PDA

View Full Version : before purchasing an Xbox in Oz

adrianjp
03-11-2002, 03:52 PM
- Is it possible to base a decision on wether to buy an xbox soley on www information and pictures or does one really have to go and test it out to fully appreciate its qualities?

I ask because i think the pictures/movies all over the web doesnt do it justice. Only because i havent had time to go out and see it.

Im definitely going to try before i buy but i just need to know whether people just went and bought one or went to a shop and were blown away?

- Im also woundering what games are really trying to compete with the likes of GT3 on the xbox for sustained gameplay and picture quality?

To me its all about the games and im trying to base my decision on that......

GeordieTheSith
03-11-2002, 03:58 PM
I live in the UK im getting mine on thursday but i have played ampted in electronics boutique and it was amazing, im getting an xbox anyway but when i played it just set my mind straight, and there will be some kool games released for it over the coming months, like RAW and morrowind and stuff, even now on the UK lauch there are a few good games already.

you should go to your local games store maybe they have a playable demo there or something.

l Maximus l
03-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Dude...get an XBox! Are you insane!?!? :eek:

Rallisport Challenge, an exclusive game on the XBox, gives GT3 a HUGE run for it's money.

And, if you haven't played Halo, you are seriously missing out!

Other games like Brute Force, Unreal Championship, Shrapnel, and several others are more examples to demonstrate that the XBox is in in a class of it's own.

Unreal Championship, as I just mentioned, will be able to play on-line directly from your XBox when it's released and when Microsoft finalizes their on-line forum this summer. I can't wait!!!!

UltraMuffin
03-11-2002, 04:11 PM
I think the Xbox screenshots on the internet look like crap... You have to see the games in motion to appreciate them! It's all about the framerate! Not even video clips on the internet do the Xbox justice.

adrianjp
03-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your opinions! more from others is welcome...

Highlite23
03-11-2002, 04:53 PM
Doing your homework on line if fine, but you have to play the system to relly appreciate it. I have no doubt you'll love everything about the xbox, and when you get it home you will probably have the same reaction did when i took it out of the box..."Now this is hardware" just picking it up and getting ready to play you feel like this is a seriouse piece of equptment not a "game", very satisfying feeling.

Not to mention the games comming out, on-line play with no add-ons, and of course THE POWER !!!

GET ONE, RUN, DON'T WALK...YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!

Afro Aura
03-11-2002, 05:00 PM
Hi ya Adrianjp

What do you mean your going to try before you buy are you insane, the graphics, the sound, the power. this machine could eat the PS2 three times over and still have some room left in it's belly
I'm in the UK and I've got a US XBOX and I'm telling you this now, you best get in there and buy one before there all sold out, this machine is awesome games like Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Rallisport Challenge, JSRF, Wreckless the list could go on but I'm sure your getting the picture. There is know way the PS2 could even come close to any on the games above
So forget the testing just go in and come out with Halo, Rallisport Challenge, JSRF, DoA3, plus1 more contoller and the awesome XBOX
And I'm sure you won't reget it

PS: Maxiums just 3 days and that game will be mine wuhahahahaha you know the one I mean

l Maximus l
03-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Here is a list of great games for the XBox:

1. Halo (This is a MANDATORY game for any proud XBox owner)
2. Rallisport Challenge (Amazing rally racing game!)
3. Amped (This game is brilliant...I love this game!!)
4. Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee (Hilarious and just plain fun!)
5. Project Gotham Racing (Amazing game, and very challenging)
6. Azurik: Rise of Perathia (Plan on 100+ hours of adventure)
7. UFC Tapout (Love it - great fighting game)

Here's several games that I am, personally, looking forward to:

1. Brute Force
2. Bounty Hunter
3. Shrapnel
4. Turok
5. Return To Castle Wolfenstein
6. Doom III
7. Metal Gear Solid X
8. GTA III
9. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
10. Battlefield 1942
11. Mortal Kombat
12. Outlaw Golf
13. Colin McCrae Rally
14. Unreal Championship
15. Halo 2
16. Half Life 2

I mean, the list goes on and on and on....I love this XBOX!

With the XBox, you have:

1. An 8 gig hard-drive for game saves - no more memory cards needed (but, memory cards are available if you want)
2. The Hard-drive also allows you to copy and play your own personal CD collection to listen to while playing your games (no more turning the volume off of your TV and turning up your radio, therefore, losing all other soundeffects - this is HUGE!)
3. On-line broadband ready.
4. System Link capable (awesome for multi-player gaming where you can hook up multiple XBoxes together with mutliple TVs - up to four!)
5. Four controller ports - standard
6. 733 megabit processor (Almost 3 times the processing power of the PoS2)
7. Growing list of 3rd party game developers...I think there is already over 150 already confirmed and making games for the XBox
8. Games will include "XBox extras" which means that the XBox will have many of the same games found on the PoS2, however, they will improved the graphics, add more playable chracters, add levels, more weapons, more action on the screen, etc...All for the same price! Why get a PoS2 and have the 2nd best version when you can have the best?

This list goes on and on and on in regards to this, too. Anyway, now you know! Get an XBOX!!! :D

adrianjp
03-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Ok i think i will buy the following:

Xbox
1 extra controller

Definitely get:

Halo
Dead or Alive 3
Rallisport Challenge
Amped

Might Get due to money restrictions:

Nba Live 2002
Gothem Racing

That will cost me about AUD$1100 but from the sounds of it it will be a worth investment for future gaming!

BTW: Do all th cables come with it?

Afro Aura
03-11-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by adrianjp
Ok i think i will buy the following:

Xbox
1 extra controller

Definitely get:

Halo
Dead or Alive 3
Rallisport Challenge
Amped

Might Get due to money restrictions:

Nba Live 2002
Gothem Racing

That will cost me about AUD$1100 but from the sounds of it it will be a worth investment for future gaming!

BTW: Do all th cables come with it?
Yes I think so as when I got my US XBOX all leads where all inside, so plug in an play on, I'm getting a PAL XBOX too with the only thing I what is the Advanced AV SCART and thats it, I'll be as happy as a pig in muck lol

adrianjp
03-11-2002, 06:51 PM
what are these advanced cables i keep reading about?

Are they necessary ontop of the standard cables you get!?

Afro Aura
03-11-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by adrianjp
what are these advanced cables i keep reading about?

Are they necessary ontop of the standard cables you get!?
Nar the Advanced AV lead is just SCART cable and will give you an RGB picture with will be a lot better that the SCART you'll get with the XBOX is also has a section where you can connect a optical lead to it and put it into your Hi-Fi if it's got the 5.1 DD for better sound

but in all honestly you don't need it if you don't want them it's just me I likes things to look sharp and sound cool

Xbox
03-11-2002, 07:38 PM
I went through phases with my x-box,but now i Love the thing (even after my new Game-Cube sitting near it)

1st Phase: Amazed
2nd Phase(2nd Week-3 Weeks Later): Wanted to get rid of it.
3rd Phase(My Last Phase): After hearing about Matrix 2 and what Mircosoft does for its consumers Im glad I bought this console.I just got a Game-Cube tuesday, and My friend asked me if he should trade in his X-Box and get one, I clearly told him no. I just got one cuz i sold my PS2 :).

You might go through the same stuff I did,but trust me I LuB My X-box

xboxer2002
03-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Afro Aura

Yes I think so as when I got my US XBOX all leads where all inside, so plug in an play on, I'm getting a PAL XBOX too with the only thing I what is the Advanced AV SCART and thats it, I'll be as happy as a pig in muck lol

I would definately get NBA 2K2 instead of NBA Live 2002.It's much better!!!

adrianjp
03-11-2002, 09:00 PM
where can i find info on nba 2k2?