Burnout I was pretty good at (I was in the top 1000) and I kept winning just about every race. Of course I was cheating because no girl can be that good at a racing game. I was called just about every derrogatory name there is and was told I need to go back to playing Barbie games or go back to cooking in the kitchen. I mean seriously people its a freaking video game! I have never met so many sexist as well as racist and predjuiced people in my life! I have been playing video games ever since I can remember and have been a member of Xbox Live since the very beginning. It shouldn't matter that I am a girl, we are all gamers and share a common love of video games and that's all that should matter.

Ainokeatoo
05-31-2008, 09:02 PM
C'mon, it's the internet, I mean, I understand where you're coming from, yeah, those guys are *******s, but really, who cares what they think? I sit there and laugh at dumbasses like that. Don't take what people say over the internet or xbox live, seriously.

moltenluv
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Its not that I am taking what they are saying seriously its just that it gets so old being harrassed. I like to play video games for fun. What fun is it playing online with other people if you feel like you can't even plug in your headset and talk to them? I am not by any means saying that each and every time I attempt to play online it ends badly I am just saying that this kind of behavior stinks and takes away from my gameplay enjoyment and the entire online gaming experience as a whole.

falldowndrunk
06-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Well,guess I should post a serious no jokes post.

When I first posted here under the introduce yourself section,I expected to get bashed.Thats just my personal experience with forums of ALL types.But I've had particularly bad luck with with gamers.In case you haven't read any of my post,I like saying silly or just plain stupid things.Why?I like making people laugh.Not everyone shares my humor,and that's okay.It's when people post things like,"Shut the **** up you ret**d your no one wants to hear your bull****!"I find that uncalled for.I respect everyones opinion,whether I agree with it or not,and don't feel the need for name calling or harrassment if I do disagree with you.

So,I posted here.And,to my complete surprise,people were actually NICE.So,I kept coming back.Made a few jokes.And still,everyone has been absolutley pleasant.I'm still,while I'm typing this,kinda shocked.Not just towards my personal interactions,but everyone seeming to support each other.Thats awesome to me.With what is happening to moltenluv's kitty,on ANY other board I would have gone too,there'd be people being as insensitive and heartless as they could be,just because they are anonymous.But not here,everyone has shown great support and heartfelt stories of their own experiences with their pets.Again,awesome.

Let's shift to the other side of the spectrum for a moment and get kind of more to the gamerchix though:my girlfriend.She's been a gamer all her life,much like me.Playing atari through present day.And,with the introduction of online gaming,it gives her a chance to meet other people too.And,unfortunately,they almost all have been JERKS.Now,she too has been to forums,and seen the same thing I have seen as I posted above.That,combined with the ******* gamers she'd played with,pretty much means she'll never try it.Seriously,I just asked her if she wanted too,and she said no thanks.I think she'd like it,but just bad experience after bad experience means she won't really ever try it.

So,whereas Spacey was saying 4000 out of 1 million subscribers is too low,I sure a lot of females have probably experienced the samething my girlfriend has and just shys away from it.And thats kinda sad,cause not all people(both male AND female) who play games are jerks.

One more thing before I end this probably long and confusing posts: my girlfriend uses my account sometimes because of my gamerscore,and figures she won't get harrassed as much.She still does,and when I check my xbox the next day,it's my messages are filled with so much crap I'm ashamed sometimes to be associated with being a guy.So for all you ladies who get this ****,I feel for you.But,if you can,if anyone asks age/location, have one of your guy friends send a voice message telling his age and location,but have him also add on,"How bout you big boy?"The responses you'll get are hilarious!

Ainokeatoo
06-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Lmao Falldowndrunk, the people on these forums have been here for many years, think of it like, we were teenagers when we first signed up to this forum and slowly matured over the years as we kept coming back. We all love having fun, ****, you should see when we all get together. I know where you're coming from, my girl to is a gamer, I dun let her play online on my xbox because of what *******s do online, but it's okay, she has a Wii that she plays with and has more fun. Our community is a very tight knit one.

Molten I feel for you as well, you shouldn't have to feel that way when you play online.

cin84_12
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Not my kind of place. This is really keeping females separate from the rest of the gaming community. I want to play with quality gamers who challenge my skills not someone because they share the same sex as me. The phrases 'gamer chicks' and 'gamer girl' are counterproductive. I've run into many idiots on Xbox Live, but I've also come across plenty of good people who are impressed that I'm female (those who don't think I'm a 6 year old little boy) and they've told me they wish they could get their girlfriends, sisters, wives, etc. to play with them.

Some of the women in the PMS clan are often called upon to give interviews because they're knowledgable and well-spoken, not because they're "exceptionally beautiful" or "exceptionally skillful" or least of all, "exceptionally brainwashed by Microsoft." They're a cross-section of girl gamers who enjoy playing as a team, and because that IS "out of the norm," they get extra attention because of it

I find that extremely hard to believe. It's stuff like that that turns real female gamers away. The PMS clan is full of 'pretty girls'. Last time I checked, the average male gamer is not that hot.

falldowndrunk
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I find that extremely hard to believe. It's stuff like that that turns real female gamers away. The PMS clan is full of 'pretty girls'. Last time I checked, the average male gamer is not that hot.

QFT,I'm pretty fugly myself!

Ainokeatoo
06-09-2008, 09:42 PM

Hey hey hey, when you observe the average male gamer, don't base it off of laughs or Fargoth... That's not fair, because i'm damn sexy... LMFAO jk jk Blah, that's true, although, PMS clan is full of pretty, beautiful, hormonal women... Not even kidding, one kicked my ass and started laughing about it, so I turn around and beat her and she gets all upset. It's like Wtf?

cin84_12
06-10-2008, 10:02 AM
QFT,I'm pretty fugly myself!

lol, I know right? I look my worst when I game anyway.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/cin84_12/ugh.jpg

Let's take a step forward by taking two steps back I guess. That pic makes my brain hurt.

Ainokeatoo
06-11-2008, 02:09 PM
lol, I know right? I look my worst when I game anyway.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l100/cin84_12/ugh.jpg

Let's take a step forward by taking two steps back I guess. That pic makes my brain hurt.

It makes my eyes hurt, especially in the middle...

cin84_12
06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
lol, yeah but my point is the gaming community and MS specifically try to include females, but turn and interview those things. It all just makes most female gamers roll their eyes and not take any of it to heart.

falldowndrunk
06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
True,it seems MS doesn't seem to realize just because someone doesn't advertise or flaunt it with their Gamertag or motto,it doesn't neccesarily mean your not playing a girl.

Side note,I added someone who was good at Lost Planet on my friends list even though they didn't have a mic.It was cool,we'd text each other back and forth,no big.About a month later,they chat invited me.And,oh my goodness gracious,it was a FEMALE!!!Never had a clue....

The moral is,um,girls play too.Not just dudes.And some are better than me.ermm, okay most are better than me.But I'm still awesome!

Fargoth
06-24-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.gamertonight.net/playvideo.php?mode=full&id=23

Variation-XBA
06-24-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.gamertonight.net/playvideo.php?mode=full&id=23

She has a pink DS like me!

SpaceGhost2K
06-26-2008, 09:16 PM
lol, yeah but my point is the gaming community and MS specifically try to include females, but turn and interview those things. It all just makes most female gamers roll their eyes and not take any of it to heart.

To be fair, the reason they interview "those things", which really isn't very nice to say, is because they go to events, and that garners attention.

I know girl gamers and in most cases those girls aren't interested in making public statements. They have no desire to be "the voice of girl gaming." They're not the type to go to an event with a "clan" (they aren't even IN clans) and be outspoken about girl gaming.

It's kinda like church. The people who willingly step out and make statements very often are nowhere NEAR representative of the whole. That doesn't mean you should avoid being a part of the whole because you don't like the vocal ones. I absolutely hate it that people think church is Oral Roberts, Jerry Fallwall, Jim Bakker, Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart.

The thing is, even if you don't like the people you THINK the PMS clan and the FragDolls represent, SOME of those people are trying very hard to open up gaming to more women and not just be walking photo ops.

cin84_12
06-27-2008, 12:59 PM
To be fair, the reason they interview "those things", which really isn't very nice to say, is because they go to events, and that garners attention.

I know girl gamers and in most cases those girls aren't interested in making public statements. They have no desire to be "the voice of girl gaming." They're not the type to go to an event with a "clan" (they aren't even IN clans) and be outspoken about girl gaming.

It's kinda like church. The people who willingly step out and make statements very often are nowhere NEAR representative of the whole. That doesn't mean you should avoid being a part of the whole because you don't like the vocal ones. I absolutely hate it that people think church is Oral Roberts, Jerry Fallwall, Jim Bakker, Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart.

The thing is, even if you don't like the people you THINK the PMS clan and the FragDolls represent, SOME of those people are trying very hard to open up gaming to more women and not just be walking photo ops.

I'm sure there have been many other females willing to talk about gaming, but have been passed up for those people. They're not opening anything up, but instead are doing the exact opposite. I KNOW exactly what they're doing. MS and the gaming community in general sit and try to say 'hey, they just happen to be hot'. Seriously? Does anyone with more than 2 brain cells actually believe that? The plain fact is that they've picked pretty females who happen to play games. What about the millions of other normal ones who might just have something interesting to say, but they're not pretty enough? That's why this whole thing isn't taken seriously by real female gamers.

Ainokeatoo
06-27-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm sure there have been many other females willing to talk about gaming, but have been passed up for those people. They're not opening anything up, but instead are doing the exact opposite. I KNOW exactly what they're doing. MS and the gaming community in general sit and try to say 'hey, they just happen to be hot'. Seriously? Does anyone with more than 2 brain cells actually believe that? The plain fact is that they've picked pretty females who happen to play games. What about the millions of other normal ones who might just have something interesting to say, but they're not pretty enough? That's why this whole thing isn't taken seriously by real female gamers.

I would have to disagree with some of that, trixie is not easy on the eyes >_> but seriously... I don't think many people really care though, guys play games so do girls. Wait *pause* girls play games to? Cool *unpause keep playing* unless you seriously try to flaunt it online and try to be annoying you're just another person online. Not trying to be rude you know, I dunno.

cin84_12
06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
I would have to disagree with some of that, trixie is not easy on the eyes >_> but seriously... I don't think many people really care though, guys play games so do girls. Wait *pause* girls play games to? Cool *unpause keep playing* unless you seriously try to flaunt it online and try to be annoying you're just another person online. Not trying to be rude you know, I dunno.

Yeah that's what I mean. I don't see the point in making a separate area for female gamers in the first place. I want to play with good players who challenge me, not because they have boobs. Space's mention of the PMS clan just kind of threw me into a rant. Hate those chicks lol.

kilamomjaro
06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
THoughts on all of this:

PMS and Fragdolls are employee's now. They used to just be gamers...now they are paid spokespersons. When they did a panel at PAX last year they didn't sound all that knowledgable...or at least any more than me. :p Both those groups are also VERY hard to talk to. They talk to men but not women...go figure.

I know an Ex PMS gal who just started a new co-ed clan because of that very thing. PMS wouldnt let them be nice to other girl groups! However I know PMS Kitty very well and she's awesome. (It did take awhile to break the ice though.)

I don't see XgX as separating girl gamers from the rest. Its just a place to go when the guys get SO rude or overwhelming you can find a girl to go play with and learn a game before you dive into Matchmaking. GamerChiX is a great place. =]

I know MANY female gamers who are as rude as the men. It's just that there are a lot MORE rude guys than gals. :p

That was a pile of scattered thoughts but thats my brain for ya! :D

LeThAl REMiX
07-09-2008, 12:14 PM
I have only met a female gamer once. She was cool until some guy started making fun of me because I purposely jumped off of a building in CoD4. It was retarted! But other than that I have never played a game with a girl. Actually it would be different than gamng with guys all the time.

David Creech
07-11-2008, 11:58 AM
My best friend is a GamerChix, currently ranked 69 on their leaderboard (http://www.mygamercard.net/chixboard.php?gt=avelena&g=&z=&c=&x=50&y=8) .

I game with a consistent group of gamers (The Pants Party (http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=The+Pants+Party), Avelena (http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=Avelena), dtolley (http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=dtolley), and my son LilCreech x360a (http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=LilCreech+x360a)) and when we do involve other people there is no flak about Avelena being a girl. It helps that she is a good gamer (we played Halo 3 last night, for instance, and she destroyed us) but we also have a policy that we don't play games with people we don't know. Why? Because I have a very low tolerance for people behaving poorly. I liberally use the feedback tools provided by MS, I communicate with the guy who owns the Xbox Live Banhammer (Stephen Tolouse, great guy) and I tell people up front when their behavior is inappropriate.

If someone comes in to a game we are in and says ONE rude comment to anyone in the group, I kick them. Period. I don't give second chances. Guess what? That means that I have also kicked PMS members out, because they are typically among the most rude, most annoying gamers, right after dedicated Halo-only players. I have also kicked my son out of our games for a period of time because of his behavior in the game. I don't make exceptions for anyone.

I have found that like most people, GamerChix don't follow the guidelines set by XBL, much less the extra bit set down as the GamerChix code. The whole "we treat other girl gamers with respect, no matter what" is laughable. Poor sports are poor sports, no matter the gender, and GamerChix are no better in this regard than anyone else.

I have never played with Trixie or DirtyDiva or some other highly visible GamerChix, although I interact socially with five or six of them regularly and I certainly respect the concept of GamerChix. I just feel it is not implemented and enforced very well.

XeroSum
07-22-2008, 02:30 AM

true that lol, but a few peoples attitudes cant speak for the whole batch.

lastliphe
08-07-2008, 06:20 AM
your female and you play games who cares no disrepect but whats the big deal what kind of recognition do you need. its like saying your a girl and you eat mcdonalds my wife plays 360 uno with the web cam and all i dont give a $#!t .
why would any one ask for recognition for performing an activity. you play your a girl thats great sorry if you run into morons that give you a hard time for it. now go make me a sandwich.:watchout::rolleyes:

David Creech
08-13-2008, 06:01 PM
your female and you play games who cares no disrepect but whats the big deal what kind of recognition do you need. its like saying your a girl and you eat mcdonalds my wife plays 360 uno with the web cam and all i dont give a $#!t .
why would any one ask for recognition for performing an activity. you play your a girl thats great sorry if you run into morons that give you a hard time for it. now go make me a sandwich.:watchout::rolleyes:

Dude, seriously, what was your point? Other than to show that you are a sexist idiot who barely grasps English, I am not seeing any message here.

m4oH
12-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Why isolate female gamers as anything but gamers? Female, male, alien, alligator, hamster, r kelly, I don't care what you are, if you play games, you shouuld be classified as a gamer.

TimRell
12-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Correct.

And it is largely females that isolate THEMSELVES in this fashion. They can't let go of their gender war. Even other women see this. I once read an article by a FEMALE gamer that admitted that women label themselves as "GIRL" gamers or "GamerChix" as if they are special or different then wonder why they may get treated differently.

Why is it women can't seem to let go of their fraudulent "women as victims" status and men can't seem to stop allowing them this status?

Women are no more a victim online than say a "black" player that continously gets called out of his name. As a matter of fact the black player's claims of harassment are usually legitimate. While most women just enjoy the attention that comes with victim status.

You don't see black men making an entire group claiming they are victims and espousing some feminist video game group to "combat" racism against blacks. And again FACTS show that blacks experience much more harassment online than any woman.

Ainokeatoo also has a point.

Women talk tons of trash in games and to tell the truth most are quick to claim how they can "beat guys" in games and "look sexy" doing it. Most women I know are always trying to insinuate in some way or another that they are better than a man at something. And the claim that men somehow are making women that way is nonsense as women nag and complain over everything.

They constantly berate themselves for not matching up to their own unrealistic, self-absorbed ideals of what women should be. Women are the biggest consumers so if those unrealistic ideals were something women disagreed with they would not exist. Plain and simple. As a matter of fact women like the feminists will blackball any woman that disagrees with the pseduo-ideology (and outright lie) that women are supposedly victims.

Erin Pizzey (the woman who first opened women's shelters. Google her name men.) wrote that women are just as violent and many times moreso than any man was threatened hundreds of times by OTHER women who were members of these "women first" sexist groups. There is also evidence that feminism was born in the Women's KKK and they used the same tactics they are using now (Women need special protection and special groups, etc) to get men to believe black men were animals. This led to hundreds of innocent black men being hung.

See here:

FEMINISM AND THE WKKK

http://www.dadsnow.org/index3.html

And when women (who always like to be on top or else they cry SEXISM) are proven wrong at times do they take their beating and move on? No, they whine and make groups like Gamerchix, then have the nerve to get mad if a MALE player calls them a "chic"! It's childish behavior to say the least.

Anyone that buys the line that women are victims should realize that it's nonsense. As a matter of fact the reality is sexist "women only" groups (such as GamerChix) are shined upon whereas "men only" groups are labelled as "sexist" and stifling to women. How many MEN only government grants are there in comparison to those made specifically for women?

Read this book and it will explain how women have bamboozled the system into believing they are victims when in all reality women are and have always been "privileged."

THE WOMAN RACKET

Steve Moxon's first book, The Great Immigration Scandal, led to the resignation of the immigration minister, Beverley Hughes. But immigration was never his primary interest: he joined the Home Office in order to study its HR policy, as part of a decade-long investigation of men-women relations. Not withstanding its provocative title, The Woman Racket is a serious scientific investigation into one of the key myths of our age ??? that women are oppressed by the 'patriarchal' traditions of Western societies. Drawing on the latest developments in evolutionary psychology, Moxon finds that the opposite is true ??? men, or at least the majority of ordinary males ??? have always been the victims of deep-rooted prejudice. As the prejudice is biologically derived, it is unconscious and can only be uncovered with the tools of scientific psychology.The book reveals this prejudice in fields as diverse as healthcare, employment, family policy and politics.

http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Racket-Science-Explaining-Playand/dp/1845401093

rezzurekted
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Why isolate female gamers as anything but gamers? Female, male, alien, alligator, hamster, r kelly, I don't care what you are, if you play games, you shouuld be classified as a gamer.

ROFL R Kelly:rofl:

Women talk tons of trash in games and to tell the truth most are quick to claim how they can "beat guys" in games and "look sexy" doing it. Most women I know are always trying to insinuate in some way or another that they are better than a man at something. And the claim that men somehow are making women that way is nonsense as women nag and complain over everything.

i totaly agree! I have this friends whos wife is constantly says to me "Rezz im a better gamer than you are and im a girl my game score is more than yours blah blah blah blah im a girl blah blah blah blah you being beat by a girl blah blah blah baljasjfoashfohwa9f"

And this really pisses me off because he husband has even told me that half her gamer points ie points fromt the likes of GEARS, CoD , Halo , Colin McRae Dirt , Amry Of Two he has done for her the game she has got points off are the likes of Cars, Simpsons game (press start easiest 5g ever!!!) Viva seris, Stupid arcade games like that root beer sh*t etc and this really does piss me off as she cant play proper games and get the points herself, Now im not saying that every "gamerchic" is like this or **** are real games but i mean come on gettin your husband to get the points for you and then deny it just to p*ss me off is a bit retarded! she needs to grow up as she is 27 now, This is a women i beat on NSF Carbon whilest driving with my chin ( i used my chin to steer the anologue lol) and i beat her by at least 25-30 seconds aswell! and she claims so can beat me on anything because she has a better gamerscore than me! ITS F*CKIN PATHETIC IF YOU ASK ME!

rant over lol its been months in the making as you can tell:mad::hardcore::mad: