PDA

View Full Version : Logitech DriveFX Racing Wheel

Snoopy7548
05-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I just got this wheel today and I must say, it's pretty sweeeeet! I don't know how long these have been discontinued but I was lucky enough to find one brand new in the box on eBay for $60. Here's my mini-review in case anyone is interested:

The wheel feels just like one you'd find in an arcade (which is exactly what I wanted). The "force feedback" isn't nearly as bad as people say (when comparing it to the MS wheel). It isn't pulling and tugging at the wheel like a madman but it lets you know it's doing its job. Again, the force feedback feels like something you'd find in an arcade. No complaints from me there.

A note on the "force feedback", I'm sure if you're reading this you know that this wheel doesn't have true force feedback. It's actually called Axial Feedback or something. Basically, this wheel converts the controller vibrations into something that engages a little clamp (I think) on the steering wheel. This will sort of pull the wheel and make it vibrate when you hit something and whatnot.

The pedals are very nice too. Both gas and brake pedals feel very springy and tight. It's hard to use one foot with it but whenever I play racing games in the arcade, I'm always using two feet anyways. Maybe this is because I've been driving standard for about 7 years:confused:

There is also a little black button you can press to change the sensitivity of the wheel. When you press it, a little light blinks faster or slower. I have mine on the fastest light blinking setting... I think that is the least sensitive but my memory isn't too great.

Now onto performance in games:

Outrun Arcade is incredibly fun with it; it's just like I'm in the arcades. Drifting is insanely fun. The "force feedback" is definitely there although not as much as in Forza 2 and PGR3. There's not much more I can say, it's just a blast to play.

PGR3 is something I'll have to re-learn. I haven't played a racing game on my 360 since I got it almost a year and a half ago.
At first, I was just test driving the fastest cars on the little test track and I must say, I thought this wheel was a piece of crap. I was swerving all over the place, couldn't make a simple turn for crap, etc. etc.
Then I went into an actual race and it brought me back to my old days of playing PGR on the Xbox (although I used a controller back then).
I had this little technique but most people probably do it too; when I'm about to corner, I alternate between the gas and brake to slow down a little then I slam on the handbrake and brake, and give it gas. I would rack up the Kudos and effortlessly make the turn. Up until today, I had completely forgotten about that little technique I had. I was about to make a corner, and without even thinking about it, I successfully did my little technique that I haven't done in about 3 years. I think that says something about this wheel (to me at least). It's nice to know that what you do on the controller translates well to what you can do on the wheel.

I haven't played much of Forza 2 yet so I can't comment on that. Here's something I found though:
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/1182447.aspx

Moving on, either tonight or tomorrow I'll play some DiRT. Really can't wait for that. Hopefully the wheel performs well with it.

In conclusion, this wheel is just pure fun to play with. If you can find one, get it. I haven't had a chance to play with the MS wheel so I can't compare the two.
It will definitely take some getting used to but I can already tell that I'll be dominating racing games again once I get comfortable with it.

Overall, I'd give this wheel an 8.5-9/10

mangobama619
06-03-2009, 02:44 PM
:crying: if only i had enought o buy any wheel i played with one a my friends house and it was one of the best racing experiences ive ever had on xbox can wait till my b-day... :hump:

Neollory
06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
I play PGR4 loads and I want a steering wheel just to change the game a little for me. Does anyone have experience of them as I have looked around and there seem quite a few different ones available.

Any advice?

Snoopy7548
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I read a lot of reviews and it seems like the only ones worth buying are the MS wheel and the Logitech DriveFX. Do a Google search or check Amazon.com for reviews; they are good starting points.

CrazyCougar
06-10-2009, 06:29 PM
The new fanaetic wheel coming in August I believe may be worth waiting for. I tried it out at E3 and loved it with Forza 3.

Snoopy7548
06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah I saw those too but aren't they pretty expensive? Like $200-300 and up.

CrazyCougar
06-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I am not sure of the price but it probably is expensive. Here is a link to detail about it though.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/The-Ultimate-Racing-Wheel-for-Xbox-360.htm

It did feel really good though! Very responsive and natural.

EDIT:

I just researched it a little bit and it seems you can spenf anywhere from $190-$500 for one of these bad boys.

http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_usa/index.php?cPath=21

Enamelized420
06-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Those are pretty sweet Cougar but I couldn't see getting another wheel. maybe find a friend with one to check it out.

Variation-XBA
06-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Very nice, not often you can find a wheel with a clutch and shifter

CrazyCougar
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, by what Dan Greenawalt says, the clutch is there for those that want to use it, but most probably won;t.

Snoopy7548
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Can you actually use the clutch in games like Forza and DiRT?

CrazyCougar
06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
From what I understand, yes you can use the clutch. But most casual users won't, at least that is the opinion of Dan Greenawalt, founder of Forza.