PDA

View Full Version : Miscrosoft's Broadband Conn.

Jay
03-07-2002, 06:49 PM
Right now I don't have a broadband connection, does anyone know if microsoft is coming out with their own? Please I would really like to know!

l Maximus l
03-07-2002, 06:51 PM
It's called MSN Broadband ("Micro" "Soft" "Network")... :)

JADE8704
03-07-2002, 07:05 PM
so does this mean that after microsoft has its own broadband, we won't need to use gamespy anymore?

Msterrrr
03-07-2002, 07:16 PM
thats right jade

Mercury
03-07-2002, 07:20 PM
Yes, but us Canadians will be out of luck since they don't have any plans to providing it to Canada.

rickey939
03-07-2002, 07:30 PM
I cannot wait for this capability....it better not cost all that much though!

The Terminator
03-07-2002, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure, but I think that MS DSL doesn't even match the incredibly high modem requirements for Halo. 128k upload is the bare minimum, 256k upload is the recommended.

Hugh_Jass
03-07-2002, 09:23 PM
I assume that MS has a higher efficiency scheme that does not require 256K upload speeds.

GRAVEDIGGER
03-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Hopefully they wont require 256 as a recomended speed, because that alone just wont even suffice. But we all know that good ol' B. GATES always has a plan, so just chill and stay cool, he'll know what to hook us up with:cool:

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad:

Frostberg
03-07-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by The Terminator
I'm not sure, but I think that MS DSL doesn't even match the incredibly high modem requirements for Halo. 128k upload is the bare minimum, 256k upload is the recommended.

I hope we all dont forget some things...Your phone lines are more or less owned by the phone company...DSL uses this wire...other companies like MS or DirectTV DSL and such dont own them, they just use the same network your local phone company is, but you pay them and they pay the phone company a fee...heres an example for you silly guys who cant follow things easily...
My local phone company is Bellsouth...If I were to get MS Broadband they would just activate my line by calling Bellsouth themself, send me a DSL modem slapped on with an MSN sticker or something, and I would pay them so much a month, and they would pay Bellsouth a very reduced rate...Its not much more then that...except when we add that your local pone company isint going anything much either...because you are just connecting to a larger ISP, I connect to UUNET...which is actually owned by MCI...yeah its pretty odd and confusing...
So bottom line is that basically every company offering ADSL will be the same...however some DSL companies try to trick you by having a cheaper price than your local phone company...but the speeds are slower because to save money they dont lease you as much bandwidth...they also dont really tell you that...Shall I say MSN Broadband is a scam...nahh It just is MS making money by being a middleman...

And to add Hugh Jass who is completley right...I have said this a long time ago and its still true...Halo didnt have really any compression...why would it? System link play operates at up to 100MBps...there wasnt really a point in wasting money to try to figure how to compress the files being sent to xboxes, because they didnt figure someone would make a hack to get it online...now you can also be sure Halo 2 will have some pretty big online games...Ill go with 32+...same as a online computer game...the only major problem I can see if if someone who doesnt have a really good connection plays with 4 people on his box and it could lag up the game...but hopefully with all the money MS will get for their servers, they can get some pretty fast ones! Ill take an OC-192...the speed is get this... 9953.280Mbps!!!!! Quite fast, at almost 10Gbps....MS can afford it :D

Skipper2
03-10-2002, 10:55 PM
In response to your question,

There are a number of factors that will determine if you can get broadband in your area. If it is not offered already by either your cable company or phone company, chances are that you will not be able to get it later.

For broadband connections you need the following:

CABLE - There are 2 types. Older cable lines do not support bi-directional signals and you have to dial up with a modem while you use your cable modem and the cable modem receives info while your modem sends it out Newer cable lines are bi directional and you can send and recieve over the same line. But this is also dependant on weather all the rest of the cabling between your house and the cable company's routing station is the same type. Also MS would not be able to offer you their service unless they worked out a deal with your cable company.

DSL - This is very limited because of a number of factors. First off the phone lines have to be good in your area. Also you have to be within a certain radius of the phone company's routing station for your area.

The short and skinny is basically if you do not have high speed access offered in your area now, there is probably a reason for it (ie your cable lines or phone lines dont support it), and you will not be able to get it unless they are updated. Also for MS to offer the service via a cable connection they would have to have an agreement with your cable company where they could provide the service on their lines.

Hope this helps