PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to see with Microsoft's online games?

Mercury
03-08-2002, 08:07 AM
For me I definitely would like to see an account/profile of each player stored on MS's server. Which among the obvious stuff like wins and losses would also like to see incompletes. This is so we can get a good idea of who quits games frequently. Since it's broadband and not phone connection, which disconnects frequently, we can deter from the incompletes that we have ourselves a big baby onboard and stay away from him/her when playing games.

This is the one thing that I believe MS MUST have incorporated into their online games for their online revolution plans to take off.

Any other ideas?

dougi3000
03-08-2002, 08:17 AM
They must get games ONLINE!

If they are going to employ "online" strategy like they did with "embedded hardware", then I don't think we will see only 4 games online next year.

It really cheezes me off, when they boast about how the developers will use HDD, and the ethernet because it is "in the box", but do we see any of those game???? NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo....... less than 10% of the games actually use these things. How hard is it to utilize the HDD or ethernet??? There are only have 4 games that use Ethernet, and 4 games that use the fricken HDD for precaching the game...

This is INSANE!!!!!

manboy
03-08-2002, 12:23 PM
They need to take a different angle than PC games which, undoubtedly, offer superior multiplayer to.. well.. any console to date. Don't focus on the number of players, as long as the game supports 16 it's fine. PC's have it beat there by far. The communicator is cool, I think it is part of the strategy I'm talking about. They need to implement this thing into games very well to make it better than just some reg ol' voice chat that I already use in FPS games on my PC. They need to take it higher though. Give us quality; Rankings, good interface, and for god's sake make the thing work without bugs!

They need to shy away from FPS games too ******. This is the domain of the PC, don't mess with it. Playing an FPS game with a gamepad is about as clunky as trying to walk on your hands when compared to the good ol' keyboard/mouse... at least for me.

Vehicular combat (think Twisted Metal), stuff like Yager, mech combat, racing, fighting. List goes on. I just realized I wrote wayy too much so I'll stop now.

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by dougi3000
They must get games ONLINE!

If they are going to employ "online" strategy like they did with "embedded hardware", then I don't think we will see only 4 games online next year.

It really cheezes me off, when they boast about how the developers will use HDD, and the ethernet because it is "in the box", but do we see any of those game???? NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo....... less than 10% of the games actually use these things. How hard is it to utilize the HDD or ethernet??? There are only have 4 games that use Ethernet, and 4 games that use the fricken HDD for precaching the game...

This is INSANE!!!!!

dougi...you are one impatient dude...geez :rolleyes: The XBox came out last November in the middle of the month! That's only 4 months...you sound like a baby! ;)

LynxFX
03-08-2002, 01:10 PM
I can see some of the points doug is making.

Right now I think it is excusable since these are first wave games and all the specs for the xbox weren't final when they were first developing the games.

Now when the second gen games start coming out and the ones for online gaming they better take full advantage of everything the xbox has to offer. There is no excuse to do otherwise. Use the harddrive. Use the vertex shaders and bump mapping and yada yada yada. Use it all. Give us true widescreen support for every game you produce. Give us full DD 5.1 sound for every game you produce. If the game supports multiplayer, make it system link capable or online capable when the time comes. If a game doesn't then I am going to assume it is because of laziness on the developers side. Like I said, there is no excuse not to use the hardware that is infront of you. You have an excuse with PC games because not everyone has the same hardware but for consoles you do. So USE IT!!

Of course maybe all 2nd+ gen games will support all those features but I have a feeling most won't. *sigh*

But here's to hoping :) :) :)

Ok back on topic. I love FPS games so of course want those online but with some tweaks to make me stop playing on the PC. A mouse + keyboard combo would be sweet.

Twisted Metal type games would be awesome. Games like GTA3 and Wreckless where there are huge city scapes would be a great start to add in multiplayer where you have 16 people running around the town. Do you team up with someone and share the benefits or do you just go out and destroy anyone that gets within firing range? That is what I'm hoping for with Xbox Online.

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 01:17 PM
The bottom line of what I want in this summer's on-line forum is that I want a lot of games with on-line capability and I want a lot of people on-line to play with as a team or good old free for all.

To do this, first, developers must provide an on-line option, of course. Secondly, Microsoft needs to make the on-line forum affordable, therefore, maximizing the interest of more players to actually get on-line to playing.

If Microsoft charges too much, the entire on-line forum will flop. It takes game players to go on-line to make it successful, therefore, a low fee or none at all will do this.

Just my 2 cents :)

LynxFX
03-08-2002, 01:21 PM
I totally agree Max. The online forum must be affordable or free. It takes gamers to sell software and if you make it so you don't get more gamers you won't sell more software where you know the real profits come from.

Are you listening Microsoft? :)