PDA

View Full Version : Speed of online gaming

Wreckless
03-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Say you have a Pentium 1 or Pentium 2 PC.:(
You get AT&T Broadband internet hook up.

Will the Pentium 1 or Pentium 2 severly slow down the online gaming or will it only depend on your internet connection?

If the slow PC severly slows down my online play then I have to buy a new computer so I need an answer.

Thanks

:) :cool:

Zen
03-10-2002, 02:48 PM
if your referring to hooking your xbox up to your pc and connecting through that way... then no... you should be alright.
especially if you leave the computer alone while your playing...

how much ram do you have? it would depend more on the ram then your computers processing power... since its not really processing anything, just moving information

but i thought Xbox was internet ready out of the box... from everything ive heard, youll just connect your Xbox to a hub or the cable modem itself

that is, when microsofts servers are up and running

Razor70
03-10-2002, 03:08 PM
I think the person is referring to playing online at Gamespy...you can play Halo, Tony Hawk 2x and Nascar Thunder at Gamespy right now. You just have to download Gamespy Arcade and Gamespy Tunnel and you can play as long as you have a broadband connection that is.

mtbaird5687
03-10-2002, 03:30 PM
yah when the official xbox online comes out you will just need to connect your xboxx to the cable modem. what a great day that will be. yessiree

Wreckless
03-10-2002, 08:22 PM
So the speed of your computer( Pentium 1 or 2 ) has nothing to do with slow down in online games( Official Microsoft Launch ).

So.... I guess your speed will depend on your internet connection speed( Broadband of course ).

Is this right?

Wreckless
03-10-2002, 08:27 PM
When you play online( most likely Gamespy ), do you look at your PC monitor when playing or look at your tv screen?

Sorry for all the questions!!:) :rolleyes:

Zen
03-10-2002, 08:38 PM
your TV screen... the only reason theres a computer in the mix is to HuB the information and be routed to gamspies server...

no unless you have an archaic monster anything higher then a pentium 1, 166mghrz will be fine.
going lower then that and you will probably experience some sort of significant slowdown i would have to guess.

why havn't you tryed to connect it already to see for yourself?

if its a question i can answer then im happy to help just like the rest of the freindly lurkers here:)

Zen
03-10-2002, 08:40 PM
whooops double posthttp://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Zen
03-10-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Wreckless
So the speed of your computer( Pentium 1 or 2 ) has nothing to do with slow down in online games( Official Microsoft Launch ).

So.... I guess your speed will depend on your internet connection speed( Broadband of course ).

Is this right?

yes... remember most(if not all) of the processing is done through the Xbox itself.

Wreckless
03-10-2002, 08:46 PM
Thanks Zen for all your help!!!!

I think all my questions are answered for now!!!;) ;)