PDA

View Full Version : Download activity Kind of low...

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-18-2008, 01:08 PM
First off sorry if this thread doesn't belong here, but you know lately i don’t feel like a lot of developers are utilizing a lot of the download capabilities of the xbox live feature.. So far i see Rock band being the only true dedicated group to actually make great use of a download option. Guitar hero 3 had a good thing going for them for a while but now they stopped.
Now lets look back i think, maybe 5 out of 15 games we buy really have extra stuff to download, Maybe it's just a down time for them, but how about like mass effect did that one extra mission pack, okay that was how long since the game was out.
now before you guys kill me and say well it takes a while to develop a mission i know this fact.. but maybe developers should be more advanced in dropping missions and maps and things of those nature. Most players now a days have ADD lol no offence im one of them if the online multiplayer has no replay value after im done, with the game within a weeks time ill just know if i like it or not enough to keep playing online, then after that im trading it. I did that with Saints Row then they started dropping missions like crazy, I did that with halo 3 cause the maps where horrible,(in my eyes anyways, before Not green starts too cry lol jk not green) and of course it might just be me that feels this way, your more than welcome to tell me otherwise guys.( as long as its constructive criticism)
:cheers:

Variation-XBA
04-19-2008, 06:01 PM
To be fair, doing Rock Band songs doesn't take nearly the development time, effort, or money compared to a new map pack for so and so game, which is why they are much more frequent.

Too much DLC and people will complain why it wasn't included on the disc.

Too little DLC and people wonder why they arn't getting more stuff. Lose/Lose.

Steeps5
04-19-2008, 06:59 PM
well i think halo 3 and call of duty 4 are using it quite well, halo 3 has so many videos and things you wont know what to do with, it also has the two map packs

call of duty 4 has tons of gamer pictures and themes along with the map pack

mass effect is going to get a lot down the road since they have made plans for expansions to the game

you should also see need for speed: prostreet, tons of cars to download along with performance packages

Ainokeatoo
04-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Too much DLC and people will complain why it wasn't included on the disc.

You would think that... Until you make a japanese account and go to their "Idolm@ster" game downloads and you'll find at least, at least, 150 downloads, and a majority of that are actually game add-ons o.o along with more.

Variation-XBA
04-20-2008, 12:06 AM
You would think that... Until you make a japanese account and go to their "Idolm@ster" game downloads and you'll find at least, at least, 150 downloads, and a majority of that are actually game add-ons o.o along with more.

Yea, but of all the 10 people in Japan that have a 360, their complaints fall on deaf ears. It could be free games and DLC and people still wouldn't own them.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Damn the crowd is super fickle, when it comes to DLC, I cant really imagine someone getting upset for too much DLC toward a game, because the best part of being on live and having a xbox it's how easy you can download expansion missions,maps, and songs for (guitar hero or rockband), well rockband anyways. :watchout: Well i just hope to see more down loadable content for Guitar hero 3.

WillyV2
04-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Damn the crowd is super fickle, when it comes to DLC, I cant really imagine someone getting upset for too much DLC toward a game, because the best part of being on live and having a xbox it's how easy you can download expansion missions,maps, and songs for (guitar hero or rockband), well rockband anyways. :watchout: Well i just hope to see more down loadable content for Guitar hero 3.

Honestly I have nothing against lots of DLC, but I don't want to pay for every single thing that comes out. I mean sure, I have the money to pay for it, but if developers were releasing handfulls of DLC all the time for their games, I'm not going to pay for it.

That's just me though. Obviously, others are going to have a very different opinion.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Honestly I have nothing against lots of DLC, but I don't want to pay for every single thing that comes out. I mean sure, I have the money to pay for it, but if developers were releasing handfulls of DLC all the time for their games, I'm not going to pay for it.

That's just me though. Obviously, others are going to have a very different opinion.

I dont mind it, but i can see your point.

CrazyCougar
04-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Ace Combat 6 is a prime example of over doing the DLC I think. New planes constantly at 200 MSP each. Free ones mixed in here and there is good though. They also have co-op missions and new online modes for premium DLC. Not sure if I agree with that though.

WillyV2
04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Ace Combat 6 is a prime example of over doing the DLC I think. New planes constantly at 200 MSP each. Free ones mixed in here and there is good though. They also have co-op missions and new online modes for premium DLC. Not sure if I agree with that though.

That's what I mean, constantly paying for little amounts of content. I mean sure, it's only a couple of dollars but you get my drift, I hope.

DozertheDozaria
04-21-2008, 09:00 AM
Yeah I get your drift, Willy; and I agree with you. I don't mind paying for a mission with new content. However, in the case of something like AC6, alot of what you're getting isn't even new planes. It's just new 'skinz' for the planes that are already there.

When a game maker creates DLC at the same time that they create the game, people do wonder why it wasn't just included with the game. Personally, I get it. I understand that something has to perpetuate this whole big gaming cycle and DLC is just another way to help that. But really, they don't make that much off of the DLC after M$ gets their share. Not compared to the actual game sales.

And that's a big part of what determines whether or not a game gets the DLC that may or may not have been planned for it. If a game doesn't sell well, why would a developer waste $$$ to create content that no one is going to pay for? A good example was Overlord. The game was pretty good, from what I hear. It reviewed well. The multiplayer was only so-so and the game sales were only modest. But they released a great bit of DLC. Guess who bought it? No one. No disks in the 360 means no one buys your DLC. Which means next time, it doesn't get made until the game sells enough to make creating the DLC worthwhile. They are all still in business to make money, afterall.

So... All that being said, I'll pay for DLC as I need to. My theory on DLC is if I don't have the game, I don't care whether it has DLC or not. Just my 2 cents on the issue...

Later,
Dozer

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
excuse my double post my, computer lagged... :(

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
04-21-2008, 09:13 PM
When a game maker creates DLC at the same time that they create the game, people do wonder why it wasn't just included with the game. Personally, I get it. I understand that something has to perpetuate this whole big gaming cycle and DLC is just another way to help that. But really, they don't make that much off of the DLC after M$ gets their share. Not compared to the actual game sales.

And that's a big part of what determines whether or not a game gets the DLC that may or may not have been planned for it. If a game doesn't sell well, why would a developer waste $$$ to create content that no one is going to pay for? A good example was Overlord.

That particular games downfall, was it wasn't a popular game, like you said reviewed well, but the sails where not there, thats dumb on the developers part to create more content knowing that game failed in sales, they should of included those downloads they put out already in the game to develop a harder name for the game. However games like guitar hero, mass effect, etc.. I believe this games can be kept alive by creating more downloads,look at halo has a strong fan following which dl every map they can get same with Gears, Honestly the only games I have a problem with in my library are guitar hero 3 and Rock band i know Rock band puts songs out every Tuesday but the songs they put out are kind of lame..., Guitar Hero aims high with there artist/songs but they put out only a few DLC and after a while limits you, ..