PDA

View Full Version : Impressions: World at War Map Pack 1

CrazyCougar
03-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Activision recently sent over a code for the Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 1 for us to give it a run. So at the time of this article you could only play the Map Pack stand alone and not mixed in with the other maps. of course this will change with time, but due to this I was forced to play the "Core" difficutly much to my discontent. So my impressions were somewhat tainted by the fact that i could unload a whole clip into someone and they wouldn't die, yet they could fire less and kill me. Grrrr.

Onto the impressions.

You get 3 maps for standard multiplayer and 1 map for the co-op zombie mode. In Germany, only the 3 standard maps are included due to regulatons on Nazi content.

First up lets discuss "Nightfire". This map is played at night in the streets of war torn Berlin. You'll have plenty of sniper positions as well as close combat confines. The map is extremely dark and honestly at times its very difficulty to see anything. You really will nto want to run out into the open area in the middle of the map as its surrouned by high points where snipers will be a plenty. So if you are the sniper type, you'll love this map with long ark alleys to peer down, high points on the map to get a good vantage point and plenty of spots to plant bouncing betty's to cover you back. The map does have an essence of a war torn city and what Berlin probably would have been like. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate this map a 6 out of 10.

Secondly we have "Knee Deep" which takes place in the far east among bunker installations and grassy roof huts. There are plenty of waterways, streams and high weeds to get around without meing noticed. There are penty of hiding spots for any class of soldier and snipers will find homes on top of huts and insdie bunker installations, but at times may not even see a soul. The map is well laid out and quite big as a matter of fact. Out of the 3 maps, I personally thought this one was the best. Rating : 9/10

Last up for the standard maps is "Station". This map takes place in a war ridden subway system. There are a lot of choke points where players from opposing sides will meet face to face on many occassions. Even though its a subway system, the air strike can be quite effective at times where the streets above have been blown away. Again, due to a long corridor you'll have folks enjoying great sniper vanatge points, but a pile of rubble in the middle of the map divides the two ends not allowing for someone to camp throughout the entire match picking people off from their spawn points. This map is a little mroe weel lit than Nightfire but at times can still be quite dark. If not for names appearing above enemiy heads, at times you wouldnt even see people. This map could be a nightmare for folks on Hardcore mdoe.

Finally, the new zombie map takes place iin the Asylum. You'll have traverse the 2 story building fending off the zombies. At your disposal though are the Perk-a-Cola machines as well as an electroshock system that will stop zombies dead in their tracks in doorways where it is activated. Now of course you'll have to pay to get doors open and make your way up to the power source to activate the defense system, but its well worth it. Once again, this mode is a ton of fun to play with buddies and this map seems to be set up perfectly for the game mode.

All in all, I would say the Map Pack 1 gives some new life to the WaW game. New maps are most always a good thing and in this instance it is definitely the case. If you are a fan of the game then by all means you should get the map pack. As I stated, currently the maps are only avaialble to play in their own playlist. But hopefully soon enought ey'll be thrown into the mix with all the other maps.