PDA

View Full Version : XBox Howto section

Dre
03-11-2002, 01:03 PM
This should probably be in the Suggestions/Ideas forum, but I want a big audience because I truly think the site could benefit from this.

A Howto section is my suggestion. A Howto is basically a text file explaining "how to" accomplish a certain task. We could have howto's on:

-connecting for online play via gamespy,
-recording your music cds to the drive,
-connecting your sound through your computers soundcard,
-etc., etc., etc.

Let me know what you guys all think! I for one would be more than willing to write a couple of these and I'm sure it would create a lot less of the redundant threads we seem to see on the boards. We could maybe even have pics and stuff to show exactly what we mean.

Of course, XBA staff (or someone appointed if they don't have time) could ensure that the Howto's are up to date and work.

Suggestions, ideas, feedback???

JJaX
03-11-2002, 01:06 PM
People just need to learn to use the search button.

Dre
03-11-2002, 01:10 PM
but this way it would be centralized to this site. No need to go looking on a bunch of other sites. Thus making this place more and more your 1 stop xbox site...

l Maximus l
03-11-2002, 01:17 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea. I mean, ask Xtopia with how many times I have explained to people how to get on Gamespy!!!! :D

I don't mind explaining it, though...it would be kinda nice to have a place to go to get the simple details about it. I find that the Gamespy website makes it sound too complicated...but, after doing it, it makes more sense. Since I am a networking novice, it's kind of nice for me to have the ability to explain how to hook everything up to someone that is also a networking novice :) So, it's a great idea!

Ninja Scroll
03-11-2002, 01:19 PM
I understand what you are saying Dre, but in the xboxaddict forum boards we dont care if you ask a question we have heard 137 times. Everyone is helpful, so I dont really think that will be as benifical, but anything extra can only help the site.:)

Dre
03-11-2002, 01:21 PM
Well, since I got some positive responses from two of the big kahoonas (sp?) on the forums, I'll go ahead and draft the first one up to present to a an XBA staff guy. Hopefully they'll think the same

Ninja Scroll
03-11-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Well, since I got some positive responses from two of the big kahoonas (sp?) on the forums, I'll go ahead and draft the first one up to present to a an XBA staff guy. Hopefully they'll think the same

Im sure they are willing to consider anything that will improve the site Dre. lay it on them buddy!:)

JJaX
03-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Oh if your gonna type up a FAQ that stays at the top i think thats a great idea. I was thinking just a nornal thread that would die. If its a sticky thread i say go for it!

Dre
03-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Ok, I created a website for the Howto's. Click on my sig pic and it should bring you to it. If people have suggestions for other Howto's please let me know! The more the better!!!

If you want to write a howto that would be pretty kickass as well! Maximus.... hehehe.. I know you know what you're talking about when it comes to networking.. hint hint.. ;)

Lates

smack119
03-11-2002, 10:24 PM
maximus.....how can i get on gamespy :)

just kidding

Xtopia
03-11-2002, 11:16 PM
I don't think it's a bad idea. I mean, ask Xtopia with how many times I have explained to people how to get on Gamespy!!!!

Last time i checked it was...9495948385838359353593586545846783583583835835835835783936593583958395 times!:D No but seriously, you have been a big help to a lot of XBA's trying to play Halo over gamespy! Good work buddy!:)

LynxFX
03-12-2002, 01:22 AM
Might as well add in an HDTV and the Xbox: The facts vs. the Myths section.

How many times have I or Hugh_Jass or others explained that to people? :D

Dre
03-12-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

Ok, but I have no idea what the dealio with HDTV's is... would ya mind sending an email to xba.dre@rogers.com with whatever you think should be in it?

Thanks... I think with everyone participating this thing might actually work and be useful for peeps

Nato King
03-12-2002, 07:37 AM
Hey Dre your site is very wicked you have a good layout and with a little help from our xboxaddict buddys that site will go a long way keep up the good work.:)

Very nice thread

Creator
03-12-2002, 10:09 AM
very nice idea with the buttons

Mahlon
03-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Dre, I think you have an extra period in the link to Xboxaddict on your page.

LynxFX
03-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Dre,

I'll write you up something explaining how to connect to your A/V system. So it will include how to get DD 5.1 running, as well as how to hook up an HD set or variations of it.

l Maximus l
03-12-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by smack119
maximus.....how can i get on gamespy :)

just kidding

hehe...You had me going there for a sec...but, only a sec, though ;)

l Maximus l
03-12-2002, 01:28 PM

hehe....No kidding! I know for a fact that I was one of yours and Hugh_Jass's clients! :D Thanks again!!!

Dre
03-12-2002, 05:11 PM
Dre,

I'll write you up something explaining how to connect to your A/V system. So it will include how to get DD 5.1 running, as well as how to hook up an HD set or variations of it.

Awesome! Thanks, when you're done plz send it to xba.dre@rogers.com

Originally posted by Mahlon
Dre, I think you have an extra period in the link to Xboxaddict on your page.

Ok thanks!

Maximus, what do you say about writing one for getting on gamespy? Or, if you remember a thread where you have already written it all out, post the link and I can add it to the site. Thnx man!

Dre
03-12-2002, 07:29 PM
Hey peeps.... I've just posted a 2nd Xbox howto! Check it out and let me know what ya think! Click on my sig for the site

MensurB
03-12-2002, 08:22 PM
I think it's awesome what you guys or you dre are doing, I too think that xboxaddict is the best xbox site out there, but I think that they're not very much interested in the idea:(
but anyways, I can't wait for the rest, I'm trying to hook the xbox up to my 5.1 surround sound system, but somehow I only get regular surround sound
Anyways, keep up the good work!

Frostberg
03-12-2002, 08:26 PM
lol Dre just take one of my MANY Gamespy hookups using a USB DSL modem, then I dont have to keep typing out, I can just refer to your quick link

Dre
03-13-2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Frostberg
lol Dre just take one of my MANY Gamespy hookups using a USB DSL modem, then I dont have to keep typing out, I can just refer to your quick link

How about you type it out one last time and send it to xba.dre@rogers.com

Also, I've added a 3rd howto to my site. So I've got:
1-Modifying controller buttons
2-Speeding up hard-drive read/write times
3-Disabling a forgotten parental control password

I'll be writing a couple on saturday during the day... so remember if you've got suggestions and the like let me know either by thread, pm or an email to xba.dre@rogers.com

Also, I would like your opinion.. should I even bother emailing the ops to put this as a link somewhere from the site or just keep it the way it is now?

Thanks guys,
Dre

Dre
03-18-2002, 11:24 AM
*bump*

dances with broom sticks
03-18-2002, 02:07 PM
seems like a great idea to me! i think they should link it to the main page...
another idea for a how-2 is how to open your xbox up without voiding warenty (sp?). u know with the heating the stickers