PDA

View Full Version : PC vs Xbox Question?

SteveUK
03-11-2002, 06:00 AM
Quick question that has been worrying me!
I have ordered an XBox as they seem to be pretty great! but I have always been a PC gamer with a high end PC. So the question I am asking is! How many of you have been into PC gaming and now also own an Xbox and if so were graphics that great when compared to the PC?
I am a little worried that I will be unimpressed by the Xbox capabilities as I have been spoilt with high end PC graphics. Please let me know any thoughts on this as the graphics are great for the price and are you people who have never had the luxury of a GEForce 3 fitted PC???

yall
03-11-2002, 07:18 AM
Ive always been a PC gamer, and I have a Geforce4 equiped athlon 1.4 w/256megs, yada yada yada. I love my xbox. The only complaint I have regarding the xbox is the lack of a keyboard mouse interface for FPS's and strategy games (although there arent any strategy games as of yet). As far as graphics go, play Halo, and all of your concerns will be alieviated. Trust me. And for a FPS, the controls are even done pretty well, which is saying alot for an analog controller. Make your purchase with confidence, the xbox is a great system.

SteveUK
03-11-2002, 07:41 AM
That’s exactly what I wanted to hear!
The mouse and keyboard missing is a shock for players of the PC, but in away you can understand why they would rather not have them for a consoles as things start to get messy, although a release of a mouse would be the icing on the cake!
If Microsoft is so worried about making it look like a poor mans PC then why not release a mouse that is not called a mouse! Hey just an Idea.

Cheers.

UltraMuffin
03-11-2002, 07:51 AM
I am a former PC gaming addict... To be honest, with the standard (non HDTV) 20" TV I have, the graphics don't look very crisp (but how could they? hehe). Some of the indoor environments in Halo looked a little bland to me, but the outdoor environments really impressed me (especially when I looked down on the grass... that looked really cool)... and the way the Xbox moves, so smooth (most of the time). The models in Xbox games must have a ton of polygons, cuz they look much smoother/rounder and lifelike than any game I've seen on a PC.

I got an Xbox because I decided I was tired of upgrading my PC. The Xbox was a perfect solution because people will be making games specifically for that hardware, so I no longer have to be afraid that my gaming machine isn't up to par whenever I buy a new game. Also, I've always liked console gaming better... Idunno why, I just do.

mahalan
03-11-2002, 08:31 AM
I'm also a former high-end PC gamer who's picked up an Xbox. The graphics using Xbox's HDTV capabilities look similar to the graphics on my PC. Then again, my PC had a 21" picture compared to my TV with a 65". Once you take the size differential into account, the Xbox blows away any computer.

JimmieDoogan
03-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Well, I have a GF3 in my system, and I'll tell you what. The Xbox has almost the exact chip in it. I believe it has a few more capabilities than the GF3 but definatly not more than the GF4. In fact the only place you can see your GF3 put to good use is on Xbox at this time. Only one PC game out of them all uses an engine built in DX8. MOHAA doesn't as it uses the Q3A engine. Anyway, if you want to see both your pixel and vertex shaders being used in conjunction with QFSAA as well as FULL DX8 support than the Xbox would be the place. In fact, you won't see PC games that support these graphical features for quite some time, however, Xbox games come out almost every week. I'm not a PC gamer or a console gamer, I'm just a gamer. I picked up my GF3, DC, PS2 and Xbox for all the same reasons. To HAVE FUN. If you profess to have fun at any point in your life, do not devoid yourself from the wonderous experiance that truley is the XBOX GAME CONSOLE!

Toder
03-11-2002, 03:05 PM
I too am a PC gamer and i think the Xbox is unbelieveable. Look at it this way when some makes a pc game there are so many differe hardware configurations the designer has to deal and has to have a game theat will comply with the different hardware. The xbox on the other hand has a set specification that the designers know what to deal and are able to exploit the hardware to the max.

darianX
03-11-2002, 03:11 PM
The capabilities are there..all for $300. I paid that much for my Geforce3 card alone! Everything I've seen looks as good on my TV as on a monitor. Add in the fact that I can prop my feet up in my recliner and play instead of being hunched over a monitor really made the Xbox attractive :cool: Really though, you'd be hard pressed to say that games look better on a PC.

Frostberg
03-11-2002, 03:12 PM
lol I am still a PC gamer, currently playing C&C: Renegade

GokuX
03-11-2002, 03:17 PM
I'm a PC gamer witha GF system and the PC hasn't even come close to what the Xbox can do, and I honestly don't think it will for another year or so. I doubt the GF4 isn't gonna usher in a new era of games that look better than the Xbox. I think people were hoping for something like that but I think it's really gonna happen sometime around the GF5 or 6 are released. Run all the Nvidia demos for the GF 4 then run an Xbox game, and U'll be impressed by the Xbox and maybe a bit dismayed at the GF4. I sure was.

Batman2372
03-11-2002, 03:51 PM
I'm also a PC gamer and an Xbox Gamer. I think that each has their place. I play Galactic Battlegrounds and Starcraft heavily right now, and there's now way an Xbox will be able to duplicate the complexity those games have.

But bet your boots, I'm really digging Halo and games like Tony Hawk 3, PGR, and the sports games just can compare when put on a PC.

It's almost comparing apples to oranges.

Toonz
03-11-2002, 05:45 PM
I really beg to differ here guys. Granted I paid huge cash for it but I just installed my GF4 ti4600 and my PC graphics far surpass what my xbox can do. Halo looks great but not as great as RTCW or MOHAA on full settings at 1024x768. In the end however I do prefer the console. No patching, getting drivers, compatibility issues to worry about just plug the game in and have Fun. Once Xbox goes online I suspect it will get more attention than my PC as I'd rather frag my friends from the comfort of my couch all night anyways.

SteveUK
03-11-2002, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your posts and I know what you mean by Strategy games on the TV as they are not the same without a mouse in your hand and a crystal clear monitor directly in front of your eyes.
XBOX means arcade and PC is great at strategy & Hardcore Simulation.

Best to have both I guess!!! oh well I think I will have to do more overtime....:(

Steve

l Maximus l
To me, it really depends on what kind of TV you are comparing your PC against. I mean, I recently bought a 43" Widescreen HDTV, and I have been playing my XBox on it...and, ever since I bought it, I have been in gaming euphoria all in the comfort of my couch :)

FuNkY mOnK
Xbox is my choice over the pc for the fact, that imo nothing has come out worth playing since max pyan. And add the possibility that depending on the success of xbox and the way bill gates runs his empire will possibly make games exclusive to xbox only, and limit if not eliminate the pc games altogether forcing the xbox in the homes of all pc gamers, this is a good thing especially for the compatibility issues with the online gaming. who knows?just a thought.

yall
03-11-2002, 07:05 PM
Just to let you guys know, a GF4 is just a really fast GF3. And if you have a GF4 with the mx chipset (like i do) you just have a really fast GF2. The GF4 has the same pixel and vertex shaders. It just has more bandwidth, memory and core speed, as far as I know. As far as strategy games go, (specificaly RTS's) they can be done well on consoles. C&C was done really well on the PS1. There is no reason they couldn't do a good job of porting similar titles to the xbox. Red Alert 2 immediately comes to mind! I have little doubt that after developers begin to see the sales figures, in conjunction with the power of the console, we will start to see more pc like games, and probably the peripherals to match.