PDA

View Full Version : Aino's guide to keeping your accounts safe on the net!

Ainokeatoo
11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
As you well know, internet security is an oxymoron at best, anyone can get their hands on to anything they want, they just need to know what they're doing to do so.

"But Aino, why are you posting this? There are so many guides to this on the internet, why are you wasting your time?"

Because, we have kids who frequent XBA and moderately clueless adults who do as well.

"So what are you trying to guide us to doing in this thing?"

Basically keeping your xbox live/any account online and any personal information, to yourself and out of the hands of anyone that might want it. (sickos)

"Show us already!"

Shut up and I will!

Any who, the reason I am posting this really is because i've noticed a growing trend in some kids even adults (to an extent) want to give away their xbox live accounts to people so those people can get their accounts certain things. Be it some kind of hack, or a boost in gamerscore, or even some download. To be honest, it's a real load of bull, but some people are lured into such ploys.

How to keep your accounts safe:
1.) Never, ever, never, ever, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER. Give away your password to ANYONE even those you trust.

2.) Do not be lured into shams such as being promised something for nothing. If they need your account to 'boost your scores' or anything of the sort. Then it's not worth it, even if you think you can trust them.

Because anyone can turn against you, not to say everyone will, but be wary on who you trust and how much, especially in the online world.

3.) Do not allow your children to see your personal details, e-mail, e-mail password, credit card, etc.

Your kids do not need to know anything on your xbox live account or any account you may have that you are letting them use, but is yours. It'd be just as bad showing them where to find your information or giving them your information, as it would be just handing them your credit card

How to prevent in family online xbox oopsies:

PARENTAL CONTROL PARENTAL CONTROL PARENTAL CONTROL

Parental control is the feature that will limit certain things on your xbox/xbox live profile.

The way to get to the controls *new dashboard*

1.)Turn on the console
2.)Scroll to My Xbox
3.)Scroll right until the end.
4.)Click settings
5.)Click Family Controls
6.)Now depending on whether you want to set up a new profile for your child or someone to that extent, or you use the console for multiple gamers (more than two individuals).
7.)For a new parental locked profile, click xbox live controls.
8.)For multiple gamers, click console control.

Again the best rule to follow and the best advice you will ever get, is NEVER give out your personal information NO MATTER what. Especially you kiddies, don't be fooled by people, if you want that awesome achievement in such and such game. Earn it, get better at the game and earn it yourself, it makes you feel good when you actually do it yourself instead of having someone else try to do it then it turns out that they screw you over for something that you could have prevented. Try to explain that one to Mommy and Daddy and see if they'll ever let you back on the computer/xbox.

Good gaming to all of you! Stay safe.

*This has been a public service announcement, thank you for your time, we wish you a good day back to our regularly scheduled program.*

wicked_d365
11-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Good advice to people who are new/unfamiliar with the internet and XBL. Good post.

Ninja Scroll
11-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Just for taking the time to write all of this Kam needs to put you on the work for free XBA Mod payroll! You got my vote junior! :cheers:

LINKINPARK8591
11-21-2008, 11:01 PM
good post there, very informative especially for people that don't know about protecting personal information.

Ainokeatoo
11-22-2008, 03:23 AM
good post there, very informative especially for people that don't know about protecting personal information.

Yeah, whenever I google most things related to gaming whatnot I always at least find a few forums where a little brother or a child, even a room mate. Gives away some personal information, usually to someone who promised something in return or something similar. Some people who might frequent here don't know how to prevent it. Even though mostly anything you take with you onto the internet isn't one hundred percent safe, people can take measures.

On a lighter note, thanks guys for the nice comments lol.

Variation-XBA
11-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Nice job mentioning the parental controlls. This is also good if you have roomates and want your xbox to be your own.

Aino, can I have your password? ;)

Ainokeatoo
11-22-2008, 04:29 PM
Nice job mentioning the parental controlls. This is also good if you have roomates and want your xbox to be your own.

Aino, can I have your password? ;)

I thought I mentioned the roomies thing, oh well, lol.

Password? What's a password?

(Playing stupid always helps hint hint)

hostchecker
11-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Thanks that is helpful
http://photosnag.com/img/837/t08j1110iyaz/cool.gif