PDA

View Full Version : Official Dashboard Overhaul Countdown Thread!

Ainokeatoo
10-11-2008, 01:35 AM
http://www.xboxaddict.com/news/9201.html

Well, since I can't wait until the new dashboard arrives I've decided to make a thread!

Anyone who's anyone knows the dashboard will arrive on the 19th, and there are some who: Don't like the new dashboard and can wait for it to come, those who love the new dashboard (me) and can't wait for it to come, and some who don't care. We're going to have a fun time waiting for it by counting the days until it arrives!

As it stands there are 8 Days left, so it will be the Monday a week from now!

:cheers:XBOX:cheers:XBOX:cheers:XBOX:cheers:

LINKINPARK8591
10-11-2008, 02:27 AM
looking forward to the update.............

y2kash_14
10-11-2008, 02:44 AM

:cheers:XBOX:cheers:XBOX:cheers:XBOX:cheers:

Sorry to burst your bubble...but it comes out NOVEMBER 19th :bang:

Netflix was the only thing i was excited about....but since I've discovered tversity, I'm not as excited.

Symmetric-XBA
10-11-2008, 05:51 AM
yeah in 1 week it'll be 1 month left untill the new update. I'm personally not looking forward to it. I think the avatar thing is weak as hell, and the new dashboard doesn't seem like it will fully display any themes or background images that you may have already purchased. Then the netflix b.s. is a joke. They will ONLY allow you to stream SD content, not HD content, and you still have to log onto your comp. to create the queue for your 360 (just another step to do when all you want to do is watch a movie). Plus w/ this Netflix, its ONLY available in the US (Netflix isn't offered overseas) and ONLY if you PURCHASE a Netflix Unlimited Subscription. So if you're like me and have family overseas, then even after the update, I STILL can't watch a movie with them, which to me is a ****ing joke. MS I feel has half-a$$ed this update, but thats just my own opinion. The ONLY saving grace (which has yet to be disclosed) is if that MS allows people in a "party" where some members are overseas can STILL watch a movie when its dl'ed from the xbl marketplace. However, I feel that this won't happen since ppl in the UK have different movies offered to them than the US. If thats true, then I'm cancelling my xbl subscription and throwing my system out the window b/c for MS wanting to "connect" people, they sure know how to keep people separated.

Shawn-XBA
10-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Comes out November 19th, so its 39 days away :D

I'm really looking forward to the new dashboard. Looks like it will be easier to navigate and find things in the marketplace. The 8 player party / chat feature is going to be awesome. I'm also looking forward to the new games like 1 vs 100 that uses the avatars. I don't really like the idea of the avatars, but I see the reasoning behind adding them so its all good. They just released yesterday that they will have a download queue like bungie.net, where you can pick what you want to download from xbox.com and when you sign into XBL on your 360 it will automatically start to download. I really like that new feature. Makes me wonder what kind of other features they may be holding back from releasing until it gets closer to launch.

I've also heard that the new dashboard will be much easier to update. So maybe we will see small updates here and there instead of the normal fall and spring updates every year.

--
Since we're on the topic, what are your answers to the following questions:

What are you most looking forward to in this update? 8 person party and chat, and the primetime games

What are you least looking forward to in this update? Netflix just because I will probably not use it

And what feature would you like to see added that isn't in the update? I would like to see a search engine added to the marketplace so you can find items easier

CrazyCougar
10-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah, this one baffled me! LOL! I was like wait, did I read somethign wrong somewhere? I thought it was November and starting looking up the info. LOL!

Still can't wait for the NXE though! Should be great!

Variation-XBA
10-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Oh Aino, you forgot to read the fine print. November 19th isn't 8 days away bud ;)
Easiest way to remember? Day after Left 4 Dead!

I think the avatar thing is weak as hell

Then don't use them, you can still use your old gamer pictures.

and the new dashboard doesn't seem like it will fully display any themes or background images that you may have already purchased.
This has already been address and explained. You CAN use your old themes that you've bought or whatever. They've even shown it in videos and it looks larger because of the less ad-space on the forefront.

They will ONLY allow you to stream SD content, not HD content,
At launch. Most peoples connections couldn't even stream HD fast enough without it skipping anyways.

Plus w/ this Netflix, its ONLY available in the US (Netflix isn't offered overseas) and ONLY if you PURCHASE a Netflix Unlimited Subscription.
And? I'm not in the states and I don't even get the option. For the people that are and have a Netflix account and a 360, I don't see why you wouldn't if you wanted to watch it on your tv.

So if you're like me and have family overseas, then even after the update, I STILL can't watch a movie with them, which to me is a ****ing joke.

So you weren't able to before, but since you still arn't able to, it's time to bash MS for it? Ok....

MS I feel has half-a$$ed this update, but thats just my own opinion. [
Are you seriously blind or something? This is the largest update they've done and arguably on a console ever.

If thats true, then I'm cancelling my xbl subscription and throwing my system out the window b/c for MS wanting to "connect" people, they sure know how to keep people separated.

LOL, I'm not even going to bother responding to that cause it's funny enough already.

CrazyCougar
10-11-2008, 02:54 PM
:D Maybe its leap year where he is and instead of adding a day they skip a whole month. LOL!

Zeitgeist
10-12-2008, 12:25 AM
Oh Aino, you forgot to read the fine print. November 19th isn't 8 days away bud ;)
Easiest way to remember? Day after Left 4 Dead!

Then don't use them, you can still use your old gamer pictures.

This has already been address and explained. You CAN use your old themes that you've bought or whatever. They've even shown it in videos and it looks larger because of the less ad-space on the forefront.

At launch. Most peoples connections couldn't even stream HD fast enough without it skipping anyways.

And? I'm not in the states and I don't even get the option. For the people that are and have a Netflix account and a 360, I don't see why you wouldn't if you wanted to watch it on your tv.

So you weren't able to before, but since you still arn't able to, it's time to bash MS for it? Ok....

Are you seriously blind or something? This is the largest update they've done and arguably on a console ever.

LOL, I'm not even going to bother responding to that cause it's funny enough already.

well said on all accounts variation, this symmetric kid is a real dumbass considering the "complaints" he's leveling at the service update.

Hey Symmetric, why don't you do a little research before spouting off nonsense. second, you say you'll cancel live and throw your xbox out the window, and then what? what other console allows you to do anything even remotely similar?

Me personally, I'm looking forward the most to installing games on my 120gb HD so I don't have to listen to the jet engine disc reader anymore!

Symmetric-XBA
10-12-2008, 04:10 AM
well said on all accounts variation, this symmetric kid is a real dumbass considering the "complaints" he's leveling at the service update.

Hey Symmetric, why don't you do a little research before spouting off nonsense. second, you say you'll cancel live and throw your xbox out the window, and then what? what other console allows you to do anything even remotely similar?

Me personally, I'm looking forward the most to installing games on my 120gb HD so I don't have to listen to the jet engine disc reader anymore!

wow, I'm a dumbass for having an opinion? real mature and intelligent there. Listen its my opinion, I personally don't care if you share it or not, it my own opinion. What other console allows me to do anything similar? Ever think that I may want to focus more on my audio and computer engineering than a video game console? I'd rather be collecting paychecks and have money personally. Tone your insults down a notch or two. Its b/c of my hard work that I'm even helping out members of this site so before you go shouting that I'm a "dumbass" keep this in mind, I do whatever I can to help ppl out on this forum (wether your realize it or not). Hell, I'm even selling a faceplate and giving Space most of the money so the stress of providing a wonderfull life for his family is lessened, and its the least that I could do to try and repay the kindness and aid that he has provided me with during my horrific times. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and if you did, then I guarantee you wouldn't say such things. I do this to help ppl b/c at the end of the day it makes me feel good about myself to help others better their lives. Hell Space was one of the ONLY ones on here who actually helped me when I was at my lowest, and the rest of you just didn't care. Obv. you don't see it that way, to you, I'm just a "dumbass". lol right, say what you want, it means nothing to me.

Ainokeatoo
10-12-2008, 06:55 AM
wow, I'm a dumbass for having an opinion? real mature and intelligent there. Listen its my opinion, I personally don't care if you share it or not, it my own opinion. What other console allows me to do anything similar? Ever think that I may want to focus more on my audio and computer engineering than a video game console? I'd rather be collecting paychecks and have money personally. Tone your insults down a notch or two. Its b/c of my hard work that I'm even helping out members of this site so before you go shouting that I'm a "dumbass" keep this in mind, I do whatever I can to help ppl out on this forum (wether your realize it or not). Hell, I'm even selling a faceplate and giving Space most of the money so the stress of providing a wonderfull life for his family is lessened, and its the least that I could do to try and repay the kindness and aid that he has provided me with during my horrific times. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and if you did, then I guarantee you wouldn't say such things. I do this to help ppl b/c at the end of the day it makes me feel good about myself to help others better their lives. Hell Space was one of the ONLY ones on here who actually helped me when I was at my lowest, and the rest of you just didn't care. Obv. you don't see it that way, to you, I'm just a "dumbass". lol right, say what you want, it means nothing to me.

*Cough* Now, before I go onto the lecture, I would like to say, "Those who spread knowledge of your good deeds will last longer than spreading that knowledge yourself." Think on that.

NOW!!!!! I don't want anymore bashing in this thread, Symmetric is a good member of the site, and he is entitled to his opinion, under the first amendment of the constitution in which he and a lot of the members here live under. Not to mention the rules of the site. He is entitled to his own opinion. You don't have to like it and you don't have to agree with it. You 'will' respect his opinion and have enough class not to attack him on it.

Yes his opinion was a little ignorant, but with ignorance comes knowledge. He didn't insult you, don't insult him.

ALSO! To everyone else in the thread... My bad, :rofl: I was thinking about my birthday later this month when I read when it was coming out and accidentally mistook "November" for "October". But that's ok, we can still countdown I still can't wait.

Just to tell everyone else that 'may' not like this update. Just play your games, all this update does is expand the features they already have. Sure the avatar system isn't really extremely amazing. But it's free and just another feature. Net flix, you don't need it, no need to worry. What everyone should be happy about is the 8 player game to game chat room ish kinda thing. Because finally, since the original xbox some sort of Room Private Chat is available on the 360. Not only that, but now you can take your party and move to different games, rooms, all staying connected with each other. That! Is what I am most excited for, everything else coming with this update is nice, but that is what should make all these lax gamers and even clan gamers, happy.

Not to mention, I'm glad I get to look at something new when I fire up my box, it gets old coming in and looking at the same thing over and over and over for three years. I'm glad they're overhauling the dash, it's a nice something new. And with some hope they'll add the IPTV function that they showcased at CES.

LeThAl REMiX
10-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I can't wai for it!! I'll have fun playing CoD5 beta for now though

Highlite23
10-12-2008, 11:27 AM
I think its going to be an overall success.......the non hardcore will eat it up. There are a few tweaks I'm looking forward to, after that we'll just have to wait and see.

It was a little overdue though ;)

GamerSince'76
10-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Wow there hasn't been this much drama since.....yesterday.

Let's tone it down and keep discussing the update and not personally insult each other.

I'm glad that I don't have to use the Avs. I don't think it suits the 360 but obviously MS is going the Wii route by bundling Kung Fu Panda and Lego Indiana Jones. They are vocal that they want the 360 to thought of as a family console.

The dashboard does need an update and I give MS credit for doing this huge overhaul. I hope that they come out with a Master Chief, Big Daddy, Marcus Fenix, etc, avs. I wouldn't mind paying for those.

I'm seriously waiting a few days before downloading it though. If there are some bricked systems out there, I don't want to be one of them.

Variation-XBA
10-12-2008, 12:54 PM
T I hope that they come out with a Master Chief, Big Daddy, Marcus Fenix, etc, avs. I wouldn't mind paying for those.

I will gladly pay if they make Lancers for your avatars, or Master Chielf armor's etc instead of regular clothes. The possibilities are endless.

Shawn-XBA
10-12-2008, 02:37 PM
The dashboard does need an update and I give MS credit for doing this huge overhaul. I hope that they come out with a Master Chief, Big Daddy, Marcus Fenix, etc, avs. I wouldn't mind paying for those.
Yes, that would be awesome.

I'm also looking forward to the animated themes, that need for speed one that they keep showing looks pretty cool.

Ainokeatoo
10-12-2008, 05:24 PM
I'm seriously waiting a few days before downloading it though. If there are some bricked systems out there, I don't want to be one of them.

That's actually not a bad Idea, because the first 'empty' update they did it bricked both of my consoles one after the other. At least, that's what I blame it on.

Omen28
10-12-2008, 05:51 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't really care about the dashboard. you know how much time I am on the dashboard compared to playing games? Probably less than 1 percent. Just give me Fallout, Fable, and Gears then leave me alone.

Ainokeatoo
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
To tell you the truth, I don't really care about the dashboard. you know how much time I am on the dashboard compared to playing games? Probably less than 1 percent. Just give me Fallout, Fable, and Gears then leave me alone.

I dunno, I don't often purchase new games and spend some time tooling around on the demo's or playing around on the Dash. So really, to me, it's just something new, and nothings wrong with new things. Especially when they're free.

CrazyCougar
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
One down side to the avatars is that i see a lot of publishers/developers trying to cash in on themed accessories for your character such as T-Shirts or the previously mentioned lancers and weapons, etc... But then again everyone has a choice whether to buy it or not. So in essence it shouldnt be a problem.

Cant wait for the NXE!!! Lots of new things to play with, and should freshen up the life of the 360 in general.

Omen28
10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
I dunno, I don't often purchase new games and spend some time tooling around on the demo's or playing around on the Dash. So really, to me, it's just something new, and nothings wrong with new things. Especially when they're free.

Yeah it doesn't bother me. I am just not super pumped for it. Either way its fine. When I start up my console I check inside xbox and if there is any new demos and thats it. So I was just saying either way i don't care, I just want to play my games in peace.

Alex5101
10-12-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm all for the new dashboard. I like the old dashboard but when you look at them side by side the old dashboard looks cluttered. Plus the avatars are a cool edition, they aren't that great but at least it looks like they're putting a lot of effort into them.

Now here's hoping M$ doesn't charge us to get updates for the avatars. -.-;

Variation-XBA
10-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Now here's hoping M$ doesn't charge us to get updates for the avatars. -.-;

You might as well bank on it. They charge for themes and pictures, it would be silly not to charge for character customization when they know it will sell.

Yes some will be free, and yes, some will have a fee. but I'm buying a damn Lancer damnit if they make one.

Zeitgeist
10-13-2008, 06:25 AM
*Cough* Now, before I go onto the lecture, I would like to say, "Those who spread knowledge of your good deeds will last longer than spreading that knowledge yourself." Think on that.

NOW!!!!! I don't want anymore bashing in this thread, Symmetric is a good member of the site, and he is entitled to his opinion, under the first amendment of the constitution in which he and a lot of the members here live under. Not to mention the rules of the site. He is entitled to his own opinion. You don't have to like it and you don't have to agree with it. You 'will' respect his opinion and have enough class not to attack him on it.

Yes his opinion was a little ignorant, but with ignorance comes knowledge. He didn't insult you, don't insult him.

ALSO! To everyone else in the thread... My bad, :rofl: I was thinking about my birthday later this month when I read when it was coming out and accidentally mistook "November" for "October". But that's ok, we can still countdown I still can't wait.

Just to tell everyone else that 'may' not like this update. Just play your games, all this update does is expand the features they already have. Sure the avatar system isn't really extremely amazing. But it's free and just another feature. Net flix, you don't need it, no need to worry. What everyone should be happy about is the 8 player game to game chat room ish kinda thing. Because finally, since the original xbox some sort of Room Private Chat is available on the 360. Not only that, but now you can take your party and move to different games, rooms, all staying connected with each other. That! Is what I am most excited for, everything else coming with this update is nice, but that is what should make all these lax gamers and even clan gamers, happy.

Not to mention, I'm glad I get to look at something new when I fire up my box, it gets old coming in and looking at the same thing over and over and over for three years. I'm glad they're overhauling the dash, it's a nice something new. And with some hope they'll add the IPTV function that they showcased at CES.

well apparently you haven't seen the other threads that he's posted in bashing me and other member's much worse than just saying someone is a dumbass. Perhaps I should have worded my post better, but this symmetric kid deserves no respect regardless if he "helps" out some people. This is a forum and I stated MY opinion and agreed with someone else pointing out the fallacies in symetrics post.

symmetric, that's great and all if you would like to focus on a career instead of your 360, but that's not what this thread is about. You made the statement that you'll throw it out the window if you can't watch some movies with people in europe, not that you are going to play less to focus on real life. I like how you ignore the fact that you were wrong about the things you said and instead bring this holier than thou attitude that has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Alex5101
10-13-2008, 08:14 AM
You might as well bank on it. They charge for themes and pictures, it would be silly not to charge for character customization when they know it will sell.

Yes some will be free, and yes, some will have a fee. but I'm buying a damn Lancer damnit if they make one.

Yeah, I'm not going to keep my hopes up, but they did say that they'd release new clothes frequently that are free. I'm betting that you will see some special outfit things though that do cost money. Ah well.

wicked_d365
10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
You have to use the avatars. At least create one according to MS.

Xbox Experience: Avatars Required
Posted by Stephen Johnson - Friday, October 10, 2008 8:23 AM

Hey, Mr. Hardcore Gamer: When you update your Xbox this November 19th, but you don't want to have an avatar, because little cartoon representations of yourself are for babbies, you're out of luck. You will be required to choose an avatar.

But don't worry, according to Microsoft says it's possible to make an avatar that is "badass," plus, you can choose a pre-made one at random and never use it--but we have a feeling you will give your avatar a spin when no one is looking. No matter how hardcore you say you are, you won't be able to resist the urge to play with yourself!

Another interesting piece of info about avatars: Although clothing and accessories will be free at launch, they may start charging as time passes.

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/918/918113p1.html

Variation-XBA
10-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Hrm, they previously said that you can use your regular gamerpics should you choose in lieu of an avatar, maybe this has changed.

Shawn-XBA
10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Hrm, they previously said that you can use your regular gamerpics should you choose in lieu of an avatar, maybe this has changed.
No, you still can. You just need to create an avatar for the new friends list and for games like 1 vs 100 that uses the avatars. But you can still use your gamerpics that you've purchased.