PDA

View Full Version : xbox w/ projection screen tv (non HDTV)

Spaztic
03-08-2002, 01:55 PM
I am looking into a projection screen tv (nonhdtv). I only have 2 channels broadcast in hdtv so it is really not worth the extra grand. I have heard rumors or burn in...now in my understanding it is something that is very rare but I would never want it to happen. I was just wondering if anyone here has actually had it happen to them? My friend has a projection tv and he plays all the time and hasn't gotten burn in. Is this only common with older projection sets?

l Maximus l
03-08-2002, 02:01 PM
Well, it can be *more* common for burn in with older projection TVs, yes...but, one thing is for sure, you need to be a little more careful when using a projection TV. In other words, you just need to be a little smarter with it than you would in comparison to a tube.

Simply turn down the contrast on the projection TV. That will dramatically reduce the risk for burn in. I also recommend turning the TV off if you decide to walk away and put a game on pause.

Burn in only occurs if there is an image that doesn't move on the screen. Take a health bar or the cross-hairs in Halo for example. They don't move. But, if you are playing multi-player, when you die, that image goes away, as you may already know...and Halo wouldn't do anything even if you had the contrast all the way up (especially since you are playing multi-player). So, if you are playing games that have an image that is on the screen that doesn't move, that's where it is vital to turn down the contrast. Also, it's good not to play longer than 4 straight hours without giving it a little rest.

So, bottom line, you just have to be a little more cautious with a projection TV in comparison to a tube. Even tubes have similar challenges, but, not nearly to the same level. Hope that helps! :)

LynxFX
03-08-2002, 04:23 PM
May I make one sudgestion for you though. Make sure you at least get an HD ready projection tv. This way you still get the capability for high resolutions and can take advantage of what the xbox can put out(480p, 720p & 1080i). The only difference between the HD ready and a true HDTV is that the HDTV has the HD tuner built in versus having to get an external decoder. So make sure that the tv you get supports at least 480p and 1080i.

Otherwise like Maximus was saying just use common sense and you will have some of the best gaming days ever.

The Terminator
03-08-2002, 04:38 PM
Also: be careful when watching channels w/ logos, such as CNN or Fox or ABC. Those logos can be burnt into a projection screen tv if left for too long.

Spaztic
03-08-2002, 04:40 PM
thanks guys!

Highlite23
03-08-2002, 07:22 PM
The other posts pretty much explained the why and how, and are accurate.

I would recomend contacting the manufacturer.

I have a Toshiba 50" Theatreview projection TV, I contacted the manufacturer when i bought it a year ago, at that time i was using my DC on it, they explained basically what already has been said, with one exception...It would take about 72 hours of "CONSTANT" projection to cause burn.

I purchased my TV in October of 2000 and have had either my DC on it or now my XBOX, no sign of burn or image degridation.

They did recomend getting the projection guns cleaned and realined once a year if your set doesn't have convergence capabilities. (Most new sets do)

Burn was a big issue in older sets. Hope this helps.