PDA

View Full Version : Violence and video games

Highlite23
03-08-2002, 08:02 AM
With State of Emergency pushing the envelope on viloence in video games my wife and i got into that debate.

I contest that it depends on the game, making games viloent just for the shock value is getting ridiculouse.

I can understand the blood in Halo, and shooters. I can even understand in fighting genres, but here are my 2 examples:

DOA3 is very violent, yet there is no bloodshed. The game is extremly popular none the less.

Another very popular game is Tony Hawk 3, a skateboarding game...was it really necessary to have blood smeared over the asfault when you wipe out??

Don't missunderstand, i own both of these games and enjoy them vary much...but i do have children and i wonder where it's going to end up.

So aside from just voting please try and explain your point of view.

Hugh_Jass
03-08-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by highlite23
DOA3 is very violent, yet there is no bloodshed. The game is extremly popular none the less.

Another very popular game is Tony Hawk 3, a skateboarding game...was it really necessary to have blood smeared over the asfault when you wipe out??

I think both of these games should have blood. Games should express realistic responses to any situation and that includes blood when people get hurt.

AlBoogy
03-08-2002, 09:04 AM
I vote for the bloodier the better. People enjoy video games because they do things in them they couldn't do in real life (and of course for entertainment). Why do you think Mortal Kombat was so popular when it first came out? If you took out the massive amount of blood and the fatalities do you think it would be as popular as it was? I think not. Not every game needs to have blood, but if it fits the game concept (shooting,etc,,) then i say the more the better!

Spaztic
03-08-2002, 09:31 AM
I voted for the bloodier the better. I personally like to play violent games because I cannot do the acts in real life! I for one think games should be realistic, thus the need for blood! What would a FPS game be without blood. I hate games that I get kick down 3 stories and though a pane of glass but comeout of it without any damage, it really detracts from the quality of the entire experience. I am 21 and have no problem seperating reality from a video game. But if I had kids, I would probably not allow them to play some of the games out now, just because they don't understand that their actions also have consequences. If I did have kids that what the cube is for!

FlyBoy
03-08-2002, 09:36 AM
I'm a blood fan myself... it just looks cool and adds something to the game. How realistic is it to roundhouse kick someone in the face and no blood sheds? Also, I inline skate all the time and I know it would be just plain stupid if the riders in Tony Hawk didn't dish out a little blood on the concrete after biffing on huge tricks. The bloodier the better.