PDA

View Full Version : My impressions of Rallisport Challenge- You are free to disagree

patsue
03-08-2002, 11:52 AM
I bought this yesterday morning and played it all day and into the early morning hours this morning. I stayed over at a friends house. I compared Rallisport on my xbox against his GT3 on his P2.

First of all in the graphics dept. There is no comparison. Rallisport kicks GT3's butt. But you all knew it would.

But this stupid way it kicks you back on the track when you are 30 feet off to the side is maddening. You lose your momentum and timing. I hate it! I wish they had done it like Amped where you really have to try to go out of bounds to get kicked back on. Way out of bounds.

Also, the way you can mess with your car in Rallisport is severly limited as opposed to GT3. It is really amateur, You only get 3 general settings for suspension, tires, brakes and etc. Whereas in GT3, you can really mess with your car.

Rallisport is closer to an arcade game than it is a sim like Gt3. I was hoping for better.

Graphics are nice, but graphics are getting so good these days that that alone won't carry the game for me if I want a simulation as opposed to an arcade game.

It is fun, but it is fun that I know I am going to get tired of, whereas my buddy has had GT3 for months and still is tweaking cars and stuff.

And the rally races in GT3, I hate to say it, but I enjoyed more.

And the cars in GT3 acted like real cars whereas Rallisport did sometimes, and totally didn't other times. Like I said, more arcade then sim.

I am going to keep giving it time, but I kind of wished I had listianed to others on this board and rented it first. Had I done that, I don't think I would have bought it.

I hope they do port over GT3 for xbox. I will stand in line for that one.

Just my opinion,

patsue

AlBoogy
03-08-2002, 12:02 PM
"I hope they do port over GT3 for xbox. I will stand in line for that one."

I was respecting your post until I got to this part.

manboy
03-08-2002, 12:05 PM
Well that's what happens when you play an arcade racer and compare it to a sim. Wait till Sega GT 2002, heh, hopefully that'll be a sim.

Woocifer
03-08-2002, 12:06 PM
I agree with most of what you said only because I knew this game wasn't going to be a sim. I knew it was going to be an arcade Rally game. Personally I think this game is really fun.

I hate the idea that you are placed back on the track if you go offcourse...angering, but it makes you more focussed on controlling the car, which actually makes the game kinda an on the edge of your seat experience. If you keep going off and losing, then it means you aren't playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

As for the sim part...I say wait till Pro Racer comes out with all its realisitic damage and such. I think that one you will be more inclined to tweak and figure the car out.

Personally I found GT3 to be the same as the other GT's and got bored. It looked cool and is cool that you can screw with the cars, but what bothers me is you can't do anything to the car other than tweak its knobs and such or change the rims. I want custom paint jobs, body kits, you name it I want to be able to do it to my car. I want to be able to soup up a stupid little civic to have 25 inch rims on the back, or maybe huge dragstrip slicks...

Anyway, I find Rallisport to be a breath of fresh air compared to most of the almost good games that have been coming out.

patsue
03-08-2002, 12:14 PM
I have to admit, I don't have the personal time in on GT3 that I do Rallisport because I have to go 60 miles away to stay with my friend to play it, so maybe I shouldn't say I would stand in line. I will stand in line though for a race game on xbox that is as deep or deeper then GT3 in the sim dept. though.

Rallisport is fun, that is for sure, I just was personally hoping that it was more of a sim then an arcade.

But then I like doing cross country IFR in Flight Simulator 2002 so I am a little out of balance I am sure.

Patsue

Afro Aura
03-08-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by patsue
I bought this yesterday morning and played it all day and into the early morning hours this morning. I stayed over at a friends house. I compared Rallisport on my xbox against his GT3 on his P2.

I hope they do port over GT3 for xbox. I will stand in line for that one.

Just my opinion,
patsue
Well maybe they should port you over to the PS2, how can you compare Rallisport Challenge to GT3, Rallisport is in the middle of a Sim/arcade style game, if you wanted something to compare it with just wait until Sega GT 2002 gets here then the real test comes in

by the way I haven't played game but I know that Rallisport is not a sim

patsue
03-08-2002, 12:31 PM
Go port yourself afroid. The only P2 game I like is GT3, other then that, xbox totally rules.

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Personally, I love Rallisport Challenge...it's the best racing game I have ever played and I have played a lot. Yes, this is my opinion, of course...and, I have played GT3 multitudes of times and this game shouldn't even be compared to Rallisport Challenge! Not at all! If you ask me, it's a completely different game and the Rally racing portion of GT3 bites the big one if you ask me! The on road on GT3, however, is very nice.

If you ask me, I can care less about tweaking my cars above and beyond the amount you can already tweak them on Rallisport Challenge. I have tweaked the crap out of my cars while playing GT3 and not seen a d a m n thing in the difference of how the car performs. Just knowing that I had a bigger muffler and a larger piston wasn't enough...I didn't see any difference in performance...the only difference I have seen in the performance in GT3 is comparing the lowest end items with the highest end items. If you ask me, the biggest thing that really makes a difference in GT3 is the f'n tires! Besides, the tracks on there are so d a m n repetitive that it makes me sick.

I like Rallisport Challenge....If this is more of an Arcade style game, then, I must apparently prefer arcade style games. The gameplay is breathtaking, the graphics are eye stimulating, the sounds are brilliant, the effects are outstanding, and you can even rip your own tunes and listen to them while playing the game. Personally, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Also, I'm surprised anyone compares Rallisport with GT3! That blows my mind! They are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT games! That's like comparing Project Gotham Racing, an on-road exotic sport car game, with Rallisport challenge, a full-blown open off-road rally racing game! The two are both racers, yes, but, are in two different subcategories.

LynxFX
03-08-2002, 12:44 PM
I'm torn on this game now. I've seen some people just go on and on about how good it is, then others showing disappointment.

I was just going to skip this game all together because of no mention of widescreen support but now that it is confirmed that it does have widescreen support and that it looks awesome I might reconsider.

The custom soundtracks is also a pleasant welcome.

I just don't know if I want to wait for Testdrive and Sega GT to come out first to make comparisons or not. I know they aren't all the same type of game but I don't want to end up with a bunch of racing games that I won't play. So I need to find the one good one. :)

I don't have the cash now anyway so waiting won't hurt me. Maybe when it goes on sale.

raVen
03-08-2002, 12:54 PM
I usually don't enjoy car games, but this one actually seems to be quite fun as I loved Colin McRae rally 2 (even though I only played the demo).

Could anyone compare Rallisport Challange to CMR2, with the differences please?

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I'm torn on this game now. I've seen some people just go on and on about how good it is, then others showing disappointment.

I was just going to skip this game all together because of no mention of widescreen support but now that it is confirmed that it does have widescreen support and that it looks awesome I might reconsider.

The custom soundtracks is also a pleasant welcome.

I just don't know if I want to wait for Testdrive and Sega GT to come out first to make comparisons or not. I know they aren't all the same type of game but I don't want to end up with a bunch of racing games that I won't play. So I need to find the one good one. :)

I don't have the cash now anyway so waiting won't hurt me. Maybe when it goes on sale.

It's great to see you again, Lynxfx! I haven't seen you around these parts for, seemingly, a long time!

Just so you know, Rallisport Challenge is my #2 game, a very close second to Halo! Personally, it's the best racing game I have ever played...it's brilliant if you ask me. And, yes, the widescreen is beautiful! :D

Also, if anyone is trying to judge Rallisport challenge while playing on a 19" TV with the RFU adapter, then, they really need to give the game a second chance and examine this game on how brilliant it is on a Widescreen HDTV with Component connections. That's how to get the REAL test of a game :D

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by raVen
I usually don't enjoy car games, but this one actually seems to be quite fun as I loved Colin McRae rally 2 (even though I only played the demo).

Could anyone compare Rallisport Challange to CMR2, with the differences please?

Well, raVen...Collin McCrae Rally for the XBox won't be out until later...so, there won't be anyone that can compare the two in regards to a first-hand test. But, I will say that I will also buy Collin McCrae Rally! I mean, who can deny that 15,000 polgons per car won't be breathtaking!! :D

LynxFX
03-08-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks Maximus.

Yeah I've haven't been posting much lately but still been reading.

I think I will have to give this game a good hard look. I do want a racing game and decided to stay away from PGR. If I see it for $40 at CC like I have been seeing most games 2 weeks after they are launched then I might just pick it up.

From what I've heard, from you and others is that seeing this game in widescreen on a HD capable set is breathtaking. How realistic do you think it would look on a 110" screen? :D

Spaztic
03-08-2002, 01:22 PM
I would like to add that this is my 2nd favorite game, #1 is Halo. If halo didn't have the ability to play online Rallisport would be #1.
Well I don't understand why people buy games without researching for themselves. It specifically says in each review that this is a arcade style game. Now I don't know about you but I am the type that likes sims. This game steals to best of the sim and arcade mode, which for me is a perfect blend. This game is off the hook, keeps you at the edge of your seat! Should I pass or stay behind and run cars off the road?! Absolutly beautiful! I'm sorry you didn't get what you expected!

Tips to buy a good game!
1) you have to be interested in the content!
2) read up on it! go to sites with reviews
3) what are others saying about it?!
4) buy it a EB so if you don't like it you can return it!

don't just buy a game because someone says it's good, come on be your own person, only you know what you like and dislike! Sheesh! some people..............

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 01:24 PM
How realistic do you think it would look on a 110" screen? :D

Geez, Lynxfx...every time you say that, I urinate my boxers! :D

Now that I have my new Toshiba 43" HDTV Widescreen, I feel like I am big time! To me, playing games in high definition is the only way to get a true feel of a game. I had no idea what I was missing before!

By the way, I really liked Project Gotham Racing...but I LOVE Rallisport Challenge! I noticed you mentioned the game, Wreckless in another post....graphically, Rallisport kicks the living crap out of Wreckless in that category! No joke! Rallisport Challenge is one extremely impressive game. I strongly urge you to rent this game if you have any precautions about buying it. To me, Rallisport is worth the full price...it's outstanding!

Keep reading reviews...people seem to really know what they are talking about. The first day I played Rallisport, I planned on only playing for a couple hours...next thing I knew, I wrapped up after 6!!!! No joke! And it only felt like 2! No game has done this to me other than Halo...and certainly no racing game has ever done that! :)

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
I would like to add that this is my 2nd favorite game, #1 is Halo. If halo didn't have the ability to play online Rallisport would be #1.
Well I don't understand why people buy games without researching for themselves. It specifically says in each review that this is a arcade style game. Now I don't know about you but I am the type that likes sims. This game steals to best of the sim and arcade mode, which for me is a perfect blend. This game is off the hook, keeps you at the edge of your seat! Should I pass or stay behind and run cars off the road?! Absolutly beautiful! I'm sorry you didn't get what you expected!

Tips to buy a good game!
1) you have to be interested in the content!
2) read up on it! go to sites with reviews
3) what are others saying about it?!
4) buy it a EB so if you don't like it you can return it!

don't just buy a game because someone says it's good, come on be your own person, only you know what you like and dislike! Sheesh! some people..............

Bryan...said like a true XBoxaddict! :D You practically stole the words out of my mouth! I would also rank Rallisport #1 if Halo wasn't able to play on-line! By the way, what is your Gamespy ID? I'll be on tonight with 3 dudes...there's a chance I may have 4 :)

LynxFX
03-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Geez, Lynxfx...every time you say that, I urinate my boxers!

Everytime I see it I urinate my boxers! :D

Yeah I personally love Wreckless. I'm just waiting for the no time limit cheat. Come on, I know you are out there. Here cheat cheat cheat cheat. Just want it so I can free roam. I had no doubt that Rallisport had better graphics. ;) I know graphically I will love this game. I'm just hesitant on gameplay. I'll check around and see if it is on any kiosks around town this weekend. If not then I'll just get it at EB and return it if I don't like it.

Spaztic
03-08-2002, 01:34 PM
what is your Gamespy ID? I'll be on tonight with 3 dudes...there's a chance I may have 4

I actually don't have cable, I play at my friends house.....Once I get online I will definatly want to play, you and jaxx! (trying not to sound like a ****) I have played quite a few times and friends and I have NEVER lost. I don't know if we are playing just a bunch of crappy people or what, but I would rather have a challange and lose then lay people to waste constantly....it's just not as fun!

Do you encounter a bunch or REALLY crappy players?
When I say crappy I mean I waste them 25 to 1 kill and the only reason I died is because I grew board and was only killing them by melee?

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls

I actually don't have cable, I play at my friends house.....Once I get online I will definatly want to play, you and jaxx! (trying not to sound like a ****) I have played quite a few times and friends and I have NEVER lost. I don't know if we are playing just a bunch of crappy people or what, but I would rather have a challange and lose then lay people to waste constantly....it's just not as fun!

Do you encounter a bunch or REALLY crappy players?
When I say crappy I mean I waste them 25 to 1 kill and the only reason I died is because I grew board and was only killing them by melee?

lol, dude! I know EXACTLY what you are talking about! Just look me up....I am seemingly always on in the evenings and any time on the weekends! My Gamespy ID is [XBA[-Maximus. I will have 3 or 4 dudes tonight (2 which are REALLY good and 2 that are good). And, tomorrow, during the day, I will have 2 REALLY good players :)

raVen
03-08-2002, 01:45 PM
Heh, I meant Colin 2 for Playstation (sorry!) but anyway, I've heard some really good things about the game, and will probably buy it as a launch title.

My problem is I really have to limit the games I buy on launch. But seriously, its quite crazy with games like Halo, Amped, Rallisport, Hunter the Reckoning (which will probably be out by then), JSRF. It's hurting my brain!

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 01:46 PM

Everytime I see it I urinate my boxers! :D

Yeah I personally love Wreckless. I'm just waiting for the no time limit cheat. Come on, I know you are out there. Here cheat cheat cheat cheat. Just want it so I can free roam. I had no doubt that Rallisport had better graphics. ;) I know graphically I will love this game. I'm just hesitant on gameplay. I'll check around and see if it is on any kiosks around town this weekend. If not then I'll just get it at EB and return it if I don't like it.

Dude, the gameplay is equal to the graphics in my opinion. At my local EB, they had it on the kiosk! Good luck! But, make sure you keep an open mind when you are playing it...visually, your TV will kick the living crap out of what you see at the kiosk, as I'm sure you already know! :D

darianX
03-08-2002, 03:16 PM
Uhg...why do people always compare ANY Xbox driving game to GTA3??? Good grief, is that game REALLY all that good to make comparisons all the time? Hardcore sims like that are rare..they are for people who like to tweak and quibble with every little thing. I'd rather have an arcade style game where I can just mash the gas and go...I play games to escape reality, not simulate it.

linkycat
03-08-2002, 04:13 PM
Okay folks. Listen carefully.

For the purposes of deciding if Rallisport Challenge is a good game, ignore GT3. It is not there. It doesn't exist in the world of Rallisport.

Why? you ask? Because they are too different. If you like sim racing games, than play GT3 on PS2 until we get one on the box. But if you want a beautifully designed game, and a few hours of fun racing in arcade rally style pick this sucker up.

It is a great game, you won't be dissapointed if you aren't expecting it to be a sim.

Is it my favorite game on the box? Nope. Is it one of the best, YOU BET YOUR BIPPY.

Afro Aura
03-08-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

By the way, I really liked Project Gotham Racing...but I LOVE Rallisport Challenge! I noticed you mentioned the game, Wreckless in another post....graphically, Rallisport kicks the living crap out of Wreckless in that category! No joke! Rallisport Challenge is one extremely impressive game. I strongly urge you to rent this game if you have any precautions about buying it. To me, Rallisport is worth the full price...it's outstanding!
Look I said stop bigging up this game and if you said that it kill Wreckless graphically I'm coming over to take yours so stop stop it NOW!!!!

Come on 14/3/02 I'm fed up with Maximus, going on about this game and how good it looks and plays grrr

The Terminator
03-08-2002, 07:36 PM
I never liked GT3. I feel that the cars were incredibly unresponsive (maybe if I had the steering wheel thingy instead of the PS2 controls this would not be the case...), and the only thing it really had going was the sheer amount of cars that it had.

When you got into the S-Class races, I feel the fun just left, as the cars were impossible to turn, excepting the F1s, which would just smoke the non-F1 cars (it was a sim, so that's good, I guess...)

Anyway, I'm not really into rally cars, so this game doesn't really capture my interest. I'm definately going to be looking forward to Sega GT and any good motorcycle racer to hit the Xbox. =]

patsue
03-08-2002, 11:13 PM
Well, after reading the responses to my thread, I gave it another shot tonight reminding myself to have fun and forget my unrealistic sim expectations when I bought it. I am getting the hang of it and am starting to have a good time.

I didn't do enough research on this sim obviously because I thought based upon some posts that I read on this site that it was more sim then arcade, but now I think I was mistaken.

Oh well,

For those of you still thinking about getting this, I still recommend renting it first but, I don't think you can ever be disapointed in this if you get it knowing it isn't a super realistic sim.

patsue

-WorldSpawn-
03-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by darianX
Uhg...why do people always compare ANY Xbox driving game to GTA3??? Good grief, is that game REALLY all that good to make comparisons all the time? Hardcore sims like that are rare..they are for people who like to tweak and quibble with every little thing. I'd rather have an arcade style game where I can just mash the gas and go...I play games to escape reality, not simulate it.

Well said Darian! From what I've seen of GTA3, nothing has blown me away about it like Rallisport. The tweaking options available are plenty for me, and you can actually tell the difference after changing some settings. I must be an arcade-style player...