PDA

View Full Version : And Sony knocked xbox for being a pc....

Highlite23
03-07-2002, 10:41 AM
US PS2 Linux kit now available
Musashi | 7:19 | Console

All you budding game-developers take note. SCEA has announced that its PS2 Linux kit is now available for pre-order at SCEA's site. For a scant $199, you will recieve the following goodies:
Linux (for PlayStation 2) version 1.0 software
Monitor Cable Adaptor (for PlayStation 2)
Internal Hard Disc Drive (40 GB) (for PlayStation 2)
Network Adaptor (Ethernet) (for PlayStation 2)[10/100 Base-T]
USB Keyboard & USB Mouse (for PlayStation 2)
It should be noted that the hard drive included with this kit is NOT compatible with any future PS2 games that utilize a hard-drive. The drive is formatted specifically for the Linux operating system, and SCEA stresses that it won't work any other way. I'm sure some enterprising haX0r will find a way to override that sooner or later, though.
Here's what the site has to say about the kit:

Combining the incredible technology of the PLAYSTATION 2 computer entertainment system with the endlessly versatile Linux operating system, Linux enthusiasts and programmers can now use the same system they play their favorite PlayStation games on to run thousands of Linux applications! LINUX (FOR PLAYSTATION 2) allows you to utilize the PlayStation 2 console as a fully-functional desktop computer. Download a wealth of Linux programs -- HTML editors, multimedia players, programming environments, office solutions and more -- and open a new world with the power of the next generation in computer entertainment.
There's also a helpful PS2 Linux FAQ for those who want to know more about the kit and it's capabilities (and limitations).

RudedogX
03-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Two things...
1.) Do PS2 owners have to have the harddrive first? Bwahahahahaha!:eek:

2.) Shouldn't this be in the debate forum? Who cares about the PS2's dumb decisions?

Mercury
03-07-2002, 10:45 AM
Linux is a piece of junk anyway. Let them have it and play with it. It will be their waste of time anyway.

Batman2372
03-07-2002, 10:50 AM
I spend about 90% of my time writing for Linux. It doesn't have all the nasty "rules" of Windows, is tons more secure, and is less buggy overall.

Can you imagine? With this Linux kit, people like you and me can now MAKE THEIR OWN GAMES. Study up a bit, and you can do that to. That's the ONE thing I dispise about Microsoft.... they stifle innovation by anyone not directly under their wing.

Their Xbox, however ROCKS!!!!!

MadDawg276
03-07-2002, 10:52 AM
Wow ps2 is a $500 compter. That's increda ***

redrum237
03-07-2002, 01:56 PM
i can make my own games with windows. i have microsoft visual c++ and microsoft visual basic, which i use to make games to let people download off my webpage.

EthanQT
03-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by redrum237
i can make my own games with windows. i have microsoft visual c++ and microsoft visual basic, which i use to make games to let people download off my webpage.

I dont see your homepage in your profile. I wanna try the games you created. Thanks!

mahalan
03-07-2002, 02:23 PM
Another worthless product hits the market.

Most PS2 owners wouldn't know what to do with Linux. Those that would already have it installed on one or more PCs. They don't need to spend the dough to turn their console into a 3rd rate workstation.

As far as writing my own console games, I'll leave that to the professionals. My time's too valuable to spend hundreds of hours creating a third rate game when I can plunk down $50 for a thoroughly tested game with phenomenal graphics, Dolby Digital sound, and a game engine I don't know inside out.

Batman2372
03-07-2002, 02:27 PM
Sure, it may be a waste of time for you, but there are plenty of Linux geeks that would get it JUST FOR THE SAKE OF SAYING THEY CAN...

I know I don't necessarily have the time to mess with it, but there are enough people out there that are that this is viable, at least to them. Sony isn't making a buttload of these, anyway.

wweomaniac
03-07-2002, 03:31 PM
Seriously... whats up with that? is it because of XBOX's growing success that PS2 is trying to copy the XBOX??

PS2 is a good system, but it shouldnt be bashing XBOX, then copying it after. geez

l Maximus l
03-07-2002, 03:39 PM
For one, I don't know a soul that owns a PoS2 that would even care about having this add-on. But, yes, there will be an interest among *some* PoS2 owners, but, not nearly enough, in my opinion, would even care to own such an add-on.

Personally, I'm not a PC gamer...though, I have games on my PC that I mess around with once in a while. When I think of a PC, I think of it as a Word Processor and a gateway to the cyber world via the World Wide Web. Not a thousand dollar video game console. But, that's just me...I'm not putting anyone down. I just have different uses for my PCs (I have two).

But, think about this for a moment: NONE OF THE POS2 GAMES ARE PROGRAMMED TO RECOGNIZE A HARD-DRIVE! I mean, even if they add a hard drive, none of the older games, or even many of the games coming out have the capability of using the hard-drive if they wanted to! Personally, I think Sony is dreaming outside of their abilities.

darianX
03-07-2002, 04:39 PM
there are plenty of Linux geeks that would get it JUST FOR THE SAKE OF SAYING THEY CAN...

This is true. Wait till they realize you can't do anything else with it. You may be able to write some code for some little stupid game that only the owner of the kit can play, but that's about it. My guess is that most people who buy it will either return it or simply let it collect dust.

I really hope that these folks realize that a cheap computer with way more power than the PS2 can be bought for the same or less price, once you add up the console cost and kit cost. I say let the little pasty linux geeks have their little kit, dreaming of utilizing the HDD for games, while we in the Xbox camp already enjoy the benefits of using a HDD in the console properly.

Batman2372
03-07-2002, 05:29 PM
The linux geeks aren't just wanting it so they can make their own games....

These are the same guys that hacked into a Dreamcast and made it able to play NES ROMs... they're just messing with it and wanting to try something different coding-wise.

If anything, yall that are knocking it ought to be thrilled... now they have a PS2 to mess with, and an Xbox to game with....

Bashing those that think this might be a cool thing isn't any brighter than bashing someone because they have a Gamecube.... to each their own.

Hugh_Jass
03-07-2002, 06:27 PM
I run a Linux box at my house. It's my MP3 server. Linux allows me to put an old Pentium 200 MMX box to use. In fact, it used to act as my firewall, web server, email server, AND MP3 server before @HOME bit the big one.

Linux has its uses but I don't see an application in this case. It makes a lot more sense to buy/build a $300-$500 PC than it does to use a PS2 as your Linux box. For one thing the PS2 isn't anywhere near as expandable as a standard PC. And how much RAM does the PS2 have? 32M? Now Linux is efficient but I wouldn't want a development box with only 32M of RAM on it.

This is just a bad idea. Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

mahalan
03-07-2002, 06:40 PM
I agree completely. Let's face it, Linux isn't your most user-friendly operating system in the world. The people who might buy this add-on isn't your typical gamer. They're the ones who have a home network with a couple Linux boxes already.

What does this little add-on buy them? The crappiest Linux box in their house. I'm not saying this as a knock on the PS2. It just wasn't built to be a PC.

It's the equivalent of a PC add-on that can read Xbox games. I don't want my computer chugging along while I play Halo at 1/10 the normal speed because it wasn't built to handle the graphics and poll the gameport often enough.