PDA

View Full Version : What happened to HALO?

Cobalt
03-07-2002, 08:20 PM
In the original trailer for HALO, when it was still a PC project, there was indigenous wildlife, the Warthog had a cannon on top, and the Master Chief was able to carry the plasma sword. Why was all of this taken out?

Romo28
03-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Most likely, lack of resource, more specifically... TIME. The guys at Bungie pushed Halo to release earlier, and thus forcing them to remove alot of stuff.

Cobalt
03-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Romo28
Most likely, lack of resource, more specifically... TIME. The guys at Bungie pushed Halo to release earlier, and thus forcing them to remove alot of stuff.

Wouldn't removing something that's already there, take longer. Can the XBOX not handle wildlife without a drop in framerate?

GRAVEDIGGER
03-07-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Cobalt

Wouldn't removing something that's already there, take longer. Can the XBOX not handle wildlife without a drop in framerate?

Well, from what i've always heard, it takes way less effort to remove something thats already there, than to put something new in. The adding process is the long part, and as "Romo28" said
"Most likely, lack of resource, more specifically... TIME"

TIME!! thats all, the XBOX has a Graphics processor Equal to and or Greater than the new G-Force PC graphics card!!(from what i've heard) so we definately have the power, developers justr need the time:cool:

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad:

Hugh_Jass
03-07-2002, 09:35 PM
Just because you saw it in a trailer or demo doesn't mean it ever really existed.

Jason1010
03-07-2002, 10:59 PM
Actually there are alot of things that are missing in the game...

-wildlife
-nightday/weather cycles
-deformable terrain
-ability to be anything other than master cheif in multiplayer
-ability to play 32 player multiplayer aliens vs humans type games
-flamethrower
-energy sword use

I can't think of any other things off the top of my head right now that they said it was gonna have but that it didn't show up with.

Don't get me wrong though, i love halo! even though it was missing some of it's charm it is still a sweet ass fun game!

however, it WAS missing some things.... oh well... at least it was more than half there unlike black and white :( :D

Mercury
03-07-2002, 11:01 PM
Ahh, do not fear my friend. All this stuff and more will be in the next Halo game. Just think how great that will be!

And to answer your question...yes, it was the time factor.

Oh well.

darianX
03-08-2002, 11:58 AM
As for wildlife...I'm glad they didn't add that for this one reason: Framerate. I was a bit disappointed a few times during the game where it starting chugging, dropping frames like mad. I know that this is bound to happen, but where it was most annoying was at the end, driving the warthog out of the building. I think it dropped to under 5fps in there several times.

I could only imagine what the framerate would have been in the outdoor sections with wildlife hopping around. Good gravy....

There is one hell of a powerful GPU in the Xbox, and there will be times where framerate drops. That said, there are framerate benchmarks for the PC using Quake3 with TONS of explosions and millions of things going on onscreen. This will tax the GPU to infinity, and on a Geforce3 it is STILL playable, none of this less than 5fps stuff.

How is it that State of Emergency can have 100+ characters moving around onscreen at the same time on a PS2, and a couple of explosions in Halo brings the Xbox to a screeching halt? A bit of sloppy coding in the graphics dept is my guess. Don't mistake me, Halo is a great game for sure, Bungie just needed to clean up it's code a bit. It IS possible to have a lovely framerate and have lots of camera movement and stuff moving around. Just look at DOA3 :cool:

JJaX
03-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by darianX

How is it that State of Emergency can have 100+ characters moving around onscreen at the same time on a PS2, and a couple of explosions in Halo brings the Xbox to a screeching halt? A bit of sloppy coding in the graphics dept is my guess. Don't mistake me, Halo is a great game for sure, Bungie just needed to clean up it's code a bit. It IS possible to have a lovely framerate and have lots of camera movement and stuff moving around. Just look at DOA3 :cool:

Think about the amount of poloygons is put into each one of the models in State of Emergency. Now think about all the polygons that are in a halo model ontop of all the bump mapping and AI thought processing and real time light effects. (its like comparing doom sprites to Quake models)

DOA3 has static back rounds. The envoirments arent truly 3d. The real time rendering is happening on on lower level then halos.

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 12:11 PM
The current game we all have love to know, Halo, actually only utilizes about 45% of the XBox's capabilities.

Think of what Halo's sequel will be like (I can only hope!!)...this game could be formatted in 1080i, have tons of more weapons, more vehicles, structural deformation (the current one has some, but, there could be much more), more players, on-line, etc....

Personally, I think Bungie has only scratched the surface with their masterpeice. It's still my favorite game! My second favorite (and very close to Halo, in fact) is Rallisport Challenge, then Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding. :)