PDA

View Full Version : Alrighty guys I now need some help.

Ainokeatoo
03-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm about to replace my old router/modem with this new modem/router. Both came with installation discs, now, i'm using this for Wireless, and the modem instructions state I should install the disc if i'm using the modem for USB or Ethernet. I'm technically using the ethernet as it's going to the router. As you can see I have no idea what in the hell i'm talking about, so if someone can tell me if I need to install this CD or if I can just skip ahead hook up the router and modem and install the CD for the router.

Variation-XBA
03-20-2009, 10:10 PM
You shouldn't NEED the cd's but if you can't getit going, they usually have a walkthrough/setup feature if you can't get it going

Hurr0
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Depending on what kind of router you purchased it should be plug and play, and you can therefor setup a wireless connection through the modem IP address. If you don't have a plug and play modem, you should be fine on installing the CD's after the hardware once all the connections have been established.

It should go something like this

Power AC Adapter---> Router
Phone Line -------> Router
Ethernet -----> Router/Computer

Once all of your routers lights have established a connection between your router and computer you can proceed to create a wireless connection. I don't know the actual domain PW but you can google it, everyones is the same.

Just make sure that you set a WEP ( Wireless Ethernet Password ) so that noone but you can access your wireless connection.

*Important - Use a subnet mask that will cover your IP address, I believe it's called a dynamic IP. This means that your IP address will change everytime you restart the computer

DO NOT set your IP to static, this means that your IP is clear and will allow attempts on your connection.

Let me know if I can further assist :cheers:

Ainokeatoo
03-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for tryin to help guys, I tried a hand at it myself last night, but nothing I tried worked. I'm having a tech come out here and set this up for me :P

FrankForce77
03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
The disc most likely will had the drivers that you will need in order to sucessfully install the modem. Now some do not requier this and so I might be wrong. Linksys modems have always been great for me.