PDA

View Full Version : Blue-Ray comming to 360

Ry
05-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Pegatron Technology, an OEM subsidiary of Asustek Computer, has secured orders from Microsoft to assemble Xbox 360 consoles equipped with a Blu-ray Disc (BD)-ROM drive, with shipments to begin in the third quarter of 2008, according to the Chinese-language Economic Daily News (EDN) newspaper.

Source (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20080502PB200.html)

thAshAdyOne
05-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Price going up? or are they just going to use the money that MS is just now making off of the Xbox?

CrazyCougar
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
And the need for Blu-Ray?????????? Unnecessary in my opinion.

ChessPieceFace
05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
I think they are just throwing us a bone. I really believe the future will be download content, the next Xbox will be a media hub of sorts.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
05-06-2008, 01:25 PM
I think they are just throwing us a bone. I really believe the future will be download content, the next Xbox will be a media hub of sorts.

that would be awesome, !! :D

SamSmith
05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
It's the accepted HD format of choice, the 360 has no choice other than to opt for what consumers have chosen.

This is only good news, it opens the 360 up to a wider audience - and whether or not you're a bluray fan, the 360 will see a new userbase open up - new publishers attracted to the format... good news for all of us.

wicked_d365
05-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Everything I have read and heard is that it is going to be a stand alone drive, like the HD drive. No games will be made on the Blu-Ray disk. G4 announced yesterday that a Chinese company has gotten the contract to make the drives for Microsoft.
I personally think it's cool, but I still think I'm gonna buy a PS3. You cant beat a Blu-Ray and a game system for 400 at all. I still love my elite though, she's so pretty.

mattgame
05-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Everything I have read and heard is that it is going to be a stand alone drive, like the HD drive. No games will be made on the Blu-Ray disk. G4 announced yesterday that a Chinese company has gotten the contract to make the drives for Microsoft.
I personally think it's cool, but I still think I'm gonna buy a PS3. You cant beat a Blu-Ray and a game system for 400 at all. I still love my elite though, she's so pretty.

My sentiments exactly. Send me a friends request.:cheers:

HaZarD SFD
05-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Nice Large 1000G HDD and totally customizeable GUI dashboard and sounds. Internet capable to game developers websites and movie downloads. (cant just randomly scan the net as viruses will have a new target to go after. As peoples credit cards are on their Xbox's)

Steeps5
05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
This is a good thing, blu-ray discs currently have up to 50 GB of memory with dual layer. I read somewhere that they may soon have 4 layer discs with 100 GB of memory for a game. That means huge games with amazing detail.

CrazyCougar
05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Your credit card info is not on your 360. Its on Microsoft's servers. What is on your 360 is your Windows ID information.

wicked_d365
05-08-2008, 08:19 AM
This is a good thing, blu-ray discs currently have up to 50 GB of memory with dual layer. I read somewhere that they may soon have 4 layer discs with 100 GB of memory for a game. That means huge games with amazing detail.

Blu ray is bad ass. If you havn't gotton to sit and watch a movie in Blu-Ray, DO IT! Then go back and watch that same movie, on dvd, it sucks.
Blu-Ray do hold a ton of info, but I have been hearing that the new Metal Gear is so big, it won't fit on Blu-Ray.

BROOKLYNSBATMAN
05-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Blu ray is bad ass. If you havn't gotton to sit and watch a movie in Blu-Ray, DO IT! Then go back and watch that same movie, on dvd, it sucks.
Blu-Ray do hold a ton of info, but I have been hearing that the new Metal Gear is so big, it won't fit on Blu-Ray.

I cant see the diffrence and i have a plasma flat screen with all the trimming and a jvc blue ray valued at 450 with boss surround sound i see no diffrence from a hd dvd to a blue ray or hear any for that matter.

CrazyCougar
05-08-2008, 02:31 PM
You are going to have those that insist they see a difference between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and those that say blah. I am one of those folks that say, I dont need Blu-Ray nor the price that goes with it for movies and players. Now I will admit there is a difference between standard DVD and but it still isnt worth the money you shell out.

On the argument of the amount of content on Blu_ray. Sure there is a lot more information but again, I have no qualms about having multi-disk games. I have no need for Blu-Ray. You will not see games being developed on Blu-Ray anytime soon even if MS decides to build in the Blu-Ray drive.

LINKINPARK8591
05-08-2008, 02:40 PM
i one of the ones that doesn't care.

SamSmith
05-08-2008, 04:03 PM

No games are going to have anything near 50 GB of content. And to the guy who said MGS 4 won't even fit on a BluRay disc is very very very misinformed.

The latest Flight Simulator, which installs on your computer with 4 DvD's, and includes the whole world in insane detail - has just 7 GB of content.

And while I still agree, Bluray is a necessary addition to the console - I doubt I'll ever buy a Bluray movie.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/2185/blurayfinalbigki0.jpg

wicked_d365
05-08-2008, 05:34 PM
No games are going to have anything near 50 GB of content. And to the guy who said MGS 4 won't even fit on a BluRay disc is very very very misinformed.

That came straight from Konami, their tring to work down the size of it now.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26269528&sid=6187095

Enamelized420
05-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Well I'm sure if they put it into the console M$ will probably throw some kinda price tag with it... I think it would be better as an add-on drive as they did w/ HD-DVD. guess we'll have to wait and see what they do

CrazyCougar
05-09-2008, 01:34 PM
MGS is not fitting onto a Blu-Ray. That is correct, but the game content has nothing to do with that. Its all the extra content and I believe the translation of Japanese and English that end up putting the content size over limits.

The game itself would fit onto a standard dual layer DVD. So dont let folks fool you when they say the game is too big for Blu-Ray. Its not.

Variation-XBA
05-10-2008, 02:59 AM
Also keep in mind, Sony likes to keep things uncompressed to also tout the need for BR, when onyl 3 games for 360 have had more than one disc (which isn't even an issue imo).

It won't be a BR 360 if it happens, but a movie addon if anything imo.

WillyV2
05-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't even care, to be honest. Hell, I watch tons of movies on just regular DVD's, not HD-DVD's and it doesn't bother me. To me, if I want to watch a movie, either or is fine for me, so I'll take the cheaper DVD, thanks. I don't really care about a quality difference. This is partially because I'm a University student, which should spell it out for some people.

When I'm out of school and have some extra money to throw around sure, I'll go with the best out there.

Blue Ray coming to 360... Meh, at best.

Nerrad529
05-11-2008, 12:35 AM
this is good news blu ray is killer

CrackinBacks
06-02-2008, 11:00 PM

If it's a stand alone drive, you won't have games on Blu-Ray disc. It will be for MOVIES ONLY. I seriously doubt, M$ is going to make a new console with the Blu-Ray drive in it.

Variation-XBA
06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
If it's a stand alone drive, you won't have games on Blu-Ray disc. It will be for MOVIES ONLY. I seriously doubt, M$ is going to make a new console with the Blu-Ray drive in it.

They wont. I dont see the addon happening for movies either, but you never know.