PDA

View Full Version : Slim 360 coming soon?

wicked_d365
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Some photos have leaked of a supposed new board for the Xbox 360.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/107/1078172/Untitled-1_1268845744.jpg

The image shows the CPU and GPU being together in one unit, creating less heat and leaving more room on the board.

This is just a rumor at the moment, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. If they make a cooler, quieter Xbox, I'll buy it.

Kamshaft
03-17-2010, 03:21 PM
That could be anything.:confused:

Vampero
03-17-2010, 03:26 PM
I saw that post on Teamxbox 8)

Ainokeatoo
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
That could be anything.:confused:

Yep it could be anything, Sony normally does the Slims not anyone else though, so I doubt MS will follow suit, they didn't last generation, and I mean, they "just" now fixed their heat issue (RRoD) with the last updated console. Also, I don't think they can get any smaller and still use the Hard Drives like the PS3 Slim so I don't think MS could be making a slim version, but you never know.

Steeps5
03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
That fan/heatsink combination looks WAY too big to be in a slim unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fargoth
03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Meh I think the 360's size isn't too bad to carry around. It fits in all of my backpacks. If I need to move my xbox I don't plan on using a purse or a book bag.

HaZarD SFD
03-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Meh I think the 360's size isn't too bad to carry around. It fits in all of my backpacks. If I need to move my xbox I don't plan on using a purse or a book bag.

Im sure a new XboX Man Purse would look good on ya

Conchord
03-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Even better:

http://awesome.ly/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/fannypack.jpg

Variation-XBA
03-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Aino makes a good point, not sure how they'd slim it but still be able to use the hard drives

Steeps5
03-18-2010, 05:34 AM
Aino makes a good point, not sure how they'd slim it but still be able to use the hard drives
They could possibly design it so that the hard drive is on the top like when it's laying down =P

Steeps5
03-18-2010, 05:36 AM

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/107/1078172/Untitled-1_1268845744.jpg

The image shows the CPU and GPU being together in one unit, creating less heat and leaving more room on the board.

This is just a rumor at the moment, we'll have to wait and see how it plays out. If they make a cooler, quieter Xbox, I'll buy it.
Oh by the way, there is no port for an HDD on that board.

Flex Capone
03-18-2010, 07:45 AM

The chip to the left of the cooler does say "Microsoft" and "XBOX 360", but if this picture is not raw or straight out of the camera it may be fake.

SamSmith
03-19-2010, 07:52 PM
There's a rumour floating around that you'll be able to use external HD's

Flex Capone
03-20-2010, 05:43 AM
I heard about that. Seems closer to reality. The only problem is that they'll only allow 16gb from each external you attach, but only 2 external HDDs at a time (32gb max).

Kraft
03-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Oh by that way, there is no port for an HDD on that board.

Maybe the news of USB memory compatibility is making more sense...

sw0rdfish-XBA
03-21-2010, 12:28 AM
I heard about that. Seems closer to reality. The only problem is that they'll only allow 16gb from each external you attach, but only 2 external HDDs at a time (32gb max).
That makes no sense... why would they go through all the trouble to do this, then only allow a certain hard drive size? and when was the last time you saw a 16GB external HDD?

Furthermore, to the rest of us, what would Microsoft benefit from releasing a new 360? The unit overheats and breaks at the size it's at now, no one has ever complained of size when talking about the 360, and they just pumped out a whole slew of branded machines... ( thus taking away a good chunk of any upgrade buyers ).

It doesn't make sense... that doesn't mean it's impossible, just highly unlikely...

sw0rdfish-XBA
03-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Oh by the way, there is no port for an HDD on that board.

There's actually two SATA ports on the top left... which just leads me to believe this is either just some test stuff they were doing, or a complete fake cuz why would the XBox need two sata ports? RAID Consoles!

And they could totally use Laptop Harddrives inside the console to make it slimmer... there's just no reason... no one buys the PS3 because it's slimmer, they don't NOT buy the Xbox cuz it's too big... they buy the XBox cuz the software available is far better. MS isn't trying to out-do Sony on hardware performance, they can't.. the PS3 is a great piece of hardware, but it's nowhere near as a complete package as the XBox when you consider Software ( games, os etc.. ) Online support and oh yeah... Kudo

HaZarD SFD
03-21-2010, 07:56 AM
I could see these with solid state drives but they dont last as long as disk drives.. I think I seen in confirmed somewhere about external HDD's but cant seem to find it anymore.. They can also use Laptop HDD's and therefore have more room for the IDE.. but I dont see a DVD drive plugin anywhere on there.

sw0rdfish-XBA
03-21-2010, 11:12 PM
I could see these with solid state drives but they dont last as long as disk drives.. I think I seen in confirmed somewhere about external HDD's but cant seem to find it anymore.. They can also use Laptop HDD's and therefore have more room for the IDE.. but I dont see a DVD drive plugin anywhere on there.

There's actually two SATA ports on the top left... which just leads me to believe this is either just some test stuff they were doing, or a complete fake cuz why would the XBox need two sata ports? RAID Consoles!

IDE? Who needs IDE?

Duh self... Maybe that's SATA #2 :) The DVD drive.

Steeps5
03-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Those two at the top left aren't SATAs =P, they're the ones already in the current 360 for the disk drive (power and data separately)

sw0rdfish-XBA
03-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Those two at the top left aren't SATAs =P, they're the ones already in the current 360 for the disk drive (power and data separately)

No those are SATA connectors. Which is interesting.

I read the stuff on the 16GB limit and it's stupid, but it seems to have validity. The other rumour is that maybe these SATA connectors would lead to a build in Hard Drive a-la PS3.

I still think there's no way MS release a slim console... but maybe this was some R&D stuff.

Though who really knows... the life cycle of this Gen isn't going anywhere soon, so it might make sense... if it had a BluRay in it :P

I read some info here from Joystiq, it makes sense.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/18/ben-heck-ponders-xbox-360-slim-motherboard-memory-unit-support/

Conchord
03-23-2010, 04:36 PM
You know, I was just thinking to myself the other day, when is a MS owned subsidiary going to pawn out a giveaway for the superficial XBL avatars that are blatant ripoffs of something produced by Nintendo years earlier?

Fargoth
03-24-2010, 03:38 AM
You know, I was just thinking to myself the other day, when is a MS owned subsidiary going to pawn out a giveaway for the superficial XBL avatars that are blatant ripoffs of something produced by Nintendo years earlier?

Me TOO!!

Steeps5
03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
No those are SATA connectors. Which is interesting.

Oops sorry, could've sworn they were the disk drive cables at first but they aren't.

And that is quite interesting that those are there because it could definitely be built with an internal hard drive with this whole thing about external drives soon coming to use.

Younes90
03-26-2010, 06:09 PM
I doubt it, though I would hope for one