PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft announces "Game Room" coming to Xbox Live

wicked_d365
01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Have you ever wanted your own arcade room? How about one for your avatar and friends to roam around in? For those of you who answered yes to any of those questions, your in luck. Microsoft has stated that they will be launcing the Xbox Live Game Room coming this spring.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/news/xboxgamezoneed-2.jpg

The Game Room will be like an old retro style arcade for you to store, organize, and customize your game collection. MS has stated they will have over 1,000 games in the next 3 years, with 30 titles available at launch.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/news/xboxgamezoneed-1.jpg

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news-1512-Microsoft-s-Game-Room--The-Who--What--When--Where--Why.html

I like the idea. Looks cool.

Ainokeatoo-XBA
01-11-2010, 07:16 PM
wtf LOL Go MS spin off everything everyone else made. First avatars now Xbox Live HOME lol I have to say though, it does look nice, I do like PSN home so let's see where MS takes this, in all my years, I never thought they'd up and do something like that.

Fargoth
01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
wtf LOL Go MS spin off everything everyone else made. First avatars now Xbox Live HOME lol I have to say though, it does look nice, I do like PSN home so let's see where MS takes this, in all my years, I never thought they'd up and do something like that.

Haha microsoft is quite good at marketing. See something you like? Take it and make it your own.

AK Eclipse
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
This is a great idea by M$ as they've always impressed me in the job they do with marketing and presenting hybrid ideas to our favorite white (or black) console. :)

Vampero
01-12-2010, 01:39 AM
I use to play Astroids at the corner store in my city a long time ago!! This will remind me when I use to go to the arcade and spend $.25 on Games to play. I hope they get Mr.Do!!

Variation-XBA
01-12-2010, 03:18 AM
Great idea, but none of the launch titles have that WOW effect for me, so we'll see

trublood
01-14-2010, 01:45 PM
great Idea to make some Extra BUCKS! http://tinytwitt.com/content/15/smile.gif

Sam-XBA
01-14-2010, 07:51 PM
What I'd like to see in the future is some use made of cloud computing... Meaning you could play games within the 'arcade' thing with other people, with none of you having to have that game - as it's run from a server processor.

It's already becoming quite big - the processed image sequence is downloaded via internet and commands / controlls are sent to the server.

Though, I'm thinking fairly far down an imaginary line here...

Looks like a good idea... but, er, yeah - seems very home-esque.

Variation-XBA
01-15-2010, 03:30 AM
What I'd like to see in the future is some use made of cloud computing... Meaning you could play games within the 'arcade' thing with other people, with none of you having to have that game - as it's run from a server processor.

It's already becoming quite big - the processed image sequence is downloaded via internet and commands / controlls are sent to the server.

Though, I'm thinking fairly far down an imaginary line here...

Looks like a good idea... but, er, yeah - seems very home-esque.

It's called ONLIVE and coming later this year

Unreal
02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
great Idea to make some Extra BUCKS! http://tinytwitt.com/content/15/smile.gif
And extra bucks they will be making because if you own any retro titles they won't work in the game room. So unless they change it by launch you will have to double dip :(

Ainokeatoo-XBA
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Let's hope it's not as "bad" as Home is/was/still kinda is. Don't get me wrong after a few months of using Home it's a really good virtual reality chatroom/game thing/advertisement city. The thing that kills it is the poor mechanical design, if you buy to many clothing items or download to many different area's, the entire thing slows down tremendously, trying to go from place to place at first will only take half a minute to a minute, as you download different area's the loading time increases. This is especially true for the start of the program since it pre-loads most if not all of the content that you have.

So basically the more things you download the longer it'll take to start. The sad thing is really, the only way to delete area's you don't visit is to delete and reinstall. Although at face value Home is really awesome, but like the phrase goes, you get what you pay for. So hopefully with this "game room" we do get what we pay for.

wicked_d365
02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
And extra bucks they will be making because if you own any retro titles they won't work in the game room. So unless they change it by launch you will have to double dip :(

I just read about that. What a rip. Thanks Microscrew.

Conchord
02-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Looks about as stupid as the avatars do.

Why can't companies like MS take a note from google and wikipedia, both of which have remained their original selves (sitewise), even though their popularity has reached the stratosphere.

Oh well, I guess that is what happens when your demographic consists of people suffering from antisocial and attention deficit disorders... you must constantly "evolve" (read: change for no purpose other than to change) or suffer a drawdown in audience.

Fargoth
02-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Why can't companies like MS take a note from google and wikipedia, both of which have remained their original selves (sitewise), even though their popularity has reached the stratosphere.

Oh well, I guess that is what happens when your demographic consists of people suffering from antisocial and attention deficit disorders... you must constantly "evolve" (read: change for no purpose other than to change) or suffer a drawdown in audience.

I think they're just trying to kill the sony and nintendo very badlike

Ainokeatoo-XBA
02-24-2010, 09:11 PM

You also have to understand, Google isn't actually "anything" other than a search engine. And Wikipedia is nothing more than an online source, there isn't much more to change about it, they aren't complex on the outside so there really is no need to change it.

Conchord
02-24-2010, 10:34 PM
You also have to understand, Google isn't actually "anything" other than a search engine. And Wikipedia is nothing more than an online source, there isn't much more to change about it, they aren't complex on the outside so there really is no need to change it.

Compare them to other sites, such as yahoo, or facebook, or myspace, or hotmail, or aol, who all started simple and had absolutely no reason to change. Now look at them all, they are all OVERWHELMINGLY complex and way too crowded to navigate.

An xbox 360 is a videogame system, and nothing more. Attempting to make it seem like more than that is stupid, which is the perfect adjective for those ****ing avatars and the ****ing marketplace and the ****ing rental downloads that take hours and the ****ing subject of this thread.:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Variation-XBA
02-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Someone pee in your breakfast this morning Conchord?

Sorry but I don't place myself in that category. Evolving is not always a bad thing as staying stangnant for a prolongued period can become dull for some people and all the companies want to bring in new audiences tot he experience as well.

Conchord
02-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Evolving due to user boredom should suggest a change in user.

Ainokeatoo-XBA
02-25-2010, 03:42 AM
Compare them to other sites, such as yahoo, or facebook, or myspace, or hotmail, or aol, who all started simple and had absolutely no reason to change. Now look at them all, they are all OVERWHELMINGLY complex and way too crowded to navigate.

Yahoo Facebook Myspace Msn and Aol are not "just" anything, they were complex websites for multiple uses that through the years built upon their audience. You can't compare apples to oranges, I mean, you have the ability, but it's not the most logical thing to do.

An xbox 360 is a videogame system, and nothing more.

That's like saying World of warcraft is just a game, which is wrong, it is an experience, it is something that evolves day by day year by year. Things change, evolve.

Attempting to make it seem like more than that is stupid, which is the perfect adjective for those ****ing avatars and the ****ing marketplace and the ****ing rental downloads that take hours and the ****ing subject of this thread.:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

The 360 The PS3 The Wii are not just videogame systems. Yes that is what they are, they "are" video game systems but that's not "just" what they are. The 360 offers a medium in which someone can play games with their friends if they want to, download additional content to their games if they want to, rent a movie if they want to, so does the PS3 and the Wii.

The option is there, the more options there are that run smoothly between each other, the more people it would attract. I for one, like to see new people.

wicked_d365
02-25-2010, 08:10 AM
An xbox 360 is a videogame system, and nothing more.

The 360 really is more of a entertainment system. Yes it's mainly a game system, but with it's capabillities of streaming music and movies, it appeals to many more people because of these other features. The only thing it's lacking is internet browsing which the other systems have.

They are always going to try and one up, and so will Nintendo and Sony if MS does something new. Look at Netflix. Xbox got it, then PS, now Wii. Avatars, Wii started it, PS added it, MS added it. That's what makes gaming so cool. There is always new stuff because everyong is trying to be #1.

Unreal
02-25-2010, 07:02 PM
I just read about that. What a rip. Thanks Microscrew.
Thats why I am not interested. It would have been cool to pick say 10 of your XBLA and put them in your Game Room. I would have Pacman C.E., Heavy Weapon, Castle Crashers etc.

Conchord
02-25-2010, 07:04 PM
The 360 is a video game system, guys, please stop kidding yourselves.

Yahoo Facebook Myspace Msn and Aol are not "just" anything, they were complex websites for multiple uses that through the years built upon their audience. You can't compare apples to oranges, I mean, you have the ability, but it's not the most logical thing to do.

Actually they were NOT so complex, once upon a time. Like I said, look at google. You can do anything on google, if not more, that you can do on yahoo, and they have kept it simple. Also helps the ****ing load time.

Ainokeatoo-XBA
02-25-2010, 07:09 PM
The 360 is a video game system, guys, please stop kidding yourselves.

Yes like I said that's what it "is" but that's not all it is.

Actually they were NOT so complex, once upon a time. Like I said, look at google. You can do anything on google, if not more, that you can do on yahoo, and they have kept it simple. Also helps the ****ing load time.

They all were complex for their time, myspace had a whole bunch of things, facebook came after and followed in it's footsteps. Yahoo and MSN always had a ton of things on their site. Google is a search engine, of course you can literally do anything but it's not like what you're doing outside of the page is part of google.

Conchord
02-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Yahoo is a search engine too... actually, it started off as a search engine.

So.......................

Ainokeatoo-XBA
02-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Yahoo is a search engine too... actually, it started off as a search engine.

So.......................

That's the thing, that's not "all" it was or is, that is one of it's features. They built up off their audience, just like Sony did, Just like Microsoft did, and Just like Nintendo did. Yes they're all just videogame consoles, that's what you buy it for, but the extra options are there because they're building off of their audience and they're doing a good job since it is successful.

Conchord
02-26-2010, 07:05 AM
I still don't think you get what I am saying...

Google can do many of the things yahoo can, and yet look at their sites. One is cluttered, busy, and full of bright colors and images, the other looks the same (title graphic notwithstanding) as it did the day it came out. To say that google hasn't grown in function since its inception would be just plain wrong... In fact, I would say they have grown bigger and farther than yahoo has, and yet they do not feel the need to superficially aggrandize their website.

Simple is better, which is of course my opinion, but it is the opinion of someone who will no longer give MS their $$$, especially when I never see any of it returned in any form, whether that be actual enjoyment of the product or participation in some type of prize-winning contest. Video games are a headache and a wallet-ache, and MS charging for something like this just proves the point.