PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed to be held back to build anticipation

Nurb
12-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Speaking with Forbes, Ubisoft's president of North America, Laurent Detoc, explained the company's new policy of delaying game sequels in order to build up anticipation and increase demand.

According to Detoc, this new direction is the result of their experience with the first Prince Of Persia trilogy. The 2 sequels, PoP: Warrior Within and Pop: The Two Thrones sold sell, but didn't match the sales of the first title in the series, PoP: Sands Of Time. Ubisoft decided to hold back the fourth Prince Of Persia title until it was released a few days ago.

The same goes for the first Assassin's Creed sequel. "When we bring it back, there will be more anticipation for it," Detoc says.

http://megagames.com/news/html/console/ubisoftexplainswhyassassinscreed2wontbesoon.shtml

I don't think the big companies should be doing games anymore..

gameking28
12-12-2008, 05:43 AM
All this time in the industry and they think the only thing that creates sales for a game is the amount of time gamers are kept waiting? A box full of crap that you've waited a year for is still a box of crap.

I'm with you Nurb. Companies like Ubisoft have no business continuing on if they think a games success relies on something as trivial as the amount of time gamers have to wait for it.
Now if they delay it to make it a better game, THAT'S a different story.

Unreal
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
I think the problem is more with pumping out sequels on a yearly basis, then it is to cause demand. If they give gamers more then a year to enjoy the game they wouldn't have to worry about the demand for sequel being there. I am getting burned out on Call of Duty. They are releasing them once a year, which is insane. Spend the extra time creating the sequel and have a better game in the long run rather then a bad game that is done but your holding onto it.

MXracer721
12-12-2008, 07:57 PM
This seems like a good idea to me, many of my reasons for thinking this have already been said. If there is more time in between games you are more than likely going to get a "true" sequel instead of a game that just has some added features.

Clintman
12-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Now if they delay it to make it a better game, THAT'S a different story.

Well, wouldn't taking a longer time making it mean that they won't need to delay it as they've already had more time to work on it? If you ask me, it's a good idea. This way, they won't wear the series out, and fans will have a longer time to appreciate it and want more. Would you rather wait 3 years for a well done sequel, or 1 year, then a year delay, then another delay, and then a half-assed game because they were pressured to release it by greedy fans?

Nurb
12-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Well, wouldn't taking a longer time making it mean that they won't need to delay it as they've already had more time to work on it? If you ask me, it's a good idea. This way, they won't wear the series out, and fans will have a longer time to appreciate it and want more. Would you rather wait 3 years for a well done sequel, or 1 year, then a year delay, then another delay, and then a half-assed game because they were pressured to release it by greedy fans?

the point of the whole thing is that the game is done, but they are just sitting on it to make people 'want it more'. Its stupid, I'll wait till its in the bargin bin just so they can 'aticipate my cash'

Besides, they think the two pop sequels didn't sell because they were released to soon.. it couldn't possibly be because they were both crappier than the original :rolleyes:

Yahtzee puts it better than I can
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/183-Prince-of-Persia-Retrospective

pastries r fun
12-14-2008, 11:02 AM
thanks just stupid, they havent said anything about a sequel, so how are they supposed to build anticipation for it without advertising and teaser trailers. thats a terrible idea and i dont even know if i will get it anymore if the game developers are so damn greedy

Flood
12-15-2008, 10:13 PM
this is what they seem to be doing with Lost, but in the end, people just forget about it and you lose fans