PDA

View Full Version : Win a Custom Gears of War Console

hellonearth159
10-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Check out xbox.com for a contest sponsored by Saw V and Gears of War 2
Enter Contest Here (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/g/gearsofwar/saw5playandwin/default.htm)
The grand prize is a custom GOW 2 Console!!!
http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/6BABD4F1-CEFF-47E8-AEB6-A5499B9C8E2C/0/ilmprize2.jpg

GamerSince'76
10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
The grand price is obviously sweet but first prize is excellent too. :cheers:

SpaceGhost2K
10-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Just a note: that ends only about three hours from now, so:

1) Register at 159's link
2) Play a multiplayer online game before Midnight west coast time.

JakofallAces
10-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Just a note: that ends only about three hours from now, so:

1) Register at 159's link
2) Play a multiplayer online game before Midnight west coast time.

damn my underageness and stupid making a real account not some 136 year old account

Ranzo
10-21-2008, 10:43 PM
no love for canada of course.

GamerSince'76
10-21-2008, 11:48 PM
no love for canada of course.

Yeah I usually don't even bother clicking on the rules anymore. I know we aren't eligable.

gameking28
10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Microsoft doesn't like NAFTA eh? :rofl:

You would think it wouldn't be all that difficult to ship a console/game/etc. to Canada - I wonder why they have such a problem with it?

SpaceGhost2K
10-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Microsoft doesn't like NAFTA eh? :rofl:

You would think it wouldn't be all that difficult to ship a console/game/etc. to Canada - I wonder why they have such a problem with it?

Royalties, copyright laws, trademarks etc. are all tied to a particular country. They can't do a contest in the US with all the legalities and just add another country.

Doesn't Xbox.ca do contests? They wouldn't accept US entries.

I can't go into details, but I'm working with my friend/artist/partner in crime over in Germany on a game pitch. We had to look at characters that didn't have current active copyrights. We found out that one of the characters we wanted to use was in the public domain in most of the world, but it was still under copyright in the UK until 2012. Therefore, we had no choice except to eliminate that character as an option. The alternative would have meant that if we completed the game as it was, we wouldn't be able to sell it in the UK until 2012 - OR - had we not caught it and sold the game, we could have been sued by the copyright holder for insane amounts of money.

Contests have rules because there are laws that have have to be obeyed, and those laws are different in every country. The work they'd have to go through to make sure they were following the rules in another country would probably cost more than the prizes they're giving out.

I did it with my contest because I'm an individual who secured the prize and did the shipping. And, truthfully, I assumed the risk of fallout from it. MS isn't going to assume that risk.

Variation-XBA
10-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Doesn't Xbox.ca do contests? They wouldn't accept US entries.

We get MAYBE 1 for every 10 you get, and they are nowhere near as frequent and usually nowhere near as good