PDA

View Full Version : Ah the memories.

Ainokeatoo
02-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Do you remember?

At the beginning of this decade of gaming, the Xbox started it's life, it had huge shoes to fill with a large console company shutting it's doors with it's last Sega Dreamcast, being followed closely by the year old Playstation two and nintendo's Gamecube. It looked like Microsoft went on one if it's dream spree's off shooting for the stars, who would have thought that they'd actually succeed? We were all grounded in the Nintendo Sega and eventually Sony war. But this newcomer we thought surely would fail against the three beasts.

Gladly, after ten years it did not, in fact, it has grown larger and stronger since it's birth just like a growing baby, the creator staff and users of this site is evidence enough. Ten years ago, everything looked like a slightly better version of runescape, all the terrain textures were blurry, character models compared to now look laughably horrid, and the over all make of our last gen games were just horrible. Yes we all use the "Oldies but Goodies" line but by the eyes you have to admit that it was not the greatest looking games even though at the time it was amazing.

I remember the first game I played on my xbox the morning I got it as a present, New Legends.

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/100/image1847.jpg

As you can see, it was definitely not the most graphically appealing game ever made, but as a kid it was "fun" and at the time the graphics were amazing. Though, we still had Dial Up and I didn't know the meaning of "graphics". Gaming started to become a way my dad and I would spend time together as he got more into games, mainly Ghost Recon.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/gr3_640w.jpg

Nearly a year after the launch of this system one of the most revolutionary aspects of the console, the online multiplayer beta started, and with it an entirely new way on how games were played. Some now, even judge re-playability by it's online aspect that used to be non-existent. It really did revolutionize the console marketplace, taking where the Dreamcast started and dramatically increased it. New games came up new staples like Mechassault or MotoGP both that came with online "demos". It turned Halo from a pretty good single player story game to an online multiplayer universe drastically increasing in popularity and audience.

Though good times always come to an end, we did leave on a somewhat good note with the release of Advent rising.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/article/620/620664/advent-rising-20050531055141131_640w.jpg

One of the more hyped titles, you can see how graphically over the years the games improved going from a 2001 game such as New Legends to then with a 2005 game Advent Rising.

But nearly instantly at the release of the Xbox 360 that nearly all of us still own, the graphics drastically improved, with enormous beautiful environments like The Elder Scrolls Oblivion being the foundation for the future. Due to the upgrade in technology, the online systems of every console has also advanced making the times we live in, truly a time of tomorrow. Where we're more worried about the realism of a game's texture than the story we're to immerse ourselves in. Times really have changed, and for the better, the gamer's of the past two decades, have been able to witness the most drastic changes in our favorite past time.

While we can say pong was the greatest game in the history of games, can you really deny this?

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/105/1052228/mass-effect-2-20091204102152594_640w.jpg

So, do you remember? If you do, please share.

wicked_d365
02-25-2010, 07:56 AM
I remember the day my parents took us Kmart to get the first NES. We got home and fired up Duck Hunt. I can remember the day Super Mario 3 came out, we bought it new. I also remember getting my SNES, N64, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS, PS2, and 360.

I saw the graphic advancement on teh other side with the PS2. First games was Silent Scope, the sniper game, and Madden '01. The first time I loaded up one of the new games I was in awe. The advancement of graphics was jaw dropping and got better over time. I went from PS2 to 360 and all I can say is :hail:
I hated the original Xbox. Not the system, but the controllers. Stupid black and white buttons, that's what bumpers are for. The 360 is, IMO, one of the best systems ever.