PDA

View Full Version : final fantasy on xbox not so far fetched?

xboxmaster2002
03-08-2002, 04:11 PM
wow Final fantasy is officaly announced for the gamecube this could be good news for xbox could xbox be next heres the link.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/355/355167p1.html

xboxer2002
03-08-2002, 11:01 PM
Dude,
It'll never happen

Frostberg
03-08-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by xboxer2002
Dude,
It'll never happen

Why not? Dont you think by releasing FFXI on the XBox it will dramatically widen the people exposed to the series, which will not only sell more copies of FFXI, but will draw them into staying with the series for years to come...

TheCovenant
03-09-2002, 12:00 AM
My name is junior and i want to state an opinion on this ever delicate subject. The Final Fantasy Franchise has the ACTUAL power to MAKE or BRAKE a system. When the company left nintendo in 1995, and joined the Sony playstation, the playstation market boomed. Final Fantasy could even be, indirectly or even directly, the reason Playstion 2 even exists! The franchise became so popular that when the release of the dreamcast came in sept. 9, 1999...there were more poeple waiting inline for a game ( Final Fantasy 8 ) than a console. The game made more sold more than the console in the first three weeks! ( given that the console made more money , because it cost approximatly $190 more ). Anyway, with this kind of power behind a game, it is essential to the xbox's survival to aquire a squaresoft license onbaord for the xbox program. Playstation wants to launch final fantasy XI, as an internet title. Although Final fantasy X, was exclusive to the PLaystaion 2,( squaresoft would have expanded its vast empire of games to xbox, but, as you all heard, square was in serios money troubles due to square pictures and the loss over FINAL FANTASY THE SPIRITS WITHIN. Sony gave them money too climb out of they're hole, and in return, sqaure had to keep making games for the playstaion. When this was announced, however, the president of square, stated that they had to make games for playstation, it was never in the contract to make EXCLUSIVE GAMES.) FFXI, could be an internet launch title for the xbox in the future, if not just an internet game. Microsoft has been in talks with Square for a long time and the chances of them, NOT coming to the xbox are very slim. But, not impossible. The Game cube recently announced that square is onboard for the gamecube, but even the details on that are very dark. They would not give any details, and square neither confirmed nor denied this. Its obvios that Square wants to go online with its franchise, and whats the best video game system for that? you guessed it, the xbox. When square steps up to give further details gor the Final Fantasy on the cube, im sure their plan for the xbox, (whether there are none, or are ), will be given to the public. And if out of the blue, they decide to make xbox an outcast, we better all sit down and pray that grand theft auto four and metal gear solid 3, will be xbox releases, and i mean simultaneous releases, or we will have to depend on some magical, no name company to make an epic game. That or of course, halo 2 comes out like next year. ( VERY UNLIKELY )

Bakero
03-09-2002, 12:16 AM
;) :p :p ;)
Nintendo of America confirmed the news to IGNcube this morning, but offered no further details. Square US said it could neither confirm nor deny the news, but indicated it would have an official comment soon.

dude what the hell does that mean! Ok Ok… they IGN (<--- I don’t really trust these guys much, cough cough…Fox News…cough…sleezy), said that Nintendo confirmed it, and typed all that 5hit that it’s official and all that crap blah blah blah, makes it sound like it’s guaranteed and undeniable. Then, goes on saying “Square US said it could neither confirm nor deny”…CONFIRM OR DENY!? ahh dude I’m confused, is it a yes, no, maybe? What the hell does confirm or deny mean? If that’s what Square said I don’t think IGN should be ever so privilege to blurt out something that isn’t to certain.

:D :confused: :confused: :D

Highlite23
03-09-2002, 12:25 AM
Bakero here is an article,or you can use the link to go right to the source...........

http://money.iwon.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&news_id=reu-n08242924&feed=reu&date=20020308&cat=INDUSTRY

Square to release "Final Fantasy" for Nintendo

Friday March 8, 4:58 PM EST

By Ben Berkowitz

LOS ANGELES, March 8 (Reuters) - Japan's Square Co. Ltd. (9620), after a six-year absence, will return the legendary "Final Fantasy" video game series to Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s (7974) consoles, Nintendo said on Friday.

Confirming earlier reports in Japan, a Nintendo of America spokeswoman told Reuters that Square will set up a subsidiary to develop new versions of the series for Nintendo's GameCube console and Game Boy Advance handheld unit.

The development will be backed by Fund Q, a video game development fund started in January by Hiroshi Yamauchi, the long-time president of Nintendo.

Nintendo expects "Final Fantasy" titles for its consoles to be released by the end of the year, the spokeswoman said.

Jeetil Patel, an analyst at Deutsche Banc Alex. Brown who follows the game industry, said having "Final Fantasy" would probably help GameCube sales more in Japan than in the United States. "At the margin it probably helps modestly," he said.

"Final Fantasy X," released last year for Sony Corp.'s (6758) PlayStation 2, was one of the 20 best-selling video games in the United States in 2001, according to NPDFunworld, even though it was released in early December.

Even before "Final Fantasy X," the Final Fantasy series had sold 30 million copies worldwide since its inception.

Square had long developed "Final Fantasy" titles for Nintendo, going back to Nintendo's original Super Famicom and NES in the early 1980s, but in 1996 Square abandoned Nintendo to develop games for Sony's PlayStation platform.

At that time, some Japanese analysts said the defection of Square and other local publishers was a primary factor in PlayStation surpassing Nintendo's N64 console, which was more advanced than the PlayStation but also harder to develop for.

"Final Fantasy XI," the next title in the series, is expected to take advantage of the online multi-player features of the PS2 Sony unveiled on Thursday, and the Nintendo deal is not expected to stop further PS2 production.

A spokeswoman for Electronic Arts Inc. (ERTS), which co-published the game in the United States with Square under a joint venture, was not immediately available for comment on the Nintendo deal.

Sony in October invested 14.9 billion yen ($116 million) in Square, making it the company's second-largest shareholder. The infusion came after Square posted its worst-ever loss, caused by the production of a movie version of "Final Fantasy" that was a major commercial flop.

Nintendo's $199 GameCube was launched in the U.S. in November of last year. It competes with both the $299 PS2, which debuted in November 2000, and Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) Xbox, which was released three days before GameCube.

The $79 Game Boy Advance, a handheld system with as much power under the hood as Nintendo's early 1990s SNES console, dominates the handheld market globally, with almost no competition.

Dre
03-09-2002, 01:20 AM
Square needs money. They are in financial difficulty. Nintendo invests in them, they publish to Nintendo thus breaking the exclusive contract with Sony.

There is no reason anymore for them to NOT publish to all consoles. Money is money, and when you are in a great need of it to ensure the survival of your company/jobs you will use all means necessary. It would only be natural for Square to release to Xbox unless Nintendo added some kind of exclusivity agreement with Square to NOT publish to Xbox. We'll just have to wait and see!

Dar
03-09-2002, 02:56 AM
There is no doubt that we will see at the very least Final Fantasy XI on Xbox. The announcement that Square will develop for Gamecube has two main thrusts:

1: The announcement that a subsidiary of Square will develop "FF branded" merchandise for the Gamecube means that we will see FF related games on gamecube and GBA. GBA will receive things like FF adventure and other stuff but not the real deal Final Fantasy. Since Gamecube is a downer on internet play this means that we will see FFX or FFXII on gamecube. FFXI won't appear because of Nintendo's deemphasis on online play.

2: The deal means that Square is no longer exclusive to PS2. The implication is that a mainstream FF title (i.e. FFX, FFXII) will come to gamecube. If this is possible for gamecube, why not xbox?

Sony's plans for online play are a joke. It has been well established for a long time that Square will set up it's own network (Playonline) to handle FFXI internet play. The fact that developers set up their own networks for PS2 play combined with the fact that PS2 users will have to buy addons to make internet play possible will utimately kill PS2's online hopes. With PS2 out of the running, Square will turn to the console that was built for online play, namely Xbox. Taking points 1 and 2 into account, that is, FFXI wont come to Gamecube and Square is no longer exclusive, it is inevitable that we will see FFXI on Xbox. Expect an announcement, probably at E3, that FFXI will be coming to Xbox, and that FFX, which was previously known to be in development for the Xbox, will be released somtime in the future.

The advent of Final Fantasy on the xbox will ultimately be Sony's undoing. This series has legions of loyal fans who will adapt the new system just to play this one game. Microsoft has it in the bag. This is why they are not sweating the problems with the Japanese technical problems. The only reason they hold back is the fact that they will lose more money on systems that are sold early in the life cycle of the console. When Xbox is cheaper to produce, and the profit margin (or loss) is greater (less), expect news that will sell the Xbox like hotcakes and increase Microsoft's bottom line.

Mark my words. FF is not just a possibility for Xbox, it is a reality. Only time will tell the truth.

FuNkY mOnK
03-09-2002, 10:36 AM
Square soft should open shop under a new name-drop the anchor Sony and join the elite with the like of blue box, bungie, bioware.

Koopa
03-09-2002, 11:06 AM
The Final Fantasy Franchise has the ACTUAL power to MAKE or BRAKE a system

its spelled break:D hehe why haven't you posted on the boards more man?

anyyway.

1: The announcement that a subsidiary of Square will develop "FF branded" merchandise for the Gamecube means that we will see FF related games on gamecube and GBA. GBA will receive things like FF adventure and other stuff but not the real deal Final Fantasy. Since Gamecube is a downer on internet play this means that we will see FFX or FFXII on gamecube. FFXI won't appear because of Nintendo's deemphasis on online play.

i think everyone misunderstands nintendo's online strategy...its not so much of "its bad" as "we don't think its the future of gaming but if everyone else does it, hell we'll do it too." What better to get an installed user base of the online hardware than a giant like FF? If Nintendo's internet launch has FFXI, PSOv2, and maybe a Nintendo exclusive...then hell, they'll get HUGE numbers of people with modems to be used in future projects.

[edit]-GAHHHH POST NUMBER 666!!!! AFDHAFHADHFSA!!

*devil incarnate pops out of chest*
blaaarghghghg!!!FDSAZG!

*AGHHH*

must...use...whats left of my willpower...to get another post......

[edit]whew that was close

Koopa
03-09-2002, 11:23 AM
*getting rid of 666*

TheCovenant
03-10-2002, 09:49 PM
Man, if theres anything i hate more than gamecube evil marketing strategies, its koopa with the xbox logo right behind it.
Anyway since this thread actually got some descent writers ( and none of that Gamecube has FF! nee ner nee ner neeeeee ner....) i think i will post something. Has anyone read the OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE, APRIL ISSUE? Man, they got some exciting news for for our beloved little green box (xbox ). First off, man, have you guys seen or heard anything about, Star WARS: knights of the old republic? That makes final fantasy 8-10 look llike trash.
But, if you dont like star wars and youre totally against everything that could possibly outdue final fantasy ( dont hold your breath though, cause even if this doesnt outdo ff, you still got marrowind, and project ego on the way ), then i have some very curious news. It seems seamus (shame-us) Blackley, ( one of the fathers of the xbox who was actually there at its inception, went to speak to A VERY RESPECTED DEVELOPMENT TEAM, a team that has been instrumental to the success of another platform, and ultimatly a team that has decided to MOVE to xbox. He says that there are seven , very important games, 4 which belong in the " i didnt think they could do that " category. And all this plus other very important things from companies such as Capcom, konami, and namco will all be announced at E3 and not a day before, even the Official Xbox Magazine's famous rumor mole is keeping his mouth shut.........so after e3 this year, all of us who have been patient playing games like halo and DOA3, will finally be paid in full for their 300 bucks well spent.

Dre
03-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
It seems seamus (shame-us) Blackley, ( one of the fathers of the xbox who was actually there at its inception, went to speak to A VERY RESPECTED DEVELOPMENT TEAM, a team that has been instrumental to the success of another platform, and ultimatly a team that has decided to MOVE to xbox. He says that there are seven , very important games, 4 which belong in the " i didnt think they could do that " category. And all this plus other very important things from companies such as Capcom, konami, and namco will all be announced at E3 and not a day before, even the Official Xbox Magazine's famous rumor mole is keeping his mouth shut.........so after e3 this year, all of us who have been patient playing games like halo and DOA3, will finally be paid in full for their 300 bucks well spent.

WOWSERS... now that kind of info gets me psyched about so many different things.. I can't wait for the E3 announcements.. now if we could only find a way to speed up time till then.... I just subscribed to OXM cuz of this post :)

greggp666
03-10-2002, 10:01 PM
why sould we care about ffX or ffXI? in a few months we will have 3 kick ass rpg games

morrowind
project ego
starwars knights of the old republic

all this games will kill so boo hoo hoo if you really want FF part whatever.what is up to FF4200 same as part 8 right:eek:

Zen
03-10-2002, 10:05 PM
to be honest i dont think theres been a decent final fantasy game made since it was on nintendo...

the general public was lulled into thinking that all that FMV and nice graphics made a good roleplaying game. im sorry but id rather play chrono trigger or ff2 or ff3

Square no longer has the power to "make or brake a system" unless they crawl back out of that hole and make another new killer game... Final fantasy is dying out
and none to soon

linkycat
03-10-2002, 10:27 PM
Chrono Trigger. Now that was a sweet set of RPGs. Why can't they make more games like that!

And in all due respect... let's not forget that Nintendo had one HORRIBLE Final Fantasy RPG for the good ol' Super Nes. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Now that was a piece. AND I really do enjoy FF7 and FF8. They were a good time!

I'd like to see Square start off with a brand new project for XBOX though. Something groundbreaking for a groundbreaking machine. It could be an RPG, I'd like that... just a thought...

Anywho... if it comes to XBOX great... if not... oh well not as great... We can still laugh at the rest of the world as we are playin Project Ego.

Of course that's just my opinion.. I could be wrong.

Dre
03-10-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Zen
to be honest i dont think theres been a decent final fantasy game made since it was on nintendo...

the general public was lulled into thinking that all that FMV and nice graphics made a good roleplaying game. im sorry but id rather play chrono trigger or ff2 or ff3

Square no longer has the power to "make or brake a system" unless they crawl back out of that hole and make another new killer game... Final fantasy is dying out
and none to soon

Dude... I believe everyone's allowed their own opinion so don't take this as a diss, but thats a dumb comment. The general public was not lulled into thinking anything. FF simply continues to evolve, its the natural progression of the game.

Myself, I love the FF series for the captivating stories. Not everyone reads the same genre of book, so I understand how some ppl couldn't care at all about the FF series. Because thats basically what it is now, an interactive story... and its told very beautifully IMHO.

However, to say that Square has not made a decent FF game since Nintendo is a very bold statement. I loved FFVII for example and have finished it over 5 times because I love the story. FFX had ppl sleeping outside of stores the night of the release so I would hardly call it a dying series. I watched my buddy play the 1st hour or so of the game and I must say I was enthralled and wished it would come to XBox so I could play. I won't dish out $$ to buy a PS2 to only play 1 game, but I'm **** near close... :)

So if FFX was brought to the XBOX I would buy it. If FFXI was published for XBOX I would buy it. If they charged a monthly fee for XI I'd try it. Thats because thats the kind of game I love!

If someone doesn't enjoy the series, don't diss it and claim retarded conspirary theories of Square trying to lull gamers into thinking things. Thats my beef :)

Koopa
03-10-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by TheCovenant
Man, if theres anything i hate more than gamecube evil marketing strategies, its koopa with the xbox logo right behind it.
Anyway since this thread actually got some descent writers ( and none of that Gamecube has FF! nee ner nee ner neeeeee ner....) i think i will post something. Has anyone read the OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE, APRIL ISSUE? Man, they got some exciting news for for our beloved little green box (xbox ). First off, man, have you guys seen or heard anything about, Star WARS: knights of the old republic? That makes final fantasy 8-10 look llike trash.
But, if you dont like star wars and youre totally against everything that could possibly outdue final fantasy ( dont hold your breath though, cause even if this doesnt outdo ff, you still got marrowind, and project ego on the way ), then i have some very curious news. It seems seamus (shame-us) Blackley, ( one of the fathers of the xbox who was actually there at its inception, went to speak to A VERY RESPECTED DEVELOPMENT TEAM, a team that has been instrumental to the success of another platform, and ultimatly a team that has decided to MOVE to xbox. He says that there are seven , very important games, 4 which belong in the " i didnt think they could do that " category. And all this plus other very important things from companies such as Capcom, konami, and namco will all be announced at E3 and not a day before, even the Official Xbox Magazine's famous rumor mole is keeping his mouth shut.........so after e3 this year, all of us who have been patient playing games like halo and DOA3, will finally be paid in full for their 300 bucks well spent.

its not green its black, its not little its big, and its not marrowwind its morrowind:D all that and your personal insult on my kickass avatar aside, i agree. That respected development team could only be squaresoft i think....i mean, what other company (thats not 2nd party) was instrumental to the success of any console? and now that they've shown they're about as loyal to sony as a man is to a cheap hoe (sorry for the bad metaphor), theres no reason not to develop for xbox. with metroid, mario, zelda, and eternal darkness from nintendo, and ego, brute force, and all these secret announcements from MS, E3 is gonna be killer:D

TheCovenant
03-10-2002, 11:02 PM
Alright, to tell you guys the truth, linkycat, zen, and dre we are three poeple. Sure we have opinions and we like them to get heard, but regard less of what we think of a game, it doesnt matter. The market for the final fantasy franchise has a big, BIG following. Whether or not we like, the sales would still be phenomenol, and some hardcore loyal fans would actually dishout the extra 300 hundred bucks to play it with better graphics and a voice communicater. hell, i might even do that ( but i did the smart thing and baoght an xbox first ). So, try to realize the importance of this to the xbox, but if you think about it logically, microsoft definitly has this one in the bag. Dont sweat it you guys, xbox offline games are only the begginig.

TheCovenant
03-10-2002, 11:05 PM
man, i got all hyped from this thread, and believe me, its hard to get me hyped. And koopa, go to hell i can call it whatever i want...................................lol. Yes all that and koopa with an xbox logo in the backgound????? The world is ending.

Koopa
03-10-2002, 11:10 PM
koopa and the X was the first sign of the apocolypse, nintendo and square was the second...whats next?:D

And koopa, go to hell i can call it whatever i want...................................

can you call it a "asfdojadsfsaf-box" ? yeah i didnt think so:p

TRUE_GAMER
03-11-2002, 12:12 AM
I'm a big fan of RPG's and for me it doesn't matter what system they come for cause I have both the Cube and the XBOX. Dude that would be sweet if they came out with FF, and Chrono Trigger, and Chrono Cross for any of these systems. I would most def. buy them. Can't wait any longer!:eek:

JJaX
03-11-2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Dre

Dude... I believe everyone's allowed their own opinion so don't take this as a diss, but thats a dumb comment. The general public was not lulled into thinking anything. FF simply continues to evolve, its the natural progression of the game.

Myself, I love the FF series for the captivating stories. Not everyone reads the same genre of book, so I understand how some ppl couldn't care at all about the FF series. Because thats basically what it is now, an interactive story... and its told very beautifully IMHO.

However, to say that Square has not made a decent FF game since Nintendo is a very bold statement. I loved FFVII for example and have finished it over 5 times because I love the story. FFX had ppl sleeping outside of stores the night of the release so I would hardly call it a dying series. I watched my buddy play the 1st hour or so of the game and I must say I was enthralled and wished it would come to XBox so I could play. I won't dish out $$ to buy a PS2 to only play 1 game, but I'm **** near close... :)

So if FFX was brought to the XBOX I would buy it. If FFXI was published for XBOX I would buy it. If they charged a monthly fee for XI I'd try it. Thats because thats the kind of game I love!

If someone doesn't enjoy the series, don't diss it and claim retarded conspirary theories of Square trying to lull gamers into thinking things. Thats my beef :)

Right on man!
I think the peeps who dislike FF just lack the imagination the games create so they dont get into them, or there just Lie about even playing the games. Every FF game has been good to me and i would love to have one on my Xbox. Hell, Im even thinking about getting a PS2 just for FF X.

Get this straight people, Elder scrolls and Project ego are nothing like FF games (not that its a bad thing). So these RPGS wont satistfy FF fans needs. That is why you see so many threads on this topic. Because FF fans like myself are praying that Square joins us. While the people that never played FF games are saying dont worry were getting great games too. Great, Yes, Final fantasy, NO. (they just will never get it til they play it)

Here let me put it in other words for those who still dont get why we are sad about not having FF on xbox.

Imagine your 14 again and your punk ass is in the arcades and you stumble upon Mortal Kombat. Your like" Whoooa this game kicks ass" but you find out its not coming to your Neo Geo. But some kids keep saying, "Dont worry dude, neo geo is getting Samurai showdown and its gonna be just as good." Yeah same genre but not mortal kombat.

Does this help clear anything Up Yet?

Now imagine you've played the last 8 versions of a running series and loved all of them but the latest one isnt coming your system. pi55ed off? You better be.

nick san
03-11-2002, 10:35 AM
I think Square would benefit by making the FF spin off series on XBox and GC. They would get double the money as people will buy it due to the FF name, regardless of quality.

They should release FF11 as an Xbox game as well. Only about 1 in 15 people will be willing to buy a PS2 modem to go online. That is a pretty large majority who wont upgrade. But if put on XBox then more people will buy it as the modem is already available to them.

JJaX
03-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by nick san
I think Square would benefit by making the FF spin off series on XBox and GC. They would get double the money as people will buy it due to the FF name, regardless of quality.

They should release FF11 as an Xbox game as well. Only about 1 in 15 people will be willing to buy a PS2 modem to go online. That is a pretty large majority who wont upgrade. But if put on XBox then more people will buy it as the modem is already available to them.

Square needs to grow some balls and leave sony.

Dre
03-11-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

Square needs to grow some balls and leave sony.

I agree, and they did! We at least know that much (the whole nintendo deal). Don't forget that Sony owns part of Square... not enough to make important decisions however... only 19%. This was taken from an article last october:

Following yesterday's announcement of Sony's purchase of some 19% of Square's stock, the electronics giant and company behind the FF series hosted a Q&A session for the press.

SCE pres Ken Kutagari was keen to place emphasis on the idea that Sony would not be putting Square under pressure to make it's games exclusive to Sony's platforms. This fit rather snugly with Sqaure president Neo Suzuki's idea that Square will continue to make games for whichever platform is the most successful, that being the PlayStation and PS2 at present.

So ya.. its basically a wait and see. I haven't been able to find any news about the contract between Sony and Square regarding FFX. I guess Square will be announcing at E3

kornavs19
03-11-2002, 03:35 PM
How many more FF's are they goanna come out with. And basically if Sony ons part of Square then if we by FF Sony makes a profit to...

Dre
03-11-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by lmpbzktnkorn23
How many more FF's are they goanna come out with. And basically if Sony ons part of Square then if we by FF Sony makes a profit to...

They are currently on development on XI and XII so at least two more :) Probably a couple after that, but just gonna have to wait and see. And yeah, Sony gets $$ if Xbox gets FF I think thats why they don't mind all that much.