PDA

View Full Version : I Just Bought Knockout Kings 2002 And........

xboxer2002
03-10-2002, 08:42 AM
It's a great game except THEY TOOK OUT THE RING ENTRANCES!!!!.Unless i'm missing something you can only see a small ring entrance in tournament mode.You don't get them in exibition.There is a cheat menu that I hope unlocks them.

E-Xbox
03-10-2002, 08:48 AM
HEY MAN!

SWEET......Knockout kings 2001 was a killa game
i mite pick up 2002 for its multiplayer value

what do u think of the mplaya value?
cuz i love punching the crap out of my friends !!
hehe....

nice pick up man...

peace

DOOM
03-10-2002, 09:05 AM
YES It Is A Great Game But No Ref's/Ring Entrances...
Any Boxing Fan Must Buy This Game!

xboxer2002
03-10-2002, 09:13 AM
Me and my friends were up playing the game until 3:00 am
The multiplayer is fantastic.You can do a tournament with 4 people at once.This is truly the BEST boxing game ever made!!!The graphics are awesome as well.It's like watching a real fight.he graphics were totally redone from the ground up.I'm so happy bought this game.Well worth every cent spent.Finally,a true next-gen boxing game!!!! sorry for the misspelled words as I have a real bad hang over

AlBoogy
03-10-2002, 09:34 AM
When I finally got used to the game, my friend and I had an 11 round bout between Ali and Frazier. It took me a long time to get used to the controls. I couldn't figure out how to duck, back off, go towards the other boxer, etc.. Anyone had that trouble?

xboxer2002
03-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Ya I did too.Almost every defensive move is done using the left thumb stick.Move it alittle bit left or right to bob and weave and move it all the way to move.I am used to it just fine now though.I'm just wondering what that cheat menu is gonna do.I'm looking foreward to that!!!'m hoping ring entrances in exhibition matches.

BORNGD
03-10-2002, 12:53 PM
this game is sweet, only one problem is the career mode, they retire your boxer after about 20 fights!!! whats up with that? also, they have entrance (just for your boxer) when you go for the belt in career mode, but only on the championship fight...

only problem i had was body shots...i have no problem hitting the head but body shots are kinda hard, anyone know the buttons for body shots???

i think this game is near perfect, just add intros, refs and get the career mode to go for a longer time and its perfect

xboxer2002
03-11-2002, 07:57 AM
Well,at least the refs and announcers are in there.To throw low punches,you have to press up (alittle bit) on the left thumbstick as if you were ducking from a punch.then,while ducking,use the punch buttons.It actually works very good.Man,they really souped up the gameplay. just don't understand why no ring entrances in exhibition modes.That to me is alittle disappointing,but I think they went for a more arcade and sim mix style of game.At least they are in there though.

xboxer2002
03-11-2002, 10:43 AM
I heard the PS 2 version sucks.Has anyone played that version?I haven't but I know one thing,the Xbox version I have totally rocks.Maybe they put all their effort in the Xbox version.Maybe EA finally realizes that the Xbox is going to rule in the next year!!!

Nato King
03-11-2002, 11:10 AM
I might rent this game to see what you guys are talking about because from what you guys are saying about this game it is wicked.:)

xboxer2002
03-11-2002, 03:25 PM
This game is truly one of the best fighting games ever.Either you love it or hate it.There's no in between!

GeordieTheSith
03-11-2002, 03:54 PM
whats KOK 2002 like? is it worth getting? i have to wait till next moth cause im in the UK but i was def thinking of getting it.

xboxer2002
03-11-2002, 07:02 PM
The controlls are very responsive and the pace is fast.It can get very brutal at times.Blood flying everywhere,mouth pieces flying out into the crowd,etc.The graphics are top notch as well.Lots of venues to choose from.I haven't stopped playing this game since I got it over the weekend.

jschelm
03-12-2002, 09:03 AM
I totally agree with all of you that the graphics are phenominal and that the game is very addictng at first, but for those of you looking to buy it you may want to consider renting it at first. Because of the short career mode this game got pretty old to me after a few days of playing. Now about all I do with it is multiplayer. I am definately glad that I rented it, but I have let some people play it that were bored after 2-3 matches, when the beauty of the games graphics wore off.

xboxer2002
03-12-2002, 09:10 AM
I agree.If your looking for a deep career mode , don't buy this game.But if your interested in multiplayer(beating the crap out of your friends) buy this game.

C++
03-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Knockout Kings 2002 is clearly setting a high bar for Boxing sims on the Xbox. While there are a few things that need improving, overall the game is great.

First of all the game looks fantastic. There is an almost hyper-real look to it. The notable addition of realistic looking faces really makes the game. In a football sim or a basketball sim or a baseball sim the faces of opponents are only occasionally relevent. But Boxing is a face-to-face sport. You are always looking at your opponent, so a barely passable face is probably worse than no face at all. But Knockout Kings 2002 doesn't dissapoint in this department. Sure they still don't move with the absolutely unpredictability of real faces, but they really do look like the people they represent. Ali looks like Ali, Frazier like Frazier.

And speaking of Ali and Frazier, they are only two of the many "greats" (from all weight classes) you'll find in this game. This isn't a gimmick--it really gives you a sense of accomplishment to beat Roberto Duran's face in. The only notable exception is Mike Tyson--mostly 'cause he's got his own game coming up soon. From my limited knowledge of these fighters they DO seem to fight very much like the real men they represent as well.

Moves? Knockout Kings 2002 has got some moves--an innovative movement system that's a bit irratating at first, but quite logical when you get used to it. The space in the ring is pretty irrelevent--all that really matters is your position relative to the other boxer. You can move in circles clockwise and counter-clockwise from him, and forward and back. Ducking and weaving is a bit harder to "do" than it should be though. But the punching--and the method of punch selection--is dead on.

Ambient visuals and sounds both contribute to the game as well. Crowds cheer, different venues give good atmosphere and trainers and boxing promoters occupy the space around the ring. The same two cronies (a "promoter type" who looks like a Sopranos reject, and a guy who looks like Apollo creed's bald trainer) seem to assist every boxer, but hey, maybe they get around.

An noticeably lacking "area" is variety. Sure you've got lots of boxers and venues, as well as single fight and campaign modes... but that's basically it. Some kind of sparring mode would have been great, and maybe some more radical diversity in the rules (you can only change a few basic rules). How about a no-holds-barred mode where all low-blows are acceptible? How about a secret mode where you can throw in some wacky wresting moves? Just for kicks, you understand, I wouldn't want it to detract from the "meat" of the game.

Another annoying problem is that in the tournament mode you seem to get the same fighter fighting 4 or 8 or 16 other versions of themselves. Maybe I just haven't found the control to change this... but if that's the case then the setup of the screens is very non-intuitive.

Overall, a good product... but the 2003 edition COULD blow this away if they work at it.