PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament shelved for years.

Symmetric-XBA
07-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Players will have to wait awhile before they get to see another Unreal Tournament game.

In an interview with G4, Founder and CEO of Epic Games Tim Sweeney said the company hasn't forgotten about the Unreal Tournament series, but for right now there are other priorities.

"Unreal Tournament is certainly a major long-term priority but we're planning not to release a major retail game in the series for several years. So we have that effort somewhat on hold while we work on a few other initiatives. "

Sweeney would continue to reinforce the importance of the community, and said by making the toolsets available for mods and map creation, the series goes beyond anything the studio could ever do.

"The really interesting thing about Unreal Tournament is that once we've defined the game in this generation the community takes it and runs with it. So you've seen the community create this massive set of maps and mods that go far beyond anything we could ever do," Sweeney added.

"We almost solve the Unreal Tournament 4 and 5 problem ourselves by just making this toolset available because the community has done more than we could have ever hoped to do internally."

This should come as no surprise given the success of Gears of War. Do you miss Unreal Tournament?

Kiddingo
07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
For me, UT3 was boring and felt dated. Hopefully when a Unreal resurfaces it will get much needed boost of "freshness"

Symmetric-XBA
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
yeah i agree somewhat, however I feel that the main character for the Unreal series smashes Marcus in GoW and that I love how the announcer says "killing spree" the bass is soooooo deep and it shakes my entertainment area lol.