PDA

View Full Version : Sony Goes Online in August, XBOX sometime this year?

brandontyler
03-07-2002, 08:17 AM
Looks like Sony is going online sometime in August. The article mentions "network adapter for $39.99" but fails to mention the cost of the hard drive. Of other interest they are teaming up with Earthlink and SBC broadband and provide you with setup disks. Funny how they don't include MSN Broadband!

MSN Money News Link (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Symbol=US:ELNK&Feed=RTR&Date=20020307&ID=1473265)

Full Story:

UPDATE 1-Sony to launch PlayStation 2 online game service
March 07, 2002 08:52:00 AM ET

(Adds details, background, previous FOSTER CITY, Calif.)

LOS ANGELES, March 7 (Reuters) - Sony Corp. on Thursday took its next strategic step in the U.S. video game market, saying it will launch online services for its market-leading PlayStation 2 in August.

Analysts had expected Sony to launch the online service, a long-time goal for the company since the $299 PS2 launched in Nov. 2000. Sony said it will begin testing the games this month.

The PlayStation 2 does not have built-in network capabilities but does have other high-speed expansion ports. The company said it will begin selling a network adapter for $39.99. in August.

That adapter will have ports for both a dial-up modem and a broadband connection, allowing both low- and high-speed access. Sony did not say if the adapter will plug into one of the PS2's two USB ports, or if it will slide into a larger port on the back that can also accommodate a hard drive.

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) launched its new Xbox console in November with a built-in Ethernet port and the software giant has said it would begin to roll out online services this year.

The adapter bundle will come with a start-up disk pre-configured for a number of major ISPs, including EarthLink Inc. (ELNK) and SBC Communications Inc. (SBC), though Sony said any ISP can be used with the service.

The only console online gaming service currently offered in the U.S. is one for Sega Corp.'s now-discontinued Dreamcast console. The Dreamcast had a dial-up modem built in; a broadband adapter released later was largely unsuccessful.

With Sony's announcement, the only major console in the U.S. market without any online options is Nintendo Co. Ltd's GameCube. The $199 GameCube, released in November, has no built-in access ports, and Nintendo has said little about its online plans. REUTERS

wweomaniac
03-07-2002, 03:35 PM
Well, XBOX is suppose to come out in the summer. I hope PS2 fails miserably and they go bankrupt leaving XBOX to be the victor.

I can't wait till XBOX broadband coems out, b/c im tired of the lag in gamespy. I hope sony goes through a lot of problems witht heir broadband. the price is already set too high.

xboxmaster2002
03-07-2002, 03:43 PM
wasnt xbox supposed to go online within 6 months of launch...? that would mean at the most april 15th...

l Maximus l
03-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Late Spring or early Summer is when Microsoft will launch the on-line forum. The XBox has BROADBAND built in...it won't cost us anything regarding an add-on to get us XBox consumers on-line! Sony will fail trying to milk every Sony Consumer's wallets...just wait an see. Not only that, but, Sony can only provide NARROWBAND, which is a far cry from Broadband that the XBox has! ;)

Snoopy7548
03-07-2002, 05:09 PM
i wouldnt worry too much about it, sonys online will fail just like the 64DD, cause most addons fail. they dont wanna pay extra for an adapter when they can get it free in the xbox, also, i think that the ps2 supports 56k, which will not go well with online gaming at all, it should be broadband only.

Kooster
03-07-2002, 05:09 PM
Yep. I wonder why it didnt say anything about a hard drive. Why do you need one to play online?

mahalan
03-07-2002, 05:24 PM
SBC Broadband??? LOL. Sony's picked a winner of a partner there. SBC supplies my business DSL. They wipe out my configuration in their router about every 3 months. It then takes me 4 days on the phone with them (about 12-14 hours per day) to convince them of what's needed to fix the configuration problem. Those PS2 owners are going to love their broadband connection!

l Maximus l
03-07-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by mahalan
SBC Broadband??? LOL. Sony's picked a winner of a partner there. SBC supplies my business DSL. They wipe out my configuration in their router about every 3 months. It then takes me 4 days on the phone with them (about 12-14 hours per day) to convince them of what's needed to fix the configuration problem. Those PS2 owners are going to love their broadband connection!

Well, for one, Sony won't have broadband...but, will have narrowband...which hugs nutz. And, yes, I agree, SBC has some serious issue. I'm a Telecommunications, Data Communications, and IP consultant and I know from the inside that SBC has some serious issues!

Afro Aura
03-07-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by wwfomaniac
Well, XBOX is suppose to come out in the summer. I hope PS2 fails miserably and they go bankrupt leaving XBOX to be the victor.
well who know mate it may happen they haven't got "Unreal Championship" and of couse the one and only "Halo" which isn't even an online game