PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 Looks Better on the 360

GamerSince'76
10-22-2008, 12:20 PM
No surprise here that yet another AAA multiplatform title looks better on the 360:

http://www.lazygamer.co.za/xbox-360/ps3-compares-poorly-to-the-360-on-fallout-3-according-to-the-playstation-magazine

PS3 compares poorly to the 360 on Fallout 3 – According to the PlayStation Magazine
LazySAGamer - October 22nd, 2008 at 12:28 pm - 4,194 views - 12 Comments

And here we go again another AAA cross platform title is being reported as looking better on the 360 and PC compared to the PS3.

What makes this even more believable is that this is being reported by PSM, in their very own words

“"Fallout 3’s world looks incredible, tinged by the chill of the desolate, post-apocalyptic emptiness. But sadly, the PS3 version compares poorly to it’s Xbox and Pc counterparts. It’s not a deal breaker, but clearly the PS3 wasn’t the lead platform - disappointing, since Oblivion looked better on the PS3.”

Can I get the usual complaints out of the way now not to waste time?

We can blame the bad / lazy / stupid developers who didn’t understand the platform except that these are the guys who did so well with Oblivion on the PS3…

How about we start up the conspiracy engine and say that Microsoft has paid Bethesda to make sure that the PS3 version looks worse.. well it would have to be a lot of money to make a company gimp their own product.

No I think the reality is a little simpler than that and a lot worse for Sony, the 360 and PC development processes are very similar and as such it makes sense to lead on the PC and port to the 360 and polish it then. However porting to the PS3 is a bit more difficult and seeing that the PC and 360 markets are substantially larger than the PS3 market which version do you think the developers are going to be spend more time on?

Can Sony fix this? I honestly don’t know, it is a worry and I am hoping that with the exclusives they have they can force a market change to ensure that the games keep on coming thick and fast to both platforms.

However if you are thinking of getting Fallout 3 and have a choice it has suddenly become obvious which version you should be getting.

Symmetric-XBA
10-22-2008, 12:34 PM
that makes sense to a point. I wouldn't go so far as to say that MS paid bethesda to make it worse on the ps3, bethesda is still about making money so why would they do that and hurt part of their profit margin? Besides if that were true, then oblivion wouldn't be better looking on ps3. Coding and development for blu-ray is a lot harder and some developers do not want to invest the time and effort into doing this, hence the reason for soooooo many good games coming exclusively to the 360. This however, is something that is gonna rock the gaming world here soon as I seriously doubt that MS will take a non-hd format for their next system and thus developers will be forced to code and develop in hd format. This could cause major issues as far as release dates go, i mean right now there are some games that take multiple years to develop just for a standard 360 disc (don't even get me started on too human's 10yr life cycle lol). So who knows what the future will bring, except for that the games will be getting better, however, I think that they will take A LOT longer to develop which means that we as gamers will have to be even more paitent.

Clintman
10-22-2008, 09:50 PM
They wouldn't be paid off, for sure. It would be profit, but what if word leaked? They would probably be sued, Microsoft would be sued, and there would be loads of horrible press. It would be a stupid move on everybody's part.

GamerSince'76
10-22-2008, 10:01 PM
that makes sense to a point. I wouldn't go so far as to say that MS paid bethesda to make it worse on the ps3, bethesda is still about making money so why would they do that and hurt part of their profit margin? Besides if that were true, then oblivion wouldn't be better looking on ps3. Coding and development for blu-ray is a lot harder and some developers do not want to invest the time and effort into doing this, hence the reason for soooooo many good games coming exclusively to the 360. This however, is something that is gonna rock the gaming world here soon as I seriously doubt that MS will take a non-hd format for their next system and thus developers will be forced to code and develop in hd format. This could cause major issues as far as release dates go, i mean right now there are some games that take multiple years to develop just for a standard 360 disc (don't even get me started on too human's 10yr life cycle lol). So who knows what the future will bring, except for that the games will be getting better, however, I think that they will take A LOT longer to develop which means that we as gamers will have to be even more paitent.

It has a lot to do with the PS3 being more difficult to program for and the fact that console is being outsold heavily by the 360. Sure the PS3 is "future proof" but the problem is that the console is proving not to be "now proof".

By the time games start looking good on the PS3 and the console reaches it's full potential, the next version of the 360 will be out and Sony will still be playing catch up.

Mendo
10-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Im still picking up the ps3 version.

GamerSince'76
10-22-2008, 11:21 PM
SOCOM Confrontation is another PS3 game that was released with online problems. The problem with that is that the game is online only.

Link to reviews which are poor:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/socomconfrontation

If Sony can't make SOCOM into a good game, they have real problems.

Symmetric-XBA
10-22-2008, 11:50 PM
I'd like to know besides metal gear solid 4 what blockbuster or "system seller" titles does the ps3 exclusivly offer?

GamerSince'76
10-23-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd like to know besides metal gear solid 4 what blockbuster or "system seller" titles does the ps3 exclusivly offer?

Other than Resistance which was a launch game, nothing. HS and Motorstorm are average. Lair, SOCOM and Haze bombed.

Ainokeatoo
10-23-2008, 03:32 AM
Everyone already knows, most of the cross platform games are designed based on the 360 then ported, it's much easier to make games on the 360 compared to the PS3 as it's a lot more simple than the PS3's. So if this is Cross Platform and was ported to PS3 then that's the reason why the 360 version will look better. This is always the case when cross platform games are ported from 360. Also...

God Damnit, why the hell do they make it like that its stupid. The ps3 is more powerfull that the 360 so it should be better. Im sure microsoft do a sneaky deal to make the ps3 version suck :(

These statements make me hate being a gamer, because there are people like this who 'have' to be such a damn fanboy that they'd suspect MS or any gaming company would do that.

ps3 maybe more powerful, but it is harder to develop on and it would cost more to lead with. powerful isn’t always better. David vs. Goliath. Who cares about the specs its about the games. For me Fable, Left 4 Dead and Gears beats LBP, and Resistance. Socom sucks I’ve played it. xbox has got 3 potential games of the year and the ps3 has LBP(great game) and maybe Resistance but i doubt it. Plus xbox’s back catalog is the best. Right now i can’t justify getting a ps3 especially with all this talk of multiplatform games being better on the 360. Plus bioshock has been out for over a year on the xbox so don’t act like it is an exclusive.

Then people who say things like this make me hope in the future of gaming in society.

Ainokeatoo
10-23-2008, 03:35 AM

LMFAO Let's see... Nothing really lmao, maybe, FFXIII... Oh wait, nope, we stole that. =/ hm.

CrazyCougar
10-23-2008, 06:31 AM
You guys hit it right on the head as to why the game looks better on the 360. Coders have mentioned numerous times that the 360 is much easier to work with and code than the PS3. Its seems to be the system of choice now to create a game for many devs.

As for Sony's online...You get what you pay for. Oh yeah, its free, so no wonder its laggy and problematic.

Ainokeatoo
10-23-2008, 06:59 AM
You guys hit it right on the head as to why the game looks better on the 360. Coders have mentioned numerous times that the 360 is much easier to work with and code than the PS3. Its seems to be the system of choice now to create a game for many devs.

As for Sony's online...You get what you pay for. Oh yeah, its free, so no wonder its laggy and problematic.

Yes sir, which is why, in comparisons, with games that are on both PS3 and Xbox. Xbox always outshines the PS3 simply because the game is basically being ported to the 360. Honestly, I think that's exactly the reason why a lot of games are shared between the consoles. To much work to do to make a single PS3 game and get mediocre results. When they can just port games putting the same amount of work getting tremendously better results. I also think it's one of the reasons why there are few exclusives for the PS3 and the few that are for the PS3 are just not what they could be.

You can see this through what happened with Square Enix and FF, a year ago or so, the president, publicly announced that Final Fantasy 13 would be exclusive to the PS3 to stomp down the rumors of there being a 360 version, just to announce a year later that it would also be available on the 360 (which to be honest, made me laugh my ass off when I read how pissed off the FF/PS3 fanboys were on the PS3 forums.).

Variation-XBA
10-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Keep in mind that the 360 version will be having exclusive download content much like GTA4

GamerSince'76
10-24-2008, 12:03 AM
There was no reason for Haze to be such a complete flop. As a former PS3 owner, Lair was supposed to be our Halo in terms of Blockbuster hit. The game was a complete unplayable mess even after the patch. Motorstorm looked great but 8 tracks one way and then reveresed = :sleeping:. Then in most races you couldn't even choose your vehicle. Now SOCOM Confrontation bombed too. Will God of War get screwed up too?

Heavenly Sword was average and MGS4 is an interactive movie. Multiplatform games time and time again look better on the 360 and of course have much better online capabilities. I never would have believed with such an unstoppable console that the PS2 was that the PS3 would end up like this. I also wonder if the 360 wasn't synonymous with the term RRoD, how many more consoles MS would be selling.

OBL infad3ll
10-24-2008, 12:12 AM

Little big planet!! im not a huge PS3 person but LBP is super fun! its only proble is it cant provide a marathon gaming session kind of fun. it gets kind of old after a couple of hours. but its still cool. other than that PS3s got nothing worth playing.

killzone 2 looks really cool also, but taking consideration in the amount of times it has been delayed, it probably will never be released in our lifetimes.

Ainokeatoo
10-24-2008, 06:50 AM
This is why, I call the PS3 a cheap computer system with over priced games... I am not a fanboy by any standards. If the PS3 had any really good titles, you'd bet your left testicle i'd have it. But really, the only thing I would have really ever picked up a PS3 for, well, two things. Would have been Final Fantasy 13 and any really over the top awesome game/games I would think would be worth it. But since Final fantasy is coming to the xbox, and no really over the top awesome game/games have come out for it. No matter how nice it'd be to be able to surf the internet, go around looking at trophies, or chatting it up in a 3D chatroom with other people. It's not worth the buy.

GamerSince'76
10-24-2008, 05:43 PM
I would have kept my PS3 if multiplatform games were at least equal to their 360 counterpart. All the exclusives IMHO were huge letdowns except for Resistance but it was nothing special. MGS4 was the biggest letdown. Great graphics but the so called cover system was poorly done. Aiming and shooting was average and selecting weapons and items was a chore. Sure the story was great the first time through but replaying the game, you just want to skip the cut-scenes and when you do you are left with half a game. If Hideo put half the effort into the cover system and selecting items/weapons as he did making eggs look realistic when frying, MGS4 would have been a lot better and a character farting throughout the game...:bang:

Symmetric-XBA
10-24-2008, 06:22 PM
I would have kept my PS3 if multiplatform games were at least equal to their 360 counterpart. All the exclusives IMHO were huge letdowns except for Resistance but it was nothing special. MGS4 was the biggest letdown. Great graphics but the so called cover system was poorly done. Aiming and shooting was average and selecting weapons and items was a chore. Sure the story was great the first time through but replaying the game, you just want to skip the cut-scenes and when you do you are left with half a game. If Hideo put half the effort into the cover system and selecting items/weapons as he did making eggs look realistic when frying, MGS4 would have been a lot better and a character farting throughout the game...:bang:

Didn't Hideo say that he was upset that he had to "waterdown" MGS4?

GamerSince'76
10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Didn't Hideo say that he was upset that he had to "waterdown" MGS4?

Yes but overall not specifically in terms of cut scenes:

http://kotaku.com/381412/kojima-disappointed-with-metal-gear-solid-4

It was the voice of Snake (David Hayter) who critisized the plot. When I was playing there was about 3-4 times I thought that was the end of the game only to have it go on. Maybe for some it was suspenseful but I was praying for the end already.

Kojima was like a mad scientist run amok. Even click on that link and seeing Sunny makes me want to puke. The database was a joke. It had more branches than Los Angeles has streets.