PDA

View Full Version : Need to know if this hub setup will work (pic inside)

Punkbob
03-07-2002, 06:40 PM
My home network has 2 computers on this hub. I'm upstairs and the hub is downstairs. So I'm gonna run a CAT 5 cable upstairs to my XBox. So I need to know if all I have to do is use that free port.

http://berrakagi.homestead.com/files/images/other/hub.jpg

Thanks.

dougi3000
03-07-2002, 06:48 PM
Your xbox will work fine with that setup.

BUT, if you are behind a router or firewall, you MAY not be able to create games in gamespy, but you sure can join them.

ShannonX
03-07-2002, 06:51 PM
i had troubles using my router playing online. I used a hub and it worked perfect. The router was configured properly, had the correct ports open, etc... But i had terrible ping time, huge packet loss, etc... Never had that problem using the hub though. So i dunno.

l Maximus l
03-07-2002, 06:53 PM
Yep! That will work. Just download the free software - Gamespy Arcade Software and Gamespy Tunnel Software (if you haven't already).

If you want to create a game on Gamespy and if you have a firewall, you can simply disable the firewall by going to your internet options on your computer. If you have XP, it's on the Advanced Tab :)

But, I do want to mention this just in case you receive too much packet loss: You might have to unplug one of your computers (the one without the Gamespy software, of course) from the router while you are playing on your XBox. Because, if it's hooked up, you may endure too much packet loss because of the extra hardware might be interupting the IP packet flow. Just a precaution. :)

Msterrrr
03-07-2002, 07:22 PM
and of course measure how long of a cat5 cable you will need :cool: :cool:

looking again that red cable is that hooked into the uplink port?
if it is i dont think you can use it at the same time ,,,they are linked inside the hub

if thats the case just switch cables back there put the PC thats not in use directly next to the uplink port,, you will have to switch these back and forth

Punkbob
03-07-2002, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the replys.

About the cable length. I don't have to worry about it cause my dad is a higer up at his company and we get free DSL. He's gonna have a guy from his work run the cable for me, hehe.